October 1, 2014

The Upfronts: NBC

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 16th 2005 12:02PM

Read on for show descriptions.

fathomFathom is an action-adventure drama project from writers-directors Josh and Jonas Pate. The show revolves around mysterious creatures deep in the ocean, described to be in the vein of James Cameron's film The Abyss. (Mondays, 8-9 p.m. EST)

inconceivableMarco Pennette (All About the Andersons) and Oliver Goldstick (Desperate Housewives) have teamed up for new comedy Inconceivable about doctors, shrinks and lawyers who work in a fertility clinic. Starring Jonathan Cake (Fallen) and Ming-Na (ER). (Fridays, 10-11 p.m. EST)

e-ringE-Ring is described as The West Wing set at the Pentagon. The show was created by David McKenna (American History X) and Ken Robinson, a former Green Beret who consults for CNN on terrorism and military intelligence. Starring Benjamin Bratt (Law & Order) and Dennis Hopper (Speed). (Wednesdays, 9-10 p.m. EST)

My Name is Earl is from Yes, Dear co-creator/executive producer Greg Garcia. The show centers on a low-rent crook who, after winning the lottery, decides to use his limited yet oddly effective intelligence to right the wrongs he has made in his life. Starring Jason Lee (Chasing Amy). (Tuesdays, 9-9:30 p.m. EST)

Thick and Thin
, written by former SNL writer Paula Pell, centers on a formerly fat woman who struggles as she grows into her new skin while surrounded by her still-overweight family and friends. Pell is executive producing the pilot with SNL's Lorne Michaels and JoAnn Alfano.

Four Kings is a new comedy from Will & Grace creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnik. The show is an exploration of four lifelong friends on the cusp of adulthood.

The Apprentice: Martha Stewart will be along the same vein as the original Trump starring series, but instead hosted by Martha Stewart of course. (Wednesdays, 8-9 p.m. EST)

Three Wishes
is an emotionally unscripted series hosted by recording artist Amy Grant, where she leads a team of experts to a small town to "grant" (haw haw) wishes to help make the hopes and dreams of deserving people come true (Fridays, 8-9 p.m. EST)

Jaclyn

Hey, does anyone know the artist and title of the song from NBC's Inconceivable commercials. It goes.. "Sweet, sweet baby, I think maybe, you're the only one, you're the only one, for me." If anyone has this info please, inform me! Thanks so much, you're help is greatly appreciated! -Jaclyn

October 10 2005 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I work odd hours so I try not to get interested in too many TV shows. I stumbled across Crossing Jordan a couple of times before I ever caught what the name of it was so I could watch it again. I really like the show. Another one that I have found that I like is Medium. Other than those, the Law and Order shows are the only ones I have seen worth watching.

June 02 2005 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vince

Gordy I know what your saying i just feel the same way but going to the extreme of turning off my tv NEVER (do you hear me Nielsen send me one of your damn boxes)....Anyways will NBC ever learn that they just suck. Last year it was the number 1 network but right now I can't find anything else to watch there than Medium and the 1 episode left of those slow Revelations(really why the hell is that show so slow when it's only 6 eps long??)

May 17 2005 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alberto

TWW, L&O:CI, and Jordan makes for an interesting night of TV, but it is up against ABC's new monster Sunday, so it will be hard to compete. WW is actually my favorite show in TV, and my guess is that they only have one more season left of life. Too bad; a Santos' administration would have been interesting to watch past a few episodes. I'm also not impressed with what NBC has done to revamp their schedule. But they seem to have a problem other networks don't... they have a lot of shows in their last legs... which means they don't want to cancel them, yet they will only do semi-alright in terms of ratings. I believe this season is a transition year for them, we are going to see the last of show like WW, ER, CJ, to name a few, before they look to change it all. Having said this, my big problem is that they could have done a better job picking new shows to test. I'm not impressed with what they have come up with.

May 17 2005 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fdisk

I hate to see Contender and Medical Investigation go. Both great shows. I wouldn't be surprised to see either come back possibly late-season next year when some of the new shows inevitably start failing.

May 17 2005 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

A Friday night time slot is like putting a show in the coffin before it even gets started.

May 17 2005 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Trial By Jury was a good show. It sucks they put it on Friday night. I have a life, I'd download a torrent of it over the weekend to catch it. To know it's being replaced by a shows called "My Name is Earl" and "Thick & Thin" makes me want to turn off my television.

May 17 2005 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guido

I hope editmachine is right.. I'm a big Lee fan so hopefully good things will come from it.

May 17 2005 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
forzaq8

FATHOM share the same name with a comic from Top cow which is now going to get released by aspen comic the comic talked about creature from deep sea too , did they mention any relation with the comic ? and how would The Apprentice: Martha Stewart , work ? people work on cakes and install red carpets and at the end she tell them she doesn't like the color and give them a pie ? its bad we are losing The Contender , i enjoyed a lot and wished they did another season

May 17 2005 at 5:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

E-Ring sounds like it might be worth checking out but nothing else there grabs my attention, though as a Jason lee fan I'll have to check out his show. Fathrom might be alright too but with the sloppy track record major networks have with science fiction shows (obviously with a few notable exceptions) I don't know if I'll invest the time. If it is marketed properly and NBC gives it some time (sci fi / fantasy series tend to build over time as the "cult" grows) it might be worth checking out.

May 16 2005 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply