October 24, 2014

Six Feet Under: Everyone's Waiting

by Russell Shaw, posted Aug 21st 2005 11:30PM
Nate Fisher Sr.Yes, it is over, as it was and is meant to be.

And what a worthy send off it was. Pure art, a thing of beauty.

The final episode of Six Feet Under started out with an arc of thwarted change...
Claire FisherJust as it seemed some of the main characters were to undergo transcendant and transformative experiences, complications came calling. Claire was offered a photographer's assistant job in New York, but the company she was going to work for got sold and pulled the offer. Rico and Vanessa's dream of owning their own funeral home did not proceed as planned.

Claire summons the strength to fight back, and to pursue her dream. And so as we see Claire drive past the eastern horizon and chase opportunity despite her temporary setback, we know that her destiny will be one of success, love and kindness.

That's because time has a way of making things right. And as we get a glimpse of the future, we see that the tender mercies of fate finally turn around to give the Fishers blessings for decades to come.

From what we see in the last 10 minutes, it appears that the lives of all but one of the currently surviving major characters are destined to unfold in a way that fulfills their dreams for a long time to come. All but one lives a long lifespan, unbeset by the violence and tragedy that filled this unparalled show for five spellbinding years.

Five spellbounding years in which the trials of all the surviving characters were to either keep them with, or to solidify them to, partners who they would be with for the rest of their lives.

In this way, art imitates life. Many a couple who has grown old together found their union formed out of the hard clay of tragedy. Certainly this has been true in the world that we are saying farewell to in "Everyone's Waiting."

And we leave knowing somehow, somewhere, Nathaniel Fisher Sr. and Nathaniel Fisher Jr. are smirking and smiling. As they are the ones waiting for the rest to join them. Wherever they may be.

In time. In good time. In a time long after Claire drives past that horizon.

Rick

SFU is one of the best written shows I have ever seen. The choice of the last song was a beautiful fitting end. Thanks HBO and especially Alan Ball

August 23 2005 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jerom

There will never be another like it. I too haven't shed a tear in many years but last night I did...a lot. A whole lot. Thank you to everyone associated with '6 ft under' for the shocks, laughs, fright, tears, and the reason for us all being here. And so it ends...time to let go.

August 22 2005 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey

I wept myself to sleep, just like the prior emailer. The SFU characters touched my heart and soul and like most of you SFU viewers, I'm sure you feel the same way. We lost a friend of 5 years, a friend I will dearly miss, and will take time to heal the vacant spot it leaves. Thank you Mr. Ball, as much as I would have LOVED 5 more seasons, you gave the Fisher family a gracious final bow.

August 22 2005 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric

I wept like a little schoolgirl. and since i am not a little schoolgirl, and i am also mostly stoic, i would have to say that this was an extremely powerful series. i have never felt so very close to a fictional character, not on screen anyway. kudos to HBO and the writers. what a great ending. And a killer soundtrack the entire way. from the first episode to the last, the music was perfect.

August 22 2005 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joost Schuur

Nicole" Breath Me by Sia.

August 22 2005 at 4:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Herman

The end was bittersweet. Like the funeral of a close dear friend that lived a very long good life. As the final titles were rolling I asked myself... when will I look forward to seeing anything on TV like I did SFU? I'm sure something will turn up. Maybe.

August 22 2005 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nicole mendoza

does anyone know the music track listings for this episode? mainyly, the last song?

August 22 2005 at 2:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply