October 24, 2014

The desperation of Stephen King

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 8th 2005 3:30PM

DesperationDespite what the Internet Movie Database says, Desperation, the next TV adaptation of a Stephen King novel, will be produced as a feature for ABC, not a miniseries. King, on his official Web site, is singing the praises of director Mick Garris (who also helmed other King television adaptations such as The Stand and The Shining) and a cast which includes Ron Perlman, Henry Thomas, and Tom Skerritt. The question is: will it actually be as good as King says? Probably not, but both The Stand and The Shining were decent miniseries, especially when compared to such dreck as The Tommyknockers (where the cast seemed unaware of what movie they were in most of the time) and The Langoliers which ended with some awesome digital effects of creatures devouring time and space but was preceded by two hours of actors devouring my will to live.

Adam

Regardless of whether or not the book is good, that's a pretty sweet Mark Ryden illustration on the cover.

June 09 2005 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mp

I think The Stand is my favorite King miniseries... probably because it's also King's best story. After that, I'd have to say The Shining, followed by a tie for third with Storm of the Century and IT. IT would be firmly in third if the spider at the end wasn't so ridiculously hokey. I hope Desperation is good. I did like the book. It was a throwback to old King in a time where the stories were getting heavier on drama, lighter on horror.

June 09 2005 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

STORM OF THE CENTURY is my favorite TV adaptation of King. It was brilliant in every aspect--killer voice-over, great cast, superb hero and villain. And of course, a great story. The Tobe Hooper directed SALEM'S LOT would be my next favorite. It was very low budget, but had a great eerie quality--the floating vampire kid scratching his fingernails on the bedroom window. Man, creepy as hell. Imo, the recent King TV mini-series are way too kitchen-sink CGI for me. Every other shot is some cheesy effect that doesn't quite work.

June 08 2005 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

Woo! Ron Perlman!

June 08 2005 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TDavid

As long as it's better than Maximum Overdrive, it will be worth watching. It's amazing that some of the best and worst movies have come out of Stephen King. Dude literally could write something on a cocktail napkin and score. He'll go down as the most popular writer -- the critics be damned -- in this era.

June 08 2005 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply