December 19, 2014

TV Squad Poll: Will Nate die on Six Feet Under next week?

by Russell Shaw, posted Jul 27th 2005 8:53AM
Nate FisherAt the end of Six Feet Under's most recent episode "Singing For Our Lives," Nate collapses and appears to be fighting for his own life.

Will Nate die?

We have some clues.First, let us look at the medical angle:

This episode could be a repetition of his AVM, which flared up in Season 2.

AVM stands for "Arteriovenous Malformation," which for the most part you are born with.

The National Institutes of Health say that AVM episodes occur yearly in between 2 to 4 percent of people born with it. According to a University of Virginia study, of those AVM suffers who hemmorrhage, the death rate is 0.4 percent a year- or 1 in 250.

So statistically, it appears that this episode does not kill Nate.

Now as to the plot, we know that HBO did not choose to show highlights of next week's episode ("Ecotone") at the end of "Singing For Our Lives." That could mean HBO doesn't want to give too much away.

Or maybe not. You never can tell.

TiVO and TV.com each describe "Ecotone"'s theme as "Nate brings the family together." But in what? A bedside vigil? A drop-by as he is on the mend? A funeral?

Additionally, in your comments to my "Singing For Our Lives" review post, some of you related clues that would seem to point to Nate's demise.

Or maybe not. You never can tell.

I say he hangs on for a little while. His death - with four more episodes to go after "Ecotone," would be such a powerful event, it would dwarf most any other story arcs. And Six Feet Under needs those arcs for series closure.

But what do you think?  Vote in our Poll!

On 'Six Feet Under', Nate
Dies this week
Slowly snaps out of it
Just felt faint, now feels fine
Lingers between life and death

Vickie

With Nate dying in last night's episode,I found myself not getting ANY sleep at all last night. I tossed and turned the entire night with dreams of my own reality intertwined with Six Feet Under storylines. My husband's first words this morning upon rising were, "Gosh, I'm STILL upset about Nate. I don't feel like I've slept at all." I have a deep ache within over this...

August 01 2005 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Herman

In hindsight, I guess the Season 5 trailer may have suggested Nate's death after all. I just noticed that the white van in Nate's final dream when he died, made an appearance in the trailer too. You can see Keith dress as a trooper standing next to it while David drives by. Also there was a second Nate, walking on the desert road, when the first Nate saw him his SUV swerved, he came out but didn't see his twin.... just the dead bird.

July 31 2005 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

Damn, he's dead now let's hope Ruth is next.

July 31 2005 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann

he died tonight in the 31 of july episode.I can't believe it.our whole family is shocked.is it anotherdream?

July 31 2005 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Herman

I wonder if the Season 5 trailer gives us a clue about Nate's fate. Rico and Vanesa are together in the same car (actually they appear in duplicate). Ruth and George are too, but George drifts away. Keith and David are together (seemingly more so than ever). But Brenda and Nate are in different cars, and Nate encounters the SFU black bird after his SUV nearly swerves off the road. Could this symbolize Nate's death.....

July 31 2005 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peggy Mills

I voted that he 'lingers between life and death' because I don't want him to die in such an unhappy state. That would provide fodder for many shows to come - right to die themes, etc. However, I suspect that the writers may start killing off the cast one by one and Nate just happens to be first. I love the show and don't want it to end but we know 'all good things must end.' Therefore ... let the end begin ... (Does anyone else think that the adoptive fathers will be whacked by the kids?)

July 28 2005 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joann

I think the Fishers will all die.What a way to END a show

July 28 2005 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gilbert

i think nate dies soon. laura ambrose was on Fresh Air recently stating that they filmed the last episode in the desert, with that in mind and hearing nate freak out about green funerals and being burried in the dirt last episode... this also reminds me of when he burried lisa in the ground. full circle, creating and ending lives.

July 27 2005 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Nate's a goner. I think he will die in the next episode and then his "ghost" will come back to help his family members cope with the loss. They couldn't just end the show with his death...we need to see what happens to the other characters and how they adjust to life without Nate.

July 27 2005 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nakameguro

i hear that they will bookend the entire series with the death's of both "Nathaniels" - Daddy in ep 1 , son in the final ep.

July 27 2005 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply