October 25, 2014

Surface: Episode 8

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 14th 2005 9:24PM

SurfaceOK, I know that Laura and Rich want to find out who these monsters are and they want to go to the location of where the new species is going to migrate, but rebuilding an old dive bell on your own, using windows from an old boat and replacement hinges and testing it yourself? That sounds really tricky. I mean, maybe that's just me talking. The most I can do with my hands is change a light bulb and attach a printer to a computer, so maybe I can't see any way that they can do this.

Miles gets his punishment for keeping an exotic animal and stealing a car and almost killing an animal control officer: several hours of community service (on a road crew picking up trash on the side of the road), and his parents decide to send him off to camp for troubled kids. His sister Savannah actually sticks up for Miles, explaining that she had a party while they were on vacation in Mexico. She admits she knew about Nimrod the whole time, and she tells them that Miles was different when caring for the little monster. He actually cared and wasn't apathetic.

Have I told you this is the best new show of the season? (Yes, I have.) It continues to progress along, with new twists and turns and adventures and even new characters. Take tonight for instance. They show Lee at home, in front of a roaring fireplace, listening to an old jazz standard (I'm thinking Billie or Ella), and his girlfriend comes in and asks him what he's doing. She's deaf and talks to him in sign language. The whole scene was just so...I don't know, surprising. Many sci-fi TV shows, especially eight episodes in, don't really have anymore surprises left. This little reveal was both subtle and kinda surprising, all at the same time. I don't know, it just struck me as cool.

Laura calls Jesse to see how he is, and he kinda rushes her off the phone because someone is at the door. She hangs up the phone and starts to cry that she's away from him. (Great work by Lake Bell here.) And who's at the door? It's Lee, and he says "hello Jesse." He wants to talk to Laura "about the death of Cirko and his assistant." Her ex-husband lies that he hasn't heard from her (another reason I like this show - the characters often do the non-TV character thing - the writers could have easily had him be a jerk because he's the ex-husband, but not in this case).

And I think I we finally got a clue this week as to how Miles is going to eventually hook up with Laura and Rich. Savannah convinces her parents to change Miles punishment from a boot camp to working after school at an aquarium. So something tells me that Laura and Rich will end up at the aquarium for some reason, or Miles will discover somehow that they are looking for the creatures and get involved in their adventure.

How many shows nowadays end in a cliffhanger like tonight's episode does? Laura and Rich trapped on the bottom of the ocean, sucked into the giant hole! Cool stuff.

(We'll have an interview with Surface star Jay R. Ferguson coming up soon! Stay tuned...)

Morgan at Spot Cost

I have a kind of hard time liking the characters when they risk their lives and their children's future, but other than that (and the 150mph! speed of the creatures) the series is going pretty well. They really turned up the T&A this last episode, I mean I'd imagine bra + panties + petroleum jelly = ratings, but who knows, at least it's a good try.

November 16 2005 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patryk

What was the music Lee played when his girl walked into the room? And does anyone know who was the singer?

November 15 2005 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willy

I loved the episode, too: best yet. Well, except the homemade sub part was pretty far-fetched. Nevertheless, I still got sucked in. I can't wait until next week. A complete review on Divester: (http://www.divester.com/2005/11/15/surface-episode-8-reviewed/). BTW -- can't wait for the interview!

November 15 2005 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael J. Evans

It's interesting to me that a new species of (animal, amphibian or reptile) appears on the scene, along with new species of plant life, having no natural enemies to keep their numbers in check,like frogs laying eggs, unchecked upon the earth/oceans. Having the propensity of liking to dig deep holes into the ocean bottom, deep enough to the core of the earth, thus changing the tempature of the surrounding water and air currents. Could we call this terra-forming? Knowing that they like fish and other mammals, is it not likely that they will invade the land in search of food once they have exhausted the seas? Why the government would want to cover this up is beyond me. Bring these creatures under control is not going to be easy, they have a very unique defense system that will be very hard to overcome, seeing how our defense systems are based on sensive electronics.

November 15 2005 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nipp

If you're able to freeze frame the episode then read the "The Lone Mountain Experience" flyer. Examples: "When yoy have reached your limit, sometimes 'tough love' is the last resort. If you've tried beating, punishments, grounding and chemicals, perhaps it's time for us. Here at 'Lone Mountain Youth Ranch' we kick your childs ass in a myriad of ways, freezing cold punishment hikes, mental and physical torture, marine boot camp was never as tough." or "If retroactive abortion isn't an option try us - we can help" or the Charles Mansion citation as an euphoric customer.

November 15 2005 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I agree with everything you said. Lee is turning out to one of the more interesting characters. Last night's episode is, in my opinion, the best so far. I was actually on the edge of me seat! I hope NBC keeps this show around. It's getting clobbered by Monday Night Football and the CBS comedies, but if NBC holds out I think it could be of their better hit shows.

November 15 2005 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

I love this show too. Unfortunately, I miss an episode here & there - isn't it being repeated on another channel? Please let me know if you know - I missed last Monday's episode. Thanks. - Denise

November 15 2005 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

This series is SO GOOD. I started watching because it seemed like a decent little sci-fi show with slightly more potential than any of the other 15 sci-fi/thrillers that premiered this season, and it's slowly become one of my favorites. I love the way each episode adds a new subtle layer of character development and suspense. The cliffhangers and plot twists hit in such a way that it doesn't come across as gimmicky. A lot of shows that utilize cliffhangers (see Alias) will end an episode with a twist only to resolve it right at the beginning of the next, but here they're honest-to-goodness plot developments. The show is clearly in the middle of a gradual crescendo, and you just know that when it reaches its peak it's going to be epic. I, for one, can't wait.

November 15 2005 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply