December 21, 2014

The Amazing Race 8: Episode 2

by Deidre Woollard, posted Oct 5th 2005 1:09AM
amazing race rogers familyIt's race time and those super-aggressive Gaghans are ready for action. Meanwhile the Paolos continue their mom-bashing and I'd almost feel bad for her except that she is one hell of a nag. These two families stand on either end of the Amazing Race family spectrum between organized to the point of scary and unable to function without massive fighting. In the Rogers family, young Brock gets the hook after not managing to get the family to Washington D.C. to Middleburg, Virginia and they  drop off the map for a little while.
 Tonight's itinerary takes us from Lancaster, Pennsylvania to Washington, D.C. to Virginia. The roadblock challenge sets one person off in search of a person with a briefcase that matches their own. I love it that they showed some people saying the password "the sky is blue" to people who had no idea what they were talking about. After chilling at the wrong reflecting pool for a few hours, the Gaghans don't seem to realize they are in the wrong spot until the long lost Rogers family shows up. The difference is that the Gaghans quickly make up for lost time while the Rogers continue to flounder. At the Detour in Virginia, the teams must take part in a Civil War reenactment by either lighting oil lamps or transporting the wounded. For teams with small children, you'd think that carrying the "wounded" would not be an option. That's not the case for those Gaghans, those kids better carry their weight. First in at the pit stop are the Weaver family followed by the Linz family and the surprisingly tough Godlewski girls. Meanwhile, the dad in the Bransen family keeps getting yelled at for lagging behind but luckily they don't lose because otherwise those girls of his would kill him. It's the Rogers versus those feuding Paolos in a race for last but the Rogers come in last and are Philiminated. Why oh why couldn't it be the Paolos? They seem to talk at twice the volume of every other family in the show.

Denise

You've all made it crystal clear why I haven't been as into the show as I always have. I originally thought the family idea would put a different spin on it but unfortunately it did to its detriment. And only driving around in this country is boring, boring, boring. That's what made the show so cool before, seeing all those far-away places. Doubt if they'll get an Emmy this year!

October 06 2005 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robb

True this edition is not as good as previous ones, but i am not giving up on this show. Perhaps it will pick up as more of the teams are eliminated. I will look forward to getting back to the teams of 2 for Race 9. Perhaps an all-star version could be in the works? Would love to see the Bowling Moms, Terri and Ian and others go at it again. Worked for Survivor, why not the Race?

October 06 2005 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

I gave up on this show halfway through the first episode of the season. I can't buy in to the whole family thing. Note to all television producers, the words "family edition" do not necessarily make a better show. In fact, they rarely bode well for a program. I hate family editions of anything. And if they're not going to other countries, then what's the point. I want to see them going places I'm not likely to go. I live in the US, so it's not that fascinating to me. I've been to Canada. It might as well be the 51st through 64th states. Ok, the French can have Quebec. If you're going to trick up the show, throw in some competitions for traveling money or something like that. Don't whip me with unweildy, four-person teams, and leave the kids at home with a sitter.

October 05 2005 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Espy

They have to have special rules because of the children. Did you notice that they all started around 8am? I'm sure they did a ton of research and all the pitstops and challenges are designed to keep those kids from working too long in whatever locality they may be in.

October 05 2005 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Actually the will apparently be leaving the United States... they're supposed to be coming to Canada later in the series.

October 05 2005 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LeDiva

Wait, they're seriously not leaving the country? That's so lame. Personally, I kinda like the Paolos. But then again, I grew up in an Italian family, so it's nostalgic for me to see that kind of bickering. I just hope I was never quite as cutting to my mom as the Paolos' kids are.

October 05 2005 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Yeah, the lack of international destinations is a serious turn-off for this season. Half the fun of the Amazing Race, for me at least, has been seeing all of these incredible locales around the world that I'd never heard of. Now its just roadtripping around Amish country and Washington DC. Boring.

October 05 2005 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Did anyone else fail to realize, like myself, that they aren't going to leave the country?? How boring! Evene Phil now says, "The second pitstop...in the Amazing Race." instead of "in a race around the world." No fights at the airline ticket counter? No pleas (or ruses) to get on an earlier flight? Booooooo.

October 05 2005 at 6:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply