April 25, 2014

Kanye West unscripted

by Annie Wu, posted Sep 3rd 2005 12:15PM
kanyemyersIf you watched the Hurricane Katrina concert last night, you probably saw an emotional moment from singer Kanye West. He and Mike Myers were supposed to come on the concert like all the other celebrities and urge Americans to give money to help the victims of the hurricane. Myers started reading off the teleprompter like everyone else had done and then looked over to West when it was his turn. West, on the other hand, decided that this was the perfect opportunity to voice his opinion on the matter. "I hate they way they portray us in the media. When you see a black family, it says they're looting. You see a white family, it says they're looking for food," he starts. You can easily hear the emotion in his voice and you can see Myers nervously standing by as West continues. Afterwards, Myers attempts to get back onto the teleprompter but it's obvious he's rather schocked by what just happened. He says his little bit and then West finishes by saying simply, "George Bush doesn't care about black people". Myers tries to tack on the Red Cross phone number but the camera immediately cuts to Chris Tucker, who looks caught off-guard.

I think most people felt it was refreshing to see West use his right of free speech in that manner, regardless of whether or not they agree with his opinion or thought it was rude. You can watch the video at the Read link.

Steve Johnson

I'm a huge Kanye West fan.. I'm a preppy white guy and that is friends with everybody no matter what color background whatever. I like him but that comment is rediculous i'm from the coast of mississippi.. i live in gulfport and my city and coast are destroyed black as well as white..and all other ethnicities lost everything they have including family members... I don't think its right to say a comment like that when we have all been affected. Today i heard that he refused to come down to my school at the university of southern miss campus for a concert they even asked if he would do it for the hurricane victims and he turned it down.. now as a huge fan that really pisses me off and i don't know what to think about him now.

November 17 2005 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tanya

Here is the actual script of what Kanye said: "I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family, it says, "They're looting." You see a white family, it says, "They're looking for food." And, you know, it's been five days [waiting for federal help] because most of the people are black. And even for me to complain about it, I would be a hypocrite because I've tried to turn away from the TV because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what is the biggest amount I can give, and just to imagine if I was down there, and those are my people down there. So anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help -- with the way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible. I mean, the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize a lot of people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way -- and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us!" Read it carefully. The way I took it, he said that America is not set up to help the poor, the black, or the less well off. He wasn't just specifically focusing on helping black people. He also admitted that if he spoke on the subject, he would be a hypocrite because he went shopping before he sent any money down there. I applaud him for speaking his mind and having the guts to say that, he admitted that he didn't help when he should have and called on other people to help as well. I think everyone is just focusing on the last line of his comment and not what he is trying to get across. We need more people who aren't afraid to go against the grain, after all that is how change is started.

September 25 2005 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chas. LeRoy

I don't particularly "dig" Kanye's music but, hey, I love the guy's point blank, no bullshit approach. We all know he was just saying what we all were thinking. Hell, he was saying what I already knew regarding Mr. Bush and peeps. This is, perhaps, the most cronyistic, fuck-America-God-Save-The-Rich-Republican Administration we've all seen in decades! And we elected Dubya not once...but twice!!! God, I miss the Clinton Years! Al Gore's "lock box" wasn't that bad an idea, too! On a closing note: why the fuck is America in Iraq when we can't even take care of our own cities?! FEMA is a joke...Fucking Embarrassing My America!

September 22 2005 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YUSEF

I AGREE THAT WE NEED TO FOCUS ON THE RELIEF EFFORT FIRST AND FOREMOST. BUT PEOPLE, PLEASE LETS PRETEND THAT THIS COUNTRY HAS A DIFFERENT HISTORY THAN IT DOES. RACISM WAS, IS AND WILL BE A PROBLEM. IGNORING THIS PROBLEM IS NOT GOING TO MAKE IT GO AWAY.

September 13 2005 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I loved that he made his opinion known but goodness everyone is focusing on races and forgetting that everyone was affected by what happened not just one race and we are all from the same country and we should just stop using races as an excuse and get people over there to help EVERYONE out because whites and blacks werent the only people affected the WHOLE country was affected not just one group of people

September 13 2005 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tembo jua imhotep

if one were to erect a horoscope for the exact time and place (latitude and longitude) of Katrina's landfall, obviously the most appropriate caption would be "ENDGAME : Death of the American Empire". http://tinyurl.com/bz9o8 fortunately, there will be no "shelter from the storm" this time!

September 12 2005 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

Dont forget that Kanye West happens to be one of those 10 percent that are incredibly wealthy. I'm sick to death of the entire race argument. Its to lopsided. The black community needs to focus less on how hard done by they are by the government and focus on fixing the problems in their own communities, like the gangs raping and murdering while the city drowns. Its people like that are keeping the black community down, not white politicians.

September 11 2005 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tamika

Right on, Andy Rooney! Andy Rooney said on "60 Minutes" a few weeks back: I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door. Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game. I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in! the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE? I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off. When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the Law of Probability. I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English! My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours. I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry behind if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines. I don't think just because you were n ot born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business. We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations. I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building. It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, a! nd say "NO!" I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries! I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great gra! ndfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else And if you don't like my point of view, tough... DON'T PASS IT ON!!

September 09 2005 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maegan

First off, I hate the race card being used for everything. I know black people who are disgusted by some of the people in New Orleans. If you want to blame someone about being racist blame the media. They are the ones showing the people looting, they are the ones portraying it that way. Also why don't people take a look at what they are seeing. There are people being raped, houses looted, guns being looted...for protection...yeah right. But here we are, oh the poor people, no one cares about them because thery're black. People ARE trying to help them, Houston has taken thousands refugees into the astrodome where people are complaining about what kind of sandwhiches they are getting. Come on people, some of these people have been on welfare for years,taking advantage of the system, they have that entitlement attitude. I am not speaking about race here either, white or black.I've heard of 12 yr old girls being raped there. I will say that most of the people there are really appreciative. But how can you help some one (and why would you want to) who are not appreciative and think nothing is good enough. Yes I agree things should have been done faster and I truly believe something went wrong with the way things were handled but playing the race card is the easy way to blame someone for what happened, I honestly don't think it had anything to do with race. You can't blame bush, if you want to blame someone blame congress. I don't know if anyone knows this but Bush can't make a decision with out congress okaying it. Ever heard of the saying "It takes an act of congress to get something done" Blame Fema but come on, people are just blaming Bush because they hate him, this is childish sh*t

September 09 2005 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whatup

FONT? Lettering? What are you talking about? Here's a definition of lettering for you. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Lettering This is just one example. What are you exactly are you talking about? Check out post 88. Can anyone cipher or care to cipher what you meant in that post? Anyone? You're writing things that sound good to you. But in reality it only makes sense to you and no one else.

September 07 2005 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply