September 17, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Flight of the Phoenix

by Jen Segrest, posted Sep 19th 2005 9:03PM
Sharon II delivered last week, but no baby was seen or even alluded to this week. I don't want to think that Adama would approve any experimentation on a baby, cylon or otherwise, but to quote Hans Solo; I have a baaaad feeling about this. I just know when they finally reveal it it's gonna be a doozy that we'll be talking about for weeks.

I'm sure Sharon II helping the Galactica fight the virus the Cylons had planted (when Tigh grudgingly allowed a network to be set up for a few minutes to plot a course faster when the old man was in a coma)  was motivated partially by fear for her child's future. She did manage to actually turn it back at those nasty toasters and then some, boy howdy.

I think the Cylon-hybrids have a future in IT though, if they can get over being mad at being called toasters they might give Microsoft a run for their money in "Patch Tuesdays".

An interesting thought cropped up last week about this Sharon. She seems to be off the grid. The others had no idea that she'd made it into the fleet, let alone had the baby and that it lived. Not even Sharon III knew for sure. It brings up a lot of questions about why and how Sharon II is doing what she's doing.

Tyrol's designing and building the ship broke my heart watching him struggle alone determined to be useful while his fleet is crumbling around him. It also solves a few questions we all have had like "how are they going to fight cylons when they keep losing ships?" - they'll make them. I expect Tyrol's plans will be finessed and a place somewhere in the fleet will be set aside as an assembly line. It did make me wonder where the carbon fiber came from though. Is there a carbon fiber fairy on board? Can Sharon spin it from her fingers like a spider?

It did turn out to be one sweet ride, and I think we've barely begun to see it's potential yet. I have a sneaking doubt Starbuck has a new ship and the Gods help anyone who touches it. Speaking of touches, naming it after President Laura Roslin was a nice one.

Bernardo

I agree with the last comment. If the Pegasus sticks around for a few episodes and then disappears like in TOS. Well, we'll see! I'm along for the complete ride wherever it takes me... unless the baby comes out as Dr. Z (See Galactica 80) ... at least I think the name was Z.

September 20 2005 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TAD

I'm pretty concerned about the previews for next week. Running into another Battlestar. I can just see it that this new Battlestar will eventually be forced to sacrifice itself for Galactica which will then be forced to adapt an awful lot of it's previous crew. That will be pretty damned cheesy.

September 20 2005 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobias

My guess is that the carbon panels came from the thousands of Cylon raiders they shot up after Sharon infected them with a virus. Sent a crew out and cut 'em up for scrap.

September 20 2005 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Obadiah

I love TV Squad... but this is the SECOND time I've seen "Han Solo" referred to as "Hans Solo". STOP IT! :)

September 20 2005 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wassily

Sharon didn't deliver last week. She was bleeding due to pregnancy complications and almost miscarried, but the baby was saved. It's still in her belly.

September 20 2005 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
morituri

What struck me was that Tyrol started building the ship after his fight with Helo. He mentioned that he and Sharon were planning to leave the military and start their own family together. With "his" Sharon gone, in a weird way Tyrol was creating something - a child - that he could never have.

September 20 2005 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt E.

I think they may have pulled the panels off a decomissioned Raptor. Isn't it supposed to be a scout ship? Maybe it has stealth, too. Remember that Helo and Sharon are Raptor pilots. Either that or they just have the manufacturing capabilities to produce carbon composites. It's a big fleet. Also, I thought it was kinda odd that they named it Blackbird, as in SR71 Blackbird which is a spyplane.

September 19 2005 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply