July 30, 2014

Is there really nothing on TV?

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 9th 2005 7:17PM

On more than one occasion I've heard a family member, friend, or stranger claim they watched something lackluster on television because "there was nothing else on." I've always found this statement odd, as it implies that even if there's nothing on, you still have to watch TV. I can't think of any other medium where people do this. I've never walked up to someone reading a book and had them exclaim, "God, this Michael Crichton novel is horrible, but there's no other books in my house, so I have to read it." Anyway, if you tend to watch TV just because it's there, you should know it's that kind of attitude that keeps shows like Scrubs on the air, and nobody wants that.

Elisa

OMG! are you crazy Scrubs rules how could you not think its funny i mean theres great acting the flashbacks are hilarious and following the lifes of these characters such as J.D, Eliott,Turk and Carla,thers no other show id rather watch on T.V. And cmon you have to laugh at J.D's fantasy scenes. This show is awesome!

October 02 2005 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reese Olson

*shamefully blushing* I read crap things because I have nothing else around to read.....

August 10 2005 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PhantomProphet

It's not all in good fun. You have no idea what good television is. You are the kind of person that gives network execs reasons to keep giving Wanda Sikes show after failing show. Why would you pick a good show to pick on when there is "who wants to be a Hilton" or "American princess" out there that makes our country look like back water, no class fools to the rest of the world? You sir have no business writing for a television blog when you yourself have no respect or credible opinion on the medium.

August 10 2005 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladygoat

I totally disagree that Scrubs is mediocre. And as a matter of fact, I have read books or magazines that weren't that interesting simply because they were what was on hand (like in doctor's offices or planes, for example). But I have noticed that since getting a TiVo, I do watch a lot less of the mediocre TV you end up on when you want to watch TV just to relax or decompress. The difference is that I have a lot of good shows on hand to watch when I want to. Then if there's nothing on TiVo that interests me, then I know there really isn't anything good on and I turn it off.

August 10 2005 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

It blows my mind that you don't think Scrubs is funny. I suppose you don't like Arrested Development either? Maybe According To Jim is more to your liking.

August 10 2005 at 3:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
N-Dawg

This is "Op-ed"? A one-paragraph piece with a groundless cheap shot at what many would consider to be one of the smartest and funniest shows on television? Classy.

August 10 2005 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Truong

Scrubs has to be the only thing on the NBC line-up that is worth waiting for and watching. How can you rip this show when this sites panders to The Daily Show everyday with a special preview section. This is the kind of show that people just watch because it is on. How many times can you hear Jon Stewart ramble on and make references to some stupid comedy bit or literary commentary form the '60s.

August 10 2005 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrossi4r

I've read lots of crappy books because there was nothing else to read. In a pinch, I'll even read AAA World or grocery circulars.

August 09 2005 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

Well yesterday was a good example everything on TV was crap while any given day gets you at the most 100 TV shows to choose from, with books everyday you can choose from millions. But I don't understand people who never watch TV even once a month will get you a documentary or special that can not be properly put into books. Wings & Caroline in the City proved your point years ago.

August 09 2005 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PhantomProphet

How dare you talk like that about the comic genius that is Scrubs??? If you despise clever writing, multi-dimensional characters, or great acting, then yes, Scrubs isn't for you, but if you are an intelligent person with a sharp wit then it is a custom fit. Of all the brainless television out there this is what you chose to criticize??? You sir, have no taste.

August 09 2005 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply