July 23, 2014

Geraldo Rivera might sue The New York Times

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 7th 2005 9:44AM

A lot of people are beginning to say that the whole "Geraldo rescues woman" story wasn't what it seems. One of them is Alessandra Stanley at The New York Times. She reports that Rivera "nudged" an Air Force worker out of the way so he could be shown on camera helping a woman in a wheelchair. But Rivera went on The O'Reilly Factor and showed videotape that proved that's not what happened. The NYT has not issued a retraction, and Rivera might sue.

Meanwhile, Stephen Elliott over at Salon says that Rivera made the rescued woman walk from the FOX news van to the heliport twice, so they could get the better shot for the camera. This hasn't been confirmed either.

What do you think? Are people being unfair to Geraldo in this situation?

Danielle

I'm not sure if it's true, but if it is... what a jerk.

September 27 2005 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laren Bowers

You've got to love Geraldo. I really do think that his heart was in the right place when he went to rescue that old woman with the dog. However, I have to admit, I laughed my a** off when I saw the countdown with Keith Olberman and he announced that Geraldo was todays "worst person in the world" for making that woman do two takes of her rescue. His mustache is so hilarious looking that you can't help but laugh!

September 15 2005 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fmilne

Geraldo for real??? Puleeeze, give me a break. This guy is the Al Sharpton & Jesse jackson of the press corp--Johnny on the spot to get HIS mug on cam. Geraldo is a BIG FAT JOKE.

September 14 2005 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Can someone provide a link for this clip involving a helicopter? Because that is not the one O'Reilly was showing and Geraldo defending, like Steve said.

September 12 2005 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassyfrass

I saw the video and at first I thought the person was Geraldo, but then noticed he was the one in the back. The guy in front carrying the lady down had a moustache, same hair style and build like Geraldo. I think Stanley thought that was Geraldo, but in reality he was the one in the back. It was an error and the paper should correct it.

September 12 2005 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Milhiser

I saw the same clip that Peg is describing in #17. I told my wife about it afterwards and said that it seemed odd that National Guardsmen would just allow Geraldo to help lift a wheelchair-bound woman into a helicopter. I thought it looked staged and self-promoting. However, that wasn't the clip that Bill O'Reilly was showing the other night when Geraldo was bitching about the New York Times. Is this spin in the "No Spin Zone"?

September 11 2005 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kittie

people like geraldo get what they give... and have given... and deserve it... as does fox news... which i still believe is head and shoulders BELOW new york times as a news source no matter how many frivolous lawsuits they want to file.

September 10 2005 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peg

I watched live the incident the New York Times is reporting about. It is not the clip that Fox is showing. I was shocked at I watched Geraldo muscle his way in front of a military person to 'help' put someone in a wheelchair into a helicpoter, not down a staircase. I never liked him before, but this really did it. I have sent two emails to Fox asking them to show the correct clip and no response.

September 09 2005 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Byron Norris

I continue to be appalled how the management of the NYT's chooses to take the low road on many issues. This statement by Ms. Stanley appears to be in error. With all the important news, regarding the hurricane,why does the Times elect to cover such a trivial story? Plus at this point the Times is not retracting or even suggesting that the story is being further checked. The current style of your paper has taken a great newspaper tradition and trashed it.

September 09 2005 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

The photo at the top of this story is of Floritta and Dusty. The stink is about another woman, wheelchair bound that they were helping down the stairs of an apartment building. I saw the clip tonight and it appears that an unidentified man had the back of the wheelchair and Geraldo was at her feet as they lowered her step by step down the stairs backwards. A uniformed man runs up to help when they have about 4 steps left to go and it looks like the unidentified man is saying "no, I got her." The soldier/airman never got near enough to Geraldo for him to push him off, so I don't know where the reporter got the story. I think Geraldo is a megalomaniac, but he appears to be innocent on this one.

September 08 2005 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply