October 25, 2014

TV Squad Poll: Where will Nate on Six Feet Under be buried?

by Russell Shaw, posted Aug 5th 2005 11:47AM
Nate in comaAs most of you know, Nate's death was depicted at the conclusion of "Ecotone," last week's Six Feet Under episode. Scores of you have been commenting on this development, and wondering what it means for the remaining three episodes (you can see results of the last poll on Nate's fate here).

One thing is certain- or at least as certain as certain can be in this quixotic show. Given that Six Feet Under is centered around a funeral home, the decision on how and where to bury Nate will surely be a major component of  SFU's concluding story arc.

There are many possibilities. We have some clues. You can cast your vote below.
I suggest four possibilities for Nate's burial:

In the family plot, next to his Dad. Not only would that be the most traditional send-off for a member of a family in the burial business, but Nate and his late father have been "talking" for five years. This would allow the circle to remain unbroken.

Cremated, ashes scattered in the Pacific. Nate has often dreamed of the ocean, including a dream shown in "Ecotone." The Pacific seems to hold some spiritual meaning for him, and this was the body of water from which his late wife, Lisa, washed ashore after being murdered.

Cremated, buried in the desert next to his first wife, Lisa. When Nate took Lisa's body from the funeral home and took it to the desert to be buried, Nate emoted like I have never seen him. Plus, a reader reported that in a recent television interview, Lauren Ambrose (Claire) said that the last scene they filmed was in the desert.

Nate's death was a dream or NDE. He'll wake up. Stranger things have happened on Six Feet Under. Yes, I know Nate's obit appeared at the conclusion of "Ecotone," but what if this was either a dream or a Near Death Experience?

Personally, I lean toward the desert cremation. But what do you think? Vote below, and also enter a Comment if you wish.

POLL CLOSED: Results

Rebecca Huston

But as David mentioned in the previous episode, Nate had never changed his pre-need from cremation. Doesn't that legally bind them to cremation?

August 07 2005 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Brown

Lisa was not cremated. I don't think they would lay him beside her, though. I think they will bury him 'green' somewhere though. I like your version of him possibly not being dead. I would like it if these whole five years have been a dream to Nate and he wakes up, the end scene being him going off to work at the food co-op.

August 07 2005 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally

That's right--Lisa was not cremated, because she did not want to be. That's why Nate buried her naturally into the earth, which is exactly what he said that he wanted. He told David and Rico this on the previous episode before his death.

August 07 2005 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally

August 06 2005 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leebo

I agree with Jason, Nate specifically said what kind of funeral he wanted. However, remember when there was some talk about who has the legal rights to plan things? I think it was when a young woman had died, and her parents wanted one thing and her husband wanted something else. I can't remember their names so I might be wrong about this. Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm not sure what will happen. In one of the upcoming scenes, it showed David asking Brenda what she thought he would want, and she said she had no idea. Brenda looked pretty freaked out and upset. Nate dying just about broke my heart.

August 06 2005 at 4:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Nate asked for a green burial (without the use of chemicals, casket or anything) last week, though illegal in California. I'm surprised this option isn't on the list, as I could imagine David honoring his brother's last wish, as Nate did for Lisa.

August 05 2005 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa E.

I don't think Lisa was cremated.

August 05 2005 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James Kew

I thought it was actually Lisa's *body* Nate buried in the desert?

August 05 2005 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hoon Park

Umm... way to spoil the episode with this thread title. You couldn't do a "Spoilers Anonymous"-esque thing with this? Luckily for me, I caught this episode yesterday... otherwise, I would be boycotting your site for sure! ... ok, so maybe that's a little extreme. Nonetheless, I think you guys should reconsider putting such a huge spoiler in your thread title.

August 05 2005 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply