October 25, 2014

George Takei reveals he's gay

by Keith McDuffee, posted Oct 31st 2005 1:40PM
george takei gayIs this news? Well, it's the first I've heard of it. George Takei came out of the closet recently, admitting to the world that he's been in a relationship with another man for the past 18 years. I wish I had some applicable Mr. Sulu Star Trek quotes to throw at you, but really he wasn't all that quotable of a character.

L'Emmerdeur

One of my all-time favorite Trek quotes: Captain Hikaru Sulu: In range? Helmsman Lojur: Not yet sir. Captain Hikaru Sulu: Come on, come on. Helmsman Lojur: She'll fly apart! Captain Hikaru Sulu: Fly her apart then! From Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country.

November 01 2005 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

That closet had a glass door. Next someone is gonna tell me Richard Simmons is gay. Some of the best Takei quotes aren't even from Star Trek, but rather from the Howard Stern show. I always loved when he was on ranting about Shatner.

November 01 2005 at 7:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JJ

I really applaud George Takei for coming out. However, anyone suggesting that he should have done it long ago does not read the news. There is still extreme homophobia and outright hatred of gays in American culture. In my home state of Wyoming, a young man loved by his friends and classmates was beaten to death simply because he was gay. And church groups celebrate his death each year in his home town - not church groups from Wyoming, these jerk travel in from out of state just for this purpose! I would not blame anyone for staying in the closet. On top of that, it is any individual's right to do whatever he or she may want to do in their private life, and to keep it private! I really don't like it when people try to preach about who should come out and when they should do it.

October 31 2005 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dianebrat

I'm glad George has finally exited the closet, but COME ON.. EIGHTEEN YEARS? it's been safe to be gay in Hollywood for decades, like he was going to get typecast? I can only think of how much good he could have done for the gay trek community (which is damn big) had he been a little more open. And the worst part is that this wasnt a huge surprise, it had been quietly accepted for a long time.

October 31 2005 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Great photo but I prefer this one: http://jc1701.com/georgetakei_x.jpg

October 31 2005 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dominic a

how about do you read cnn.com or any other news outlet, this broke on friday. i hate reading old news.

October 31 2005 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

How about, "Oh, my!"

October 31 2005 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RAB

Consider this dialogue from Futurama episode 4ACV11, "Where No Fan Has Gone Before": Nichols: What if I distract them with my famous fan dance? Shatner: Oh, that's good, good, good, good. And then, George, you give them a karate chop! Takei: I find that offensive. Just because I'm of Japanese ancestry you assume I know karate. Have I ever led you to believe I've studied karate? Shatner: Well, no, but you never talk about yourself. Takei: (sadly) Maybe if you showed a little interest. Courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/theneutralplanet/transcripts/season4/4ACV11.html

October 31 2005 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply