August 30, 2014

Gilmore Girls: The Birkin

by Karina Longworth, posted Oct 20th 2005 2:13PM
A lot happened in this episode – Taylor renamed all the streets in "Historic Stars Hollow"; Emily started mailing Lorelai antiques to "smoke [her] out" of their fight; Richard accidentally pressured Logan into marrying his granddaughter. But above all else, this episode will be remembered for one thing and one thing only:

This was the one where Logan gave Rory a Birkin.

It's not as dirty as it sounds. A Birkin is a purse, made by Hermes. They are extravagantly expensive (in the four to six figure range, depending on when it was made and out of what); they are always in demand, and they never go out of style. Owning a Birkin is a big deal; getting one as a "just because" gift from your boyfriend is almost unheard of.

At the start of the episode, Emily assumes that Logan and Rory are havig problems, because she hasn't seen him around - and, of course, because Rory's been sleeping until 8:30. But when she hears tell of the purse, Emily becomes as cheerfully flummoxed as Emily Gilmore ever gets. "That's a VERY nice purse," she tells Rory. "A Birkin bag! A Birkin bag for Rory! I'm just saying, Richard never bought ME a Birkin bag. Oh, this is exciting!"

The bag forces the issue of where Rory and Logan are in their relationship. Now, I don't know very many rich people, and I've certainly never dated anyone with the means to obtain accessories that have their own wait lists. But does one buy one's girlfriend an Hermes bag if they think they're in a casual relationship? If they're just "hooking up", or "hanging out", or doing whatever it is the young, attractive people do nowadays?

But you've seen the promos, if not the episode – you know that Rory says "I love you," and Logan doesn't exactly respond in kind. In fact, he says, "The lady who sold this purse to me said that was going to happen." It wasn't all that bad – Logan went on to say, "I've told a lot of girls I love them before and I didn't mean it, so I'm not going to do that to you. Woah ... that didn't come out right." They end the scene with a big kiss, but if I were Rory, I'd be immeasurably confused. If Logan doesn't love her, what earthly reason might he have to buy her a $10,000 purse – and in hot pink, no less!

Cindy

Hello, I am from Mexico, I just saw the Birkin ba this Thursday 12/15 and all of you are right. I love the serie but something else has to happen and soon. I wouldn't like to lose interest on the show just becuase the writers are not good enough. Please do something!!! I am a big big fan of the Gilmore Girls, I have a very similar relation with my mom just like Rory and Loralai, that was I felt in love on it.

December 16 2005 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Addie

I think the last two shows have been an improvement on the first few, where the fun seemed to have gone out of it. The lack of focus on Luke and Loralai bothers me also - in this episode they seemed almost indifferent to each other. Last week when Luke told Loralai that he wanted to be wherever she was, Loralai didn't respond the way you would expect - she didn't even kiss the guy. After six years, I want to see these two on Cloud 9 together!

October 21 2005 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan Running

I agree with jmv that this episode was pretty much null and void. Nothing happened. Personally I'm enjoying the Rory-Lorelai conflict and I'm glad they chose not to tidy it up in two episodes, but I do wish something would happen.

October 20 2005 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weezy

I was a bit frustrated at this episode as well, I don't like how little we are getting of Luke and Lorelai. They don't seem, let's get married and live together forever in love, to me. Emily has become the best thing about the show, the sending packages, brilliant, the doll house, the birkin bag, the snooping, the drawer full of tootsie rolls comment. Buy the way, it looked like an ostrich skin birkin, not a measely leather variety. I am sure the prop people got it off of Ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LARGE-PURPLE-OSTRICH-BIRKIN-HANDBAG-BAG-PURSE-A214_W0QQitemZ6813400712QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

October 20 2005 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmv

"A lot happened in this episode..." NOTHING happened in the episode! It took the entire show to advance the plot 2 beats! I found it extremely frustrating that the writers are seemingly ignoring all interesting conflict in the show and not even filling the void with the witty banter and irreverent humor the show is known for. Gilmore Girls is quickly becoming the show that I assumed it was before I ever saw it and fell in-love.

October 20 2005 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply