October 31, 2014

Nobel Prize winner, Oprah Winfrey

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 29th 2005 11:37PM
oprah winfreyShould Oprah Winfrey join the ranks of Jimmy Carter, Kofi Annan, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, Henry Kissinger, and Martin Luther King, Jr.? At least 6,000 people think so. There's a movement underfoot to nominate the talk show queen for the Nobel Peace Prize. Supporters plan to deliver 100,000 signatures to either Mandela or Carter, in hopes that one of them will nominate Oprah for the prize. So far they have 6,000 signatures. Their website says Oprah deserves the prize because her show "has raised consciousness of the universe about the critical issues of homelessness, poverty, race, crime, AIDS, women's inequality and others." Yeah, but so has NPR.

There's no denying that Oprah has done a lot of good for a lot of people, but her show is not totally devoted to peace. I mean, Tom Cruise jumping on a couch isn't exactly enlightening. And, her devotion to Dr. Phil and Rachel Ray is just plain wrong. I could see a war erupting between the Dr. Phil/Rachel Ray lovers and the haters. And, who will we blame? Oprah.

The people behind this movement (apparently, they are serious) argue that giving the award to Oprah will get more attention for the Nobel prizes. Do the Nobel prizes need mass appeal? Is their image suffering? Personally, I'd like to see the peace prizes continue to be awarded to people like Jody Williams, who is trying to rid the world of landmines, and Mohammad ElBaradei, who won last year for attempting to rid the world of nuclear weapons. These prize winners did more than donate money or raise awareness, they started worldwide movements that resulted in change. Of course, I didn't know that until I looked them up.

[Via TVTattle]

Mark Kahle

"You know, as long as people can be judged by the color of their skin, problem’s not solved. As long as there are people who still, there’s a whole generation –I said this for my own, you know, community in the south – there are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it, in that prejudice and racism, and they just have to die.” - Oprah Winfrey

Yes, a true humanitarian.....and an absolute racist.

March 31 2014 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lamar Cole

Oprah Winfrey is one of the best examples of being born into humble circumstances and pulling oneself up by the bootstraps and going on to become one of the most confident, powerful, and successful persons in the world.

December 27 2005 at 7:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ernest Alba

You're right. I don't believe it.

December 16 2005 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ernest Alba

You're right. I don't believe it.

December 16 2005 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simo Ben Bachir

Dear Ernest Alba, you wouldn't believe how much Oprah is popular in Africa and the Middle East, check this with luv Simo Ben Bachir simo@simobb.com THE women of Saudi Arabia have a new heroine in their struggle for emancipation Oprah Winfrey, the American chat show host. In a country where satellite television is banned yet nine out of 10 households have a dish MBC, a Middle Eastern channel, has discovered that ratings for the Oprah show are the highest of any English-language programme it broadcasts in the kingdom. To cater for the demand, MBC is showing Oprah twice a day, five days a week, as it goes after its target audience of 18 to 25-year-olds. Women under 25 make up a third of Saudi Arabias 26m population. The popularity of Oprah reflects an increasing identification with western values and culture that is slowly becoming evident in other areas of womens lives. Gone are the days when women would only be seen outside in their black abayas. The younger generation are now to be found buying clothes at franchises such as Saks Fifth Avenue and sipping cappuccinos at Starbucks. They discuss Oprah, Erica Jong, Harry Potter and even Sex and the City, available uncensored on the satellite channel HBO.

December 09 2005 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ernest Alba

Yes, and on behalf of the rest of humanity (because they gave me the authority to speak on their behalf), I would like to laugh at the idea that most Africans even KNOW Oprah Winfrey, much less support her bid for the Nobel Prize.

December 05 2005 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simo Ben Bachir

On behalf of all African people, I would like to support Oprah Winfrey, she deservers more than Nobel Prize anyway...As a reporter, I'm gonna absolutely talk around me and invite everybody to sign the letter.Good Luck Oprah we love you!!! Simo Ben Bachir

December 05 2005 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simo Ben Bachir

December 05 2005 at 8:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ernest Alba

Obviously, Jason Simmons is kidding. I mean, my god, Oprah is no Mother Teresa or MLK, Jr. There's no way in hell she would win the Nobel Prize. A better choice would be Angelina Jolie, who isn't a hypocrite. Oprah Winfrey is about herself more than she is about others. The Nobel Prize is a goal for her, not an award.

December 04 2005 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Simmons

I firmly believe that it is excellent news that Oprah has won the Nobel Peace Prize because she is a great person, who is kind, unselfish and addresses every-day issues that are important to people. All I can say, in the truest sense on Oprah's award is, "You go girl!" If more people were caring, honest, and concerned about real issues that affect most Americans, then the world would truly be a better place!

December 02 2005 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply