October 25, 2014

Battlestar Galcatica: Resistance

by Jen Segrest, posted Aug 8th 2005 10:54AM
Adama’s back! And just in time.

In just the last week, while he was sleeping, Tigh has:  declared martial law, disbanded the council, caused the fleet to revolt demanding civil authority restored or they won’t get any more supplies, let the religious whackjob of a President escape with the old man’s son in the lead, and manage to be behind the order that got some civilians killed at a riot. Even his own crew is turning against him and covering for each other.

That’s a hell of a week. No wonder Tigh’s hitting the bottle more than usual with that crazy skank of wife of his.

Tyrol is suspected of being a Cylon and it’s only natural I suppose under the circumstances  considering his past with Boomer. It’s actually something I’ve been suspecting myself since season one, we’ll see later if I’m right.

The first time Tyrol sees Boomer in the cell you feel almost sorry for her with his hateful disgust, almost… but it was Baltar’s scene with her that had my heart pounding the fastest.

Gaius took a very unexpected dark turn by almost killing Tyrol to get Sharon to frantically divulge there are 8 more cylon agents in the fleet. I’m not sure what he’s going to do yet with that info yet, but knowing Baltar it will all into the 'protect my butt' file for future use.

Baltar is becoming more comfortable with Six’s constant commentary and looking less and crazy from the outside even though he’s far less sane than ever. James Callis is an intriguing actor to watch, there is a lot of subtlety in Baltar’s madness and every week I find myself more and more focusing on him when he’s onscreen to see what he’s not saying with those oh so pretty eyes.

Callie turns on Baltar -- after he saved her life no less -- threatening to blackmail him over his shooting Crash on Kobol. That teamed with her angry tirade across the ship left me confused where normally quiet Callie who last week was too scared to snap into action went. I understand she was loyal to her shipmates, but it seemed a little overzealous even for Tyrol’s sake. And when she went all ‘Jack Ruby’ and shot Boomer as she was being escorted to another part of the ship was it for Tyrol or Adama?

The nature of Tigh’s relationship with wife Ellen takes a dark twisted turn. She derides him, even punches him, over his letting Roslin and Apollo escape instead of blowing them to a million pieces just as Adam enters wanting to know what’s going on with his ship. Surprisingly, Tigh says he’s screwed it all up and Adama doesn’t get angry. It was Tigh’s job and he did it how he saw fit and people not in control don’t understand what goes on when you are in that place. I think Adama will be cleaning up this mess for sometime.

God I love this show.

ansirman

Galactia Boomers blood dropping in the exact same spot as Tyrols, is far, far more than a symbolism of some love that they may have shared. In my opinion it underscores the mixing of "species" that must occur for the human/cylon hybrid to come to fruitation. This appears to be the goal of the cylons. Think about it they can't procreat on their own (as the Gods demand), and they are clearly missing something, the human experience, love, whatever. I feel that the writers of this series have done a superb job of captilizing on every human emotion that the viewer has. Some of it primitive and raw, others that have been locked away in your memory, only to be awakened by the similarities. For example, when Galactia Boomer got shot, it was unsetteling. A few minutes later I realized why. When I was five years old I was watching tv with my mother, only to witneess Lee Oswald, exetuted by Jack Ruby. It was riviting. Until last Friday night I completly forgot about this. I can still remember my mother crying. These writers are gods.

August 17 2005 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Good ol' DVRs mean that you can go on vacation and not miss any of the good stuff. Anybody notice if Starbuck still has the Arrow of Apollo or is it still laying on the floor of the museum where she got her butt kicked? Be a real pain if she gets shot, has her ovaries harvested and almost gets killed to get back only to do a Homer and realize she forgot the one thing she went there for. Tigh and his wife are a real piece of work, aren't they? Wouldn't it be a kicker if one of the eight cylons on board turn out to be one of them? Don't really think so, tho. He's just a puppet for his wife, the power hungry witchie-poo. Was really surprised when Cally did a Jack Ruby. This show just keeps getting better and better. Is it Friday, yet?

August 15 2005 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Bruce

Anyone else calling comcast to complain about them taking away Sci-Fi from the basic cable lineup? Hopefully it's all a lie. http://www.tvsquad.com/2005/08/08/comcast-moving-sci-fi-to-digital-offerings/

August 09 2005 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Hmmmm, funny how Cally killed Boomer right as she was being taken to a new cell to be experimented on...

August 09 2005 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

August 09 2005 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Hadley

I don't think you all are giving The Old Man enough credit. Would he have probably kept Rosalin locked up? Yeah, I think so. But I think he might have listened a bit more when she started rambling on, and I don't think he would have declared Martial Law or dissolved the Quorom. I just can't see him doing all that. I saw all that as a reaction of Tigh to seeing it all spinning beyond his meager control, not really a smart move by any measure. But now that that's happened, I have trouble seeing Adama just welcoming Rosalin and Apollo back to the fold. I don't think they would have made as big a deal of them running to Zarik if it was just all gonna be moot next episode. I actually wondered if Adama coming in was a dream Tigh was having, as it all seemed too good. Adama was saying all the right things, everything Tigh wanted to hear. I don't think Adama can countermand Tigh's orders willy-nilly without essentially making his XO a useless commodity on the ship; if Adama shows that he thinks Tigh made the wrong decisions, how can the rest of the survivors ever trust Tigh should something happen? Not that there's much chance of that in general, probably, but I think Adama has to do all he can. And as for Starbuck...to be honest, I'm getting tired of Helo being off on his own. Get him back to Galactica already! He hasn't been there since the miniseries, if I recall correctly? But there must be some important stuff going on on Caprica if they need to have both Helo and Starbuck there to deal with it. I also felt very sorry for Galactica Boomer. Part of me is hoping she'll somehow survive. But I think her death was very symbolic. Anyone else notice how the blood that dropped from her dropped and acted in EXACTLY the same way as the blood that dropped from Tyrol did? I had visions of Tyrol (not a Cylon, in my mind, but I could be wrong) helping to spearhead the inclusion of a ship full of runaway Humanform Cylons wanted to join and be protected by Galactica in like 3 seasons... As for whether or not Boomer was in control when she shot Adama, no, I don't think so. Galactica's been such a deep, amazing show that I think it would be WAY too simple if all the Cylons were bad and evil and horrible and that was that. I think what we see from her is real, from her admission to Tyrol to her concern for the Old Man. I think, in the end, that will be the downfall of the Cylons; the humans they created will betray them, much like the Cylons created by the humans betrayed them. Remember the overall theme, from the Articles of Colonization, is repetition; all this has happened before, and all this will happen again. Enough rambling. Truly an amazing show.

August 08 2005 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Your not alone MK. Tigh was basically carrying out Adama's orders and tried doing what he would do, though poorly executed in his alcohol soaked head. I think had Adama not been shot, he would have made the same command decisions, but would have received more support from his bridge crew. I feel they respect him too much and don't believe they would have plotted to help the president escape behind his back.

August 08 2005 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mklopez

Am I the only one concerned with the idea that Adama will NOT clean up Tigh's mess? that he will back up his XO. keep the martial law, and hunt down Roslin and Apollo? After all, he was the one who gave the order to imprison Roslin. And in Adama's view, little has changed since he has been in a comma. Stabuck is still missing (with the Cylon raider), his son is still on mutiny, and Roslin is still creating civil unrest... at least, that's how a hollywood writer could justify it! Have we mentioned before that this show is frakking awesome? ah, we have? never mind...

August 08 2005 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Caolo

I really need to watch this show.

August 08 2005 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph

Just a short note to say how much I'm enjoying this series. Good, gritty sci-fi. And the kicker is that it's about the people *first*, not the sci-fi. The sci-fi is background. Great casting, great acting, great writing, great direction. And the music is perfect!

August 08 2005 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply