October 25, 2014

Danny DeVito returns to series TV in little-seen FX show

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 17th 2005 1:40PM
Danny DeVito to be a regular on FX showDanny DeVito, who hasn't been a regular on a TV series since Taxi ended in 1983, has signed on to appear in all ten second-season episodes of the FX series It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. He'll play a retiree that moves to Philly to be closer to his children.

Now, I've never seen Philadelphia but I've heard it's pretty funny. I wonder what DeVito sees in the show that he was willing to sign up as a regular (since it's a single-camera show, his scenes will be shot within a 15-day span, but still...). I checked the show's credits on IMDB and didn't see him as one of the producers. He doesn't seem to have any family in the cast. The show has little to no buzz, unlike other FX shows like Nip/Tuck and The Shield. Hmm... maybe it's worth watching if DeVito's going to be on. If anyone out there is a fan of Philadelphia, I'd like to know why you like the show; leave your thoughts in the comments. They might actually pursuade me to watch.

vince

I LOVE this show just as much as I love Arrested Development but I dont really want to see Devito in there...I cant stand to look at him everytime I see him I see him as The Penguin

November 17 2005 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AKA

He's probably doing it as a favor to John Landgraff, the President of FX. Prior to being the president of FX, John ran Jersey Television... Danny Devito's no-longer operating TV Production Company.

November 17 2005 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bo Link

It seems you're not the only one who slept on this show this summer. As for me, I kind of fell into watching it. I had heard some of the hype about Starved, so while I was setting up my ReplayTV to record I noticed It's Always Sunny was starting up at the same time. I said what the hell and clicked record on it too. I mean, I didn't upgrade my Replay's hard drive to just sit there and idle. After watching the entire season, I'd have to say this was the best use of MBs this entire summer. I was consistently laughing at the stupid things Charlie, Sweet Dee, Dennis and Mac were trying to get away with. I'm glad this one was renewed. FX just needs to take a chill pill on the cancellations though. I will be miss Staved and Over There next summer.

November 17 2005 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

It's like the gang behind this show have learned from some kind of 'Seinfeld' master class and created a great show. The actions of the main characters are usually for selfish reasons, and like on 'Seinfeld' they never come away from their experiences having learned anything. And all the sub-plots eventually tie together. My favorite episodes have been the pilot where the bar was fleetingly popular but not for reasons they liked, and when Mac was dating a pre-op transexual. As for DeVito joining the show, I think he's great... I just don't see him as the father of the two siblings in the cast (Dee and Glenn?). Now, if he was playing Charlie's father, that would be believable!

November 17 2005 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh Frick

The show feels "real". The conversatations the characters trade with each other sound like things you and your friends might talk about. Of course some story lines are "out there" (but only slightly at times) but they still possible. The chemistry the four leads share is wonderful as well. Please, tell everyone about this show. We need more ratings and good DVD sets!!!

November 17 2005 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Little

Both ASIP and Starved were very impressive in their inaugural seasons. Neither comedy got the recognition that it deserved. I'm not going to say that I'm a huge Devito fan but I am pleased that at least one of the shows will be returning next season. Either serves as good comic foilage for the oft-somber Shield and/or Rescue Me. I'd normally watch one of the dramas and then, on the verge of suicide, queue up one of the comedies and return to the even-keeled plateau of my existence.

November 17 2005 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

This is a serious contender for the Arrested Development crown. Philadelphia is a brilliant, edgy and hysterical show. It's the type of show where you find yourself laughing at the most terrible things. Then you think to yourself: It's so wrong, but it feels sooooo good. My favorite episode, hands down, is The Gang Finds a Dead Guy. Dare I say the words Nazi Hilarity?

November 17 2005 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MasterGator

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is a good show... and I had forgot all about it until reading this post. My wife and I enjoyed both that and Starved on FX over the summer. As Mike says above, it's more "edgy" than the typical crap, and no laugh track is always a good thing. Definitely check it, and Starved, out.

November 17 2005 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I am a fan of Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia. It is my favorite show on FX. The jokes and storylines are just fantastic and more "edgy" than most of the FCC bland comedies out there. The episode where they buy a gun and all the guys get "Gun Fever" as well as the episode where they all go to the Prom are both classics. Its a great show. I openly laugh several times at every episode.

November 17 2005 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply