April 23, 2014

Torchwood: A Dr. Who spin-off

by Keith McDuffee, posted Oct 18th 2005 6:48PM
dr. who captain jackGod, I can't remember the last time I caught an episode of Dr. Who, sadly. My dad introduced the show to me long ago, but it just never caught on for me. But I know the show has a huge following, so this is probably some very exciting news for you. The BBC will be filming a spin-off of Dr. Who featuring Captain Jack, titled Torchwood. The new series is reportedly more "adult in tone" and will take place in modern day England, with Captain Jack and crew investigating alien activites ala X-Files. So, if this show is more adult-like, does that mean Dr. Who is meant more for kids?

[via Slashdot]

TAD

The fact that Captain Jack is bi-sexual should make the show pretty darned interesting...

October 19 2005 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vince

BTW the region 1 dvd is coming soon to Canada. The BBC just announced it would be available in Canada in January

October 19 2005 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

If you "can't remember the last time you caught an episode of Doctor Who", you've only seen the older shows and you owe it to yourself to beg, borrow or BTorrent some of the new 2005 shows with Chris Eccelston as "the 9th Doctor". The show was all new, smartly written, had very good special effects and was 45 mins to an episode. There are 13 episodes in the new 2005 series and they are available via Amazon UK but not yet available at the US store. Check elsewhere on the net for specific episode reviews (google outpost Gallifrey or Strange Horizons) but go cathc the new Doctor and get up to speed!

October 18 2005 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

Torchwood will be great to see, more Dr. Who universe plus more adult themes. While I'm a novice in Dr. Who lore I do know that it started as an educational show and always kept a family friendly tone, even in the midst of the horrific aspects. Its not really suprising that Torchwood while be more adult, the last season was definitely more adult, Davies was a creator and writer of Queer as Folk.

October 18 2005 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vince

how cool is that Torchwood is an anagram of doctor who. I thought it meant something else...like the "Bad Wolf" thing

October 18 2005 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vince

I was so damn sure they were going to give captn jack his own show. can't wait for dr.who to comeback and to see if this show can be as good as it seems

October 18 2005 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply