July 28, 2014

Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey: Shocking but true - it's over!

by Kim Voynar, posted Nov 24th 2005 2:02PM

Nick and JessicaI know this will come as a huge shock to everyone, but after three years (has it really been that long? It seems like just yesterday...) of one of the most public celebrity marriages in recent memory, Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey are heading to Splitsville. Is this really surprising news to anyone? In spite of the couples' attempts to keep a happy face on things, insisting there was no truth to nasty rumors their marriage was on the rocks, and showing us their mushy love on Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica  and last year's touching Nick and Jessica's Family Christmas (oh, how a year changes things), the couple chose Thanksgiving Day to announce the demise of their marriage.

My favorite part of the press release is the part where "this is the mutual decision of two people with an enormous amount of respect and admiration for each other". Right. How come you never see a press release of the demise of a Hollywood marriage that says, "We're splitting up because X was a total SOB, he never puts the lid down on the toilet, he leaves his dirty clothes everywhere, and he slept with a stripper! Gosh!" or something more realistic like that (not that we're implying that Nick Lachey did any of those things, especially the toilet lid bit).

Who do you think will be the next Hollywood couple to call it quits? Britney Spears and Kevin Federline? Demi and Ashton? Madonna and Guy Ritchie? Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes (yeah, I know they're not married, but I keep hanging onto the hope that Katie will snap out of it)?  Who's next?

ErricZ

Who really cares ... yet another Hollywood staged marriage goes sour. The only ones that seem to even make it remotely real are the ones you don't hear about! If a celebrity marriage has a reality show attatched to it or constant trash-rag coverage you know it's a fabricated piece of crap that you can guarantee extended sales by televising the whole useless thing.

November 29 2005 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzanne

I'm surprises. This is one relationship that I really think fell apart due to the media. It's sad. It's always really sad that people think Jessica Simpson is just dumb. She has her blonde moments. She is a very intelligent woman who as I know of was her valedictorian of her graduating from high school. It wouldn't surprise that in the future they would get back together. I hope they do and if they do for the media to butt out of their personal life it's called invasion of privacy and is against the law.

November 26 2005 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

I am so saddened by their divorce! I always thought they were so real and genuine, it makes me loose a lot of hope in celebrity couples, they never seem to last but i though they would.

November 25 2005 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matthew m. barnes

i think it's funny that everyone feels sorry for Nick... when i watched Newlyweds and saw how annoyed he always was with her for being dumb, my thought was... "HELLO!?!?! you knew her for a LONG time before you married her and you still married her! you knew what you were getting yourself into!" i don't feel bad for him. if he can't handle the fact that she's a few fries short of a happy meal, he shouldn't have married her!

November 25 2005 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Anderson

High maintenance dumb blonde with low maintenance normal guy...sounds like my first marriage...but my ex did not look like that. Anyway, I say "who cares." Anyone want to bet on how long it takes for "preacher's daughter" Jessica to pose in Playboy? On that note, I saw a creepy thing the other day with her "preacher father" manager talking about her boobs. Ick! Very uncomfortable to watch. puff

November 25 2005 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

So I think its sad but funny I mean hello I didnt exspect them to stay together he sings better then she does but cant sell an album. .. .She Is turning into A WILD p;erson now. .. .Its the ones that you think will last that dont. . .Lets see Britney an Kevin they'l last Demi AN Ashton they'l last people that seem totaly different for eachother usually last.. .. .

November 25 2005 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

To answer you question, Kim: Britney & Kevin. Did you see the photos when he couldn't get money out of the ATM? That guy is such a loser. And he looks like he stinks. I can't wait for that crappy album of his to come out. As for Jessica and Nick, neither of them was ever in charge of that wedding. Her dad (ewww!) pulls all the strings in those girls' lives.

November 25 2005 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim Voynar

Reina, Well, you can't really blame the tabloids, can you? Nick and Jessica sunk their own boat from day one, IMO, by making a reality show of their first year of marriage. Marriage, in the real world, isn't an easy task, and they trivialized the realities of married life by trying to capitalize on it with the show. How much could they really get to know each other in the context of daily life, have real disagreements and make-ups, with cameras and crew there? Really, really bad idea if you're going into your marriage planning to sustain it for the long haul.

November 25 2005 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

We all knew it was comming. As sad as I am for Nick, he will be fine. Hopefully he will come back here to his home. Cincinnati. Jessica just doesnt know what she lost. I honestly feel that Jess is to blame. Not that i am saying Nick was an angel, but he truely loved her. You could see it everytime he looked at her. And if he didnt love her, he wouldnt have waited till they were married to get laid! Im sure this is just as hard on the families so my thoughts go out to them as well. But Nick had wanted to run for mayor here in Cincinnati, but instead his friend did due to Nicks absence from the city. Jessica hated Cincinnati, she claimed it had "no good stores to shop at" Apparently Nick wanted to come back home to his roots, but she refused on the fact of the "lack" of shopping places.-- So Nick, come on home there is lots of people waiting here for ya... You belong here!

November 24 2005 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reina

Anytime a marriage dissolves it's always a sad thing. I think this couple had to deal with the scrutiny of the public during the most fragile years of their marriage. If they weren't in the public eye, I think their marriage would have been more successful. The first few years of marriage are the most challenging, Nick and Jessica had to endure these tumultuous years with the tabloids recording their every move. That's too much.

November 24 2005 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply