September 22, 2014

Have Kitchen and Arrested gone out of Development?

by Karina Longworth, posted Nov 10th 2005 11:26PM
kitchenconfidential.jpgSay goodbye to FOX's Monday night schedule –  though neither has been "officially" cancelled, Variety is reporting that both Arrested Development AND Kitchen Confidential have been taken off the schedule, "effective immediately". Arrested returned from its baseball-forced hiatus this week, and Kitchen was originally set to come back this coming Monday. Now, Arrested's episode order has been slashed from 22 to 13, and rumors are swirling that Kitchen won't be going back into production at all. Both series have shows in the can, and it's expected that they'll come back in December to close out their runs, as FOX was already planning to shove them aside for new episodes of House in the spring.

I'm going to put on my helmet. Feel free to manifest your anger by throwing things at you computer screen right ... about ... NOW.

Belgand

Indeed Fox has plenty of other underperforming shows that nobody watches. I don't think anyone watches "The War At Home" and if it's as bland and pointless as it looks in ads I can't be suprised. That 70s Show is clearly on its last season now that a good chunk of the cast is gone, they've all grown up (both on the show and quite obviously in reality), and very little of it makes any logical sense with the ways they've tried to keep it going. Stacked looks like a piece of utter crap that I can't believe was ever picked up in the first place and it was given a full run after showing up late last Spring. Quite frankly Fox has very few shows that people bother to watch, but when they do they tend to do very well. Right now The Simpsons, Family Guy, Prison Break, Arrested Development, and House make up a the majority of the network shows that I watch (the only others being Lost, Alias, and CSI). So rather than holding on to crap that probably isn't doing well in the ratings either, they choose to cancel a critically acclaimed, Emmy-winning show and keep cycling in season upon season of forgotten new crap in the hopes of finding a hit. If they cancel AD they're unlikely to replace it with something that does better, but if they hold onto it they'll make the vocal and rabid fanbase quite happy as well as the critics and end up looking classy. In the future when people point to AD as an example of excellent television they'll also be looking well on Fox, rather than lambasting them for canceling yet another excellent show.

November 14 2005 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MyBrainHurts

The show should have been moved back to Sunday night between Simpsons and Family Guy. Why would you take your most award winning comedy away from your strongest night which airs nothing but quirky, semi-edgy comedy? Make lazy America sit through AD out a few times and you'll start setting a few hooks. It's been like pulling teeth getting my friends and family to watch it the first time, but everyone I've ever shown it to has loved it. Plus, The War At Home is awful. My guess is that the amount of money spent to retain such a enormous cast of this calibur has something to do with Fox's decision. There are so many people critical to the tightly woven plotlines of this show that the cost was probably far too high to keep funding without any viewers.

November 13 2005 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Messer

I dunno about this show...I have not watched it from the beginning....but I have seen all the episodes this year. I don't find it funny at all, and I usually like different shows like this. However, the characters just seem to ridiculous for me to laugh at. This could be because I have not watched from the beginning as many point out....but that is my take.

November 11 2005 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tyrone

yea, this is sad stuff, and i like ponies too.

November 11 2005 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerry

I cannot believe they are goign to slash arrested development and possibly cancel it, FOOLISH. SO many of my freinds and collegues watch Arrested and will be extremely disappointed. Fox better be prepared for the massive decline in ratings for their other programs. Viewers already invested in a show like Arrested and are not going to want to get into a new drama every other week since Fox can't possibly run a show for more than a few seasons...whats the point in watching?

November 11 2005 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

I know the ratings have not been great, but FOX can still burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. They never really promoted the show. Maybe they figured that every critic out there was doing it for them, so why bother marketing it? And pulling it and swapping it and all that... but I do think it was above the heads of the average viewer. Not that I think I am smart (quite the opposite!), but it was nice to be asked to think for a change. I hope one of the smaller networks or HBO picks it up, but I don't have high hopes. They'd have to do it fast before the actors and writers make other plans. I see FOX yanking everyone for a while before swinging the final axe, making a network change difficult. I'm going to go cry now.

November 11 2005 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ooda

To be honest, I'd rather Arrested Development be dead than on the WB.

November 11 2005 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris McMahon

Forget writting Fox, write HBO and ask them to pick it up.

November 11 2005 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

Maybe the WB could pick up AD. They let shows like "what i like about you" still run when it scores deadlast in the network ratings. Does "the war at home", "stacked", "american dad", "malcom in the middle" really have better ratings? I rather the show be put in a obscure time slot like "malcom in the middle" then completly cancelled. My friends and I are addicted to this show and have been since the day it first aired! We have slowly introduced friends to it, and if they watch more than two episodes they are hooked. Can't they run a couple more two-hour marathons after sweeps? Someone will hopefully pick up the show...maybe a network will care more about the emmy attention than the ratings.

November 11 2005 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rico

No! It's not true! That's impossible! Sorry. Had to channel Luke for a second. Seriously, though, we are living in a time where network TV is grasping at straws, trying to save its audience from fleeing to cable channels with superior programming - channels like HBO, FX, et al. They need immediate feedback, they want instant gang-buster ratings; they all want a Desperate Housewives. Notice I mentioned DH and not Lost; DH, the O.C., shows like this are perfect, because (generally) they're cheaper to produce than a show like Lost, and they're shallow prime-time soap operas. Gone are the days of Married with Children, where FOX had no other options. They have tons of shows in the pipeline, and if AD doesn't (didn't?) quickly show some good returns, it gets dropped on the side of the road. Personally, I think a cable network should snap it up, seeing as how the big 3 (4?) cater to the lowest common demominator. Arrested Development deserves better than this. Kitchen Confidential? What? The only redeeming thing about that show was the lead character's ex-girlfriend, the Asian girl that used to be on 90210. Man, she was smokin' hot.

November 11 2005 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply