July 26, 2014

Surface: Episode 10

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 28th 2005 9:09PM

SurfaceIs it just the fact that I love this show so much that I so thoroughly believe that Rich and Laura are really in the middle of the ocean, trapped in a life raft that has sprung a leak, being tossed around by rain, waves, and wind? These scenes were probably filmed in a large water tank down in North Carolina, but it doesn't matter. The special effects look great to me, and that's all I care about.

Miles' parents probably shouldn't have left on some trip, just a short time after both of their kids got in trouble with the lying, the police, a pet monster, etc, etc. But you know the parents are out of the picture for a reason. Miles is limping around like Dennis Weaver on Gunsmoke. Hmmm...I wonder if he'll turn into some human/lizard creature? His leg starts to bleed a lot and he passes out in class. The wounds looks horrible, and the school nurse calls an ambulance when he passes out. Miles is rushed to the hospital. His temperature is over 108, so they dump him into an ice bath, where Miles screams for Nim's help. Freaky.

Meanwhile, Laura and Rich have the opposite problem: they're freezing. Rich has the idea they should huddle together (I think he even said "we can spoon" or something similar). That Rich is a smooth one. In the distance they see lightening hitting the water and the monsters. It could be romantic, if it weren't for the possible impending death and all.

At the hospital, Savannah agrees to show the creature to the doctor so they can figure out what's wrong with him (he has that high fever but everything else seems normal except his electrolytes). Finally...I thought it was going to be one of those ridiculous situations where the sister would keep Miles' secret for him, even though he had a temp of 900 degrees.

BAM! Something hits Rich and Laura's raft, throwing them into the water. A monster has just surfaced not far from them...

Savannah goes home to get Nim. She calls him Nimmy at one point. If I was Nim I wouldn't like that and I'd probably devour her limbs. She chases Nim around the house, and bumps into Phil. The phone rings and it's Paul, Miles' boss from the aquarium. Savannah tells him Miles is sick from the thing that bit him.

Rich and Laura find themselves in the prescence of hundreds of monster eggs.

Phil and Savannah capture Nim and Savannah brings it to the hospital, where Paul takes a look at it. Someone Nim gets loose and gets to Miles' room, where he starts licking the wound (ewwwww). Miles starts to flatline.

Rich and Laura squeeze a bunch of monster eggs and they glow. A rescue boat sees the light and comes in to rescue them...then the monster jumps out of the water and almost eats the damn thing. The helicopter decides to fly off.

Meanwhile, Miles is still flatlining. They can't revive him. Just then, a guard shoots Nim in the hallway. Miles wakes up suddenly and goes into the hallway. Nim is dead. Miles cradles his bloddy body in his arms. Later, Savannah notices that Miles' wound is completely healed. Nim healed him.

The helicopter picks up Rich and Laura. They have proof of the monsters, as Paul decides to cut open Nim's body...

This was a great episode. The tension and the suspense were real and palpable throughout. Very well done. Since Threshold is gone, and Invasion seems to be losing ground over at ABC even with the Lost lead-in, I truly hope that somehow, someway, Surface is the one that survives. NBC really needs to embrace this show, give it another season, help it out a bit. If it's canceled, I'm going to be rather ticked off.

(The show is going on hiatus til January.)

Lisa

My husband and I both look forward to our evening of Surface. We have been going crazy trying to figure out why it didn't show last Monday. Now, in finding this site, we know it won't show for a while. We are really enjoying it. One great thing about our minds is that we are adult enough to understand that it's not 100% realistic, but we get the jist. You want documentary - check out National Geographic. We were shocked that Nim was shot! We, like others, hope he will revive! I am enjoying all the different story lines and they all keep moving! It's about time something new with energy shows up on the line up for TV/family viewing!

December 16 2005 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dez W.

Surface is a great show! It's great bonding for me and my 12 year old. We talk about what we think will happen next during commercials and what the characters should have done morally right. I was upset when Medium was on Oct 31 for 2-3 episodes back to back. I don't watch Medium or any other show, only Surface. When I have to be away from my home I ask my family to record it. I couldn't believe it when my family told me one night that it didn't air. It put me in a bad mood. What I like about the show is the relationship between the boy and his pet. Miles parents who have teen-age dilemas to deal with. I like the fact that Rich and Laura have not become romantically involved because Rich is still married and then my 12 yr old and I would probably have to stop watching the show,my husband and I have been married for 21 years and infedelity is not a trait I want my child to focus on otherwise we'd watch shows like Desperate Housewives which we don't. We like the dragons (that's what we think Nim is). In Reign of Fire and in Lord of the Rings the dragons all have an ear piercing screech. Well over all this show is mother approved for age 9yrs and up. To the producers, actors and actress' keep up the great work! And PLEASE don't cancel the show.

December 14 2005 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

Epthegeek has some serious issues that go beyond TV. IT IS A TV SHOW! Ok, This show rocks! The thing I like about it the most is that the characters are all realistic. It is nice to see a show that does not cast bad actors just because they are good looking (Invasion). Need I say more? The story line is fantastick and is moving at a great pace. Just wish we did not have to wait so long to see a new episode.

December 01 2005 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Amulet

How about that cute doctor -- the one who told Savannah about her brother's fever? I hope she comes back ... -- david

November 29 2005 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyn

Every time I read "Rich and Laura," I think of the Dick VanDyke show. Yeah, I'm old. Does anyone think Nim may resurrect? The scene in the aquarium lab at the end of the show seemed to suggest that.

November 29 2005 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willy

Best episode so far. I agree with you that the tension in last night's episode was palpable. And I like how several plotlines were closed last night, but their closing simply opens up more questions. A full review on Divester (http://www.divester.com/2005/11/29/surface-episode-10-reviewed/).

November 29 2005 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
epthegeek

I've given up on this show. It's hilarious, but it's not a comedy, so that's a problem. Last week, when they were in their soup can at the bottom of the ocean, if they had a constant leak, the pressure as far down as they were should have crushed that thing. Neverminding the lack of implosion, there's no way that life raft would have inflated enough to lift them away from the bottom at that depth/pressure. Even if it somehow magically had as much air as it would take at that crushing depth to fill the raft, the raft then would have exploded due to expansion as it rose. It's all so hysterical. And this week. Ooooh, the tension. The 2 main characters were in trouble! OMG! Edge of your seat! Or not, because there's no way they'd kill both of them this early on and leave the only static character on the show as that snivelling teen and his pet seamonster. Bleh. I give up.

November 29 2005 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crease

Anybody know when next season starts or if there will even be a second season?

November 29 2005 at 3:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mario

I am ScriptGod, Miles is forced to eat Nimrod, gains special powers and becomes the Savior of the Human Race. Okay, maybe not. But this show is frakkin' awesome. About the Writing: It's not that it's bad writing, it's just that none of the main characters have that sort of magnetism--there's no Willow, no Eliza Dushku, no Pompeo, no Boomer, no Cosmo Kramer--the quirky, born-to-play-their-role actor. The Plot and the Dialogue are fine. Especially the plot. What the show needs is some better delivery on the lines. When the line calls for Face #10, don't give face #3 that sort of thing. The Crazy Cajun is pretty good.

November 29 2005 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I watch this show eagerly each week but I don't know why I do. I think the writing is terrible and most of the characters are so stereotypical and annoying. Miles and that friend. Man, so bothersome! I liked it tonight when Laura was prattling on and on about her grandmother and the monster suddenly hit the raft, knocking them in the water. I thought, "The Beast can't stand to hear her endless chatter, either. Eat her!" But it does have the ability to keep me coming back. I keep waiting for scenes like the one tonight where the monster almost ate the helicopter. That's what we want!

November 28 2005 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply