April 24, 2014

Jason Bateman has throat surgery

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 1st 2005 12:09AM
Jason Bateman is SickAccording to the website of everyone's favorite TV magazine-turned-tabloid, production of Arrested Development has temporarily shut down while star Jason Bateman recouperates from throat surgery. Executive producer Mitch Hurwitz tells TVGuide.com that the show is definitely coming back and merely taking a break to allow Bateman time to recover. Jeez, let's hope so. For all we know, FOX could use this as an excuse to cancel the darn show. Y'know, like replacing a quarterback as he recovers from an injury. AD is due to air during the entire November sweeps period, so maybe FOX has some faith in it, despite it's declining ratings.  Or maybe they're buring off episodes so they can squeeze in a second showing of Stacked. I guess we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

Dennis Williams

Ver funny and original, this show makes you think how dysfuctional how families can be. If you do not think so then possibly yours is. The originality is, sophisticated and fresh and makes you laugh at true reality. Creative was this Monday's episode (11-7-05) on the use of the word "Pussy" was hilarious. Hope to see many more episodes. Keep producing !

November 08 2005 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurie

AD is not only the best show on right now, but the best show ever. It is hard, however, to start watching when you have missed the first two seasons. I have advised several of my friends to rent the first two seasons, watch the episodes in order and then watch season three. That seems to work much better and many of my friends have gotten hooked that way. One friend who was very resistant to starting a new show started season one on a flight to London. He watched for 6 hours and disturbed all of the other passengers with his laughter.

November 08 2005 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
redapples

At least you are having the show screened! I am in Australia and we have one network who has sporadically screened some episodes from season one at 11pm during the last year or so. I tuned in only to see what it was about as I was aware it had won Emmys. I've since had to purchased the season 1 & 2 DVD's from Ebay and Amazon, and don't know when I will get to see any of season three, and I am turning as many people onto it as I can. It has got to be the most brilliant comedy I have ever seen. **There are dozens of us. Dozens!**

November 02 2005 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Davis

Preferring quality, intelligent entertainment, over derivitive, laugh-track retreads is not a mark of snobbery, but instead the only choice for someone seeking that. There is no way I could force myself to enjoy something like Two and a Half Men or Everybody Loves Raymond, because it is not my taste. I don't look down on the fans of those shows, and I don't think that I am a snob for not liking me. However, I have been attacked for enjoying Arrested Development and have had people unfairly call me a "snob". Who now do you think is being the snob?

November 01 2005 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

I think there's an inherant dividing factor in this show: the family element. All things aside, it's a show about family. Anyone who has, or has experience with, a nutty, maybe dysfunctional but ultimately loving family will most likely find hilarious. Sure, AD takes it to extreme levels, but there's not an episode that goes by that I don't think something along the lines of "good god, that reminds me of what uncle so-and-so did last fourth of july." A lot of the humor is just lost on folks who can't relate to the family themes. As for the rest, it's highbrow humor, which is typically lost on most. It also relies on its own, creative jokes rather than "found" or "recycled" jokes from elsewhere in the world. People watching AD need to be able to create new humor pathways in the brain to make room for clever things like Nevernudes, Teamosil and Analrapists. It's a shame. I guess AD is just too good and too intelligent for most Americans. Good thing we have quality comedies like The War At Home to substitute.

November 01 2005 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reid Sorenson

Well, just because the ratings are "droppong" doesn't mean all the unpleasant people are, too. :)

November 01 2005 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mutehead

Forget "Stacked". Fox already has. I think they renewed it because they needed something to fill whatever time slot it's in and didn't have anything else. What I'm wondering is why Fox is bringing AD back when it can keep showing the dull "Prison Break" five times a week or however often it's on now. Let me also say that I cannot understand why people don't find AD funny. It's probably the best show on TV, but that doesn't merit badmouthing nonfans. I think they're wrong myself, but to each his own.

November 01 2005 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

Thank you for proving my point. When someone says they don't like the show, they get their intelligence insulted by fans. Obviously we are not "sophisticated" enough to get it. If the show is viewd only by pompous snobs, then i am glad its ratings are droppong. That means there are fewer unpleasant people in the world.

November 01 2005 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AJ

Well, I must be the exception to most of the new viewers. Sure. A lot of the inside jokes and relationships are lost on me; I've managed to piece some of it togather. I still chuckled at bits like that idiotic chicken dance, Bob Loblaw, Analrapist, roofees, 'Family Loves Micheal', Surrogate and some other things. That's more than *any* "laughtracked" show has given me in years. So, I've added AD, along with Scrubs, as the only comedies I'm watching this season. And I'm going to rent the DVDs, piece-meal, and play catch-up.

November 01 2005 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erika

Jaime- all I have to say is .... Bob Lawblaw If you don't get it, your missing out.

November 01 2005 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply