August 22, 2014

Judging Amy: My Name Is Amy Gray

by Bob Sassone, posted May 3rd 2005 11:02PM
Judging AmyYou can tell that the makers of Judging Amy are being a little cautious, naming this episode "My Name Is Amy Gray." Sure, it's a line that Amy gives in the episode, but it also acts as a final touch in case the series is not picked up for next season, sort of a "come full circle" gesture. The episode could have easily been called "Changes" or "Ms. Gray Goes To Washington," or maybe "Amy Is Fed Up And Wants To Start A New Life, So If This Is The Last Episode It Will End With A Change, And If It's Not, Then Next Year Will Be Different." You know right off the bat that something is wrong with Amy because she's walking alone in the pouring rain. No one walks alone in the pouring rain on TV or in the movies unless they are depressed and contemplative or confused. Amy is quitting her job and wants to find something else to do with her life. Donna rounds up a bunch of kids that Amy has helped, to convince her to stay, but Amy quits anyway, but not before helping one last kid (though we never do find out what happened to him). Meanwhile, Ignacio proposes to Maxine, who wants to adopt a 9 year old girl she saved. All in all, a fairly solid episode to end on (and I do think the show is ending). An especially nice touch: having Amy call someone she wished was in D.C. with her, and we all assume it was her mom because they just had a confrontation, but it's actually Bruce, who shows up at the last minute in to be with her! I really thought they were going to just dump the Bruce character for some reason, so that was a great surprise.

ellen

Am going to really miss this show. I watch on TV3 in Ireland.There is so much more to tell. It is very maddening.

December 22 2005 at 5:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mharris

Like the previous comment I'm late to the "party". I wondered in the Fall why Judging Amy wasn't showing, but kept waiting for it. Then suspected something stinky when I started seeing some of the actors guesting on other shows. After seeing at least 4 of them on other shows I knew Judging Amy was gone. However I didn't realize it had been cancelled! How stupid of CBS. This was the ONLY CBS show I watched. I loved the interaction of the characters. Cried when Richard Crenna died, was happy when Cheech Marin came into the scene and "Maxine" started opening up to him, had been waiting for the whole Bruce and Amy thing to finally happed since they had such chemistry. Who actually gets "polled" or monitered to come up with these ratings? I never have!! CBS has nothing to draw me to it's network other than my occasional viewing of "Still Standing", but I hardly even watch that. The least they can do is the 2 hour wrap up movie that's been suggested. Or some type of spin off.

December 15 2005 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jwest

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I finally decided to check on line when, puzzled week after week by my inability to catch my favorite show in CBS's new line-up, I could no longer ignore an insistent suspicion that another ground-breaking, innovative, creative, touching, and hilarious drama had become victim to network short-sightedness and greed. Alas, my suspicions were not unfounded. I am so disappointed in CBS! (Though I can't say I'm surprised. Actual artistic merit is rarely an adequate barometer of network programming choices.) This is one twenty-something who preferred CBS when it was catering to an "older" audience.

December 15 2005 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fay Rauser

I am sooooo sorry you cancelled Judging Amy, it was my favorite show and I know all my friends and family loved it also. Please bring it back!!!! Thanks

November 15 2005 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally Kennedy

What a year, Lost husband of 43 years Judging Amy and Jag. These were both shows with good writing and exellent actors. Can't believe that CBS would do this and wonder if the Actors were burned out?

November 14 2005 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

I cannot believe Judging Amy has been cancelled. It was one of few shows worth watching. It was never dull or unrealistic. I loved every character and felt I knew them intimately. I cried for 2 days after Richard Crenna died. I laughed for 2 days after Maxine went to Anger Management Class. Tyne Daly was spectacular. What a low down, crying shame.

November 10 2005 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Lewis

I just discovered Judging Amy was cancelled. I am really sorry to hear that as it was one of the few s=tv shows that I consistently watched. I loved the characters, especially , Maxine and Amy. Please reconsider.

November 02 2005 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harriet Isecke

I was very disappointed to hear that Judging Amy was cancelled. It is an intelligent show, beautifully written, with interesting characters. I found it very uplifting and hope that it will be returned.

October 29 2005 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harriet Isecke

I was very disappointed to find out that Judging Amy was cancelled. It is a wonderfully written and uplifting show. Please bring it back.

October 29 2005 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

Judging Amy was a show that our whole family would sit down and watch every Tuesday night on CBS. It was one of the few shows that is safe for children to watch with their parents, and it dealt with real life events. It makes me sick to think that it has been cancelled.

October 22 2005 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply