April 25, 2014

Watercooler Talk: Jack's Tattoos

by Jen Segrest, posted Sep 24th 2005 9:37AM
Okay... I know I posted another entry about tattoos yesterday. It's a coincedence really despite my obsession with Dr Jack's tats on Lost. Specifically the large one on his left shoulder. The tattoo's have been mentioned in the show, and he was pretty adamant about not discussing them and knowing how clues are everywhere on this show I started hunting some pics of them.

It seems he has several tattoos including the one on his shoulder we see often, and Matthew Fox will never tell what it means. The giant 5 some have said comes from his days on Party of Five when another cast member got one. The Chinese characters seem to reference an ancient Chinese poem.

So the tattoo was there before the show, but that doesn't appear the show writers intend to ignore it. I hear he has a few others that they've covered up on Lost, and someone reported that they had also covered up the large one with the 5 for scenes before his wedding, and it shows up again after that debaucle. I'm betting they work it into the show mythos and center a flashback ep around it. At a certain point I fear that everything means something... how much is too much?

Drew

What is the tatto that Jack has on his left inside arm?

November 02 2005 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jacks arm

Anyone heard of the 5th special forces group? Check out the tattoo seen on the Rocks arm in "Walking Tall". Possibility that after sarah died he joined the army as a medic (being a qualified doctor and all). This is just my rather cynical brain working here, and if this is the case I'm sure that the knife-mad locke would have picked up on it. Perhaps Jack was a spec ops operator? Jacks Arm

October 19 2005 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

Did anyone notice in the first season there is one episode where for one scene Jack's tattoos were on his right shoulder instead of the usual left shoulder? Any explanation for that?

September 26 2005 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vail Reese, MD

Jack is not the only cast away with skin issues. For the skinny on new "Lost" strandee Michelle Rodriguez, check out the dermatology in the media blog. Her tendency to three distinct skin conditions does not detract from her poise and talent. Check it out at: http://skinema.blogs.com/skinema_dermatology_in_th/2005/09/michelle_rodrig.html Keep up the great work... --Vail Reese, MD www.skinema.blogs.com

September 24 2005 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Didn't he say in one episode that the "5" meant the five seconds he counts down from fear? Or something.

September 24 2005 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oli young

I remember somewhere that the tattoos have been writen *in* to the story, and yes, like everything, it's a clue.

September 24 2005 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply