April 18, 2014

Watercooler Talk: Should this man be wearing a tie?

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 2nd 2005 12:44PM

Kimmel the natural wayFlipping past the late-night talk shows, I've been noticing something that's sticking out like a sore thumb with a Smurf bandage on it: Jimmy Kimmel has started wearing a tie. I don't know when this happened, but I'm guessing that he's been doing it in an effort to class up his show and make it appeal to more than his frat-boy core audience.

But there's a problem. He looks awful in that tie. It's not the fact that he seems completely uncomfortable wearing it -- both Leno and Letterman would rather wear potato sacks than the suits they're forced to don for their shows -- but it just doesn't look right. It looks like he's about to read his first Hoftorah rather than host a late-night talk show. Isn't Kimmel supposed to be the "every guy", the guy who sits with you sucking down beer and wings during the football game? What's wrong with not being like the other hosts out there?

Anyway, Kimmel fans and non-fans, we'd like to hear your opinion, so comment away.

KQ

I like the tie....Jimmy looks good. He looks good without it as well, but the tie makes him appear more put together.

November 16 2005 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I watch Jimmy Kimmel Live most nights. Some ties look really nice. Some look like they belong to those circus clown hobos.

November 15 2005 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K H

Oh, and I forgot one more thing - if he has to wear the tie, someone please teach him how to tie a proper knot, instead of that stupid a** college boy style tie tying. I am sure Ms. Silverman can help him.

November 11 2005 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K H

I watched him his first week on TV when Snoop was his guest host...that was awesome. I was flipping through and saw him with the tie, and I must say, it does make me tune back into the show just to see if it is classing it up more. I might start tivo-ing Conan and watching Kimmel live, although I don't think he can hold his own with Conan. All will be right when Conan switches time slots in a few years.

November 11 2005 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven Romano

I agree with Jill, Jimmy would not be wearing the tie if it was up to him. Get over it!

November 03 2005 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jill Bryan

The tie was not Jimmy's idea, although I think he looks rather handsome.

November 03 2005 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael G

Jimmy needs to drop the tie. The Frat boys image should live on.

November 02 2005 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guido

If it's ratings he's after maybe a Clown outfit would work better. Eventually all "edgy" shows go corporate. Letterman, Conan and now Jimmy...

November 02 2005 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacy Hall

He should wear a bowtie that spins around whenever he says something funny. PS- Here's a sub-Watercooler Talk to your Watercooler Talk. Did you see the other night when he had Bobby Brown on dressed like James Brown and Mike Tyson dressed like a vampire and singing a song together? ESPN has been re-playing the hell out of it. I know a lot of people don't like Jimmy, but he makes me giggle. He seems to be taking Late Night TV to a whole new level of insanity.

November 02 2005 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply