July 26, 2014

Alan Alda's favorite MASH episodes

by Adam Finley, posted Oct 6th 2005 3:27PM

Alan AldaMy parents always watched MASH when I was growing up. When I got older I started to watch it in syndication and became a fan. After all these years it's easy to see some of the cracks in the facade, but for the most part I think it's lionized status is well-deserved, even those later episodes when Alan Alda got behind the camera and crammed important lessons about the human condition down our throats. Speaking of Alan Alda, he recently named some of his favorite episodes of the series for CNN. Got any favorites of your own?

Robert

Rainbow Bridge and the Practical Joker episode featuring Sydney Freedman are up there but my number one is from season four, "The Late Captain Pierce" featuring this dialogue between Hawkeye and BJ on Digger's bus full of dead soldiers. BJ: Are you really going home? Hawkeye: Finally. I've been fighting death since I've got here. I'm tired of death. I'm tired to death. If you can beat it, join it ... (he rolls over and looks at the covered bodies) ... right boys?" That's about as powerful as the opening shot of frame from the original movie.

October 15 2005 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad

The MASH Olympics that started as a weight loss program and the one where it was a freezing cold winter period, and everybody had to consolidate into just a few tents for warmth were two of my favorites, and how can you forget any of them with 5 O'Clock Charlie?

October 06 2005 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Marks

Ok first off the booby trapping episode was "The Cowboy" a very good one. Then Tuttle was the other one. A great show. His names was infact Jonathan S. Tuttle from battlecreek. Good times The the Cia man was Col Samuel Flagg played by Edward Winter my favorite episode is Soilder Of the Month

October 06 2005 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

What was the name of the crazy CIA Colonel? I loved that guy. He played it so straight. .

October 06 2005 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Coble

Remember the episode where someone was booby trapping Henry Blake? My favorite vision is Henry standing there after the latrine exploded. Toilet seat around his neck and toilet paper streamers falling down around him. And he says, "boom!" A classic!

October 06 2005 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply