April 18, 2014

The Amazing Race 7: Finale

by Deidre Woollard, posted May 11th 2005 1:56AM
uchenna and joyceI knew the spoilers going in but that didn't make the end of the Amazing Race any less interesting. The teams head to Kingston, Jamaica.  Rob and Amber and Uchenna and Joyce are jubilant while Ron and Kelly seem to be gritting their teeth.  In the airport, Ron tells Kelly he has no immediate plans to marry her, making matters ever so much worse.

The Roadblock has the teams doing the limbo which only Ron and Kelly manage to make a completely humorless activity.  Limber Amber and Kelly earn an early time.  The Detour gives the teams the choice of raft it or build it—either create a reed raft or take an eight mile raft ride.  All the teams opt to build it which gives the men a chance to be bossy and the women to try to be supportive.  Joyce and Uchenna work well together while Ron and Kelly's growing dislike for each other slows their progress.  Amber stays out of Rob's way saying that she will make him happy and "after the race you can make me happy."
 The teams are off to Montego Bay for a pit stop but Rob and Amber get waylaid at a gas station and then a police checkpoint giving Ron and Kelly a chance to leap ahead.  Rob laments that the cop cost him one million dollars but then Uchenna and Joyce get a flat tire.  In a dramatic race, Ron and Kelly are first to the stop followed by Rob and Amber and Uchenna and Joyce but the stop is a non-elimination round.  Joyce and Uchenna have to surrender all their possessions and cash.

Next teams have to go to Lucea, grab a 50 pound bag of onions and chop them at a local restaurant.  Ron and Kelly are first to head out.  Uchenna and Joyce get a free ride to the airport and then go begging which starts hard as the meanies make Joyce cry.  Rob says that he learned to chop onions because his mother made him chop them in the basement.

At a Detour each team has to either play golf and hit a tee or take a horse for a swim.  All the teams choose golf with varying degrees of success. The teams must fly to Puerto Rico and then drive to their next clue.  The teams have to wait for the gates to an abandoned sugar refinery to open so amazingly they all catch up with each other.  The Roadblock requires one team member to jump off a bridge and swim.  Rob and Amber get confused and lose valuable time but to Rob's credit he doesn't seem to get overly angry.  Ron and Kelly get lost on the way to the airport and bicker yet again.  Rob and Amber sneak onto a flight and amazingly, after it is closed, Uchenna and Joyce get on too.  In Miami, the teams have to find the King of the Havanas and Uchenna and Joyce are first to find the clue that sends them to the Bonnet House in Fort Lauderdale.  Uchenna and Joyce get to the house gates first but need to beg for money to pay off their cabbie and still manage to make it in first.  Rob and Amber are a not-entirely-gracious second and Ron and Kelly are a very uncomfortable third.  Congrats to Uchenna and Joyce who plan to use the money to fund their dream of having a baby via in-vitro.

ierra

This is one of my favourite reality game show. I follow all the episode. But I am so upset with the result that Uchenna and Joyce win a million dollar! That was sucked! The truth winner in this games is Rob and Amber because they performed very well in all their games and you can see it that all of the amazing race episode before no couple could done amazingly what they have done. I agree with some of the comments here that producers of this games also plays a trick and it seems that at the beginning the result was set up by the producers. I'm begging that Rob and Amber win because I love they way they play the games even sometimes rob make other's couple Felt sick of Rob attitude but Hey!!! wake up guys that's the trick to win and Rob done it very very well. They've passion, desire to win a million dollar money. I'm wondering if I want to watch Amazing Race 8....To Rob and Amber you guys are the real winner of this games ... BELIEVE ME

June 02 2005 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judith

I love the Amazing Race - one of my favorite shows BUT what the hell was that? Obviously fixed to have competition at the very end. I am so disappointed in the show. I'm am trilled that U and J won. I like the way they are together - supportive and loving but I was a Rob and Amber fan the whole way through. Remember they were also supportive and loving with each other. They were also there to play the game and win. Isn't that the whole idea? Win the million? What was with the attitude from the rest of the teams? So what that they had been on another reality show and won the million? What difference does that make? Seems to me it makes them good competitors. Just the way we like it. A good compitetion. They played a great game, deserved to win and had it in the bag but they were robbed at the end by an obvious intervention by the produces and American Airlines.

May 14 2005 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I dont get the buzz why people hate Rob and Amber. They joined the contest to win thats all. People have overlooked the fact that they did all their roadblocks amazingly. No other contestants in TAR have shown such passion for winning which everyone should have because that the very essence of the show and not to show you are good person. I dont think they have done anything to deserve the treatment that they are getting. They deserve more applause for running a greate RACE...Rob and Amber are the real winners of The Amazing Race 7....ROB AND AMBER ROCK!

May 13 2005 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cruz

I actually had a plane open up for me once! I was at Dulles in D.C. and the walkway had actually been retracted, they did let me in. I guess they saw the desperation in my face. I've also heard from others who said the same has happened to them.

May 13 2005 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lance Armchair

Rigged! Funny how earlier flights in the race weren't held. And with AA a sponsor you know something went on. Naive to think otherwise. Too bad really 'cause in the end it hurts the show's integrity. But what am I thinking, CBS can't do 60 minutes right.

May 13 2005 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vix

I've been wondering about that plane stopping to let Uchenna and Joyce back on as well. That was definately the thing that kept them in the race without which it definately would have been Rob & Amber.

May 12 2005 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deidre Woollard

I've been enjoying everyone's comments on the finale and whether or not the fix was in on the Amazing Race. I just saw Rob and Amber on Live with Regis and Kelly and they definitely seem to think something was fishy with the plane being closed and then opened for Uchenna and Joyce. Our favorite loudmouth Rob stopped short of saying it was an out-and-out fix (must have remembered that legendarily-tight CBS contract at the last minute) but he did point out what everyone here has been mentioning, that planes don't do that.

May 12 2005 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charmaine octaviano

I never cried in a TAR ending before...I was touched on how eveybody was genuinely happy for them winning, (xcept 4 R/A who are obviously pissed off bec they lost their 2nd million n R/K who are pissed off w/ each other).They deserve every penny of it bec they are good people.I hope they get to have the child of their dreams.WE love u here in the Philippines!

May 12 2005 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Verity

I agree that the end was allowed for Uchenna and Joyce to board the plane. Going so far as having their taxi cabs arranged and the whole race being rigged, I don't know. But I do know that if only Rob and Amber had made the flight, it wouldn't have made for much of a conclusion. I wanted Rob and Amber to win. I like Rob's desire to win and Amber is hot. However, they do not need the money. Uchenna and Joyce do. Plus, Rob and Amber are probably getting some good money for having CBS televise their wedding.

May 11 2005 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
someon

Sure is a setup on the plane reopen part. I wonder if the FAA will seriously looking into this and find out the ugly truth. As much as I would like to see the most competitive team to win, U/J really deserves and will make good use of the million dollar for sure. But the true race winners are R/A.

May 11 2005 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply