July 23, 2014

Forbes lists the richest fictional characters

by Anna Johns, posted Dec 2nd 2005 7:23PM
Scrooge McDuckWho is the wealthiest fictional character? It's a goofy question that Forbes magazine posed and then actually made a list about. The list of The Fictional 15 includes movie and television characters... and Santa Claus. The characters they considered had to be known for their wealth, and not mythological. Obviously, they broke their own rules by including Santa, but it's a fake list, so who cares? I'm not quite sure how they determined how much each character was worth. The magazine did a similar list three years ago where Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks was worth $10 billion, and now he's risen up the list and is worth $23.7 billion because his business is defense contracts. There are bios for each character, including a line in Jed Clampett's bio that cracked me up: "major player on bass-fishing circuit". It's a fun read, especially because they list Santa Claus as being worth "infinity". The full list is after the jump.

The Fictional 15:
 1. Santa Claus
 2. Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks
 3. Richie Rich
 4. Lex Luthor
 5. C. Montgomery Burns
 6. Scrooge McDuck (my personal favorite)
 7. Jed Clampett
 8. Bruce Wayne
 9. Thurston Howell III
10. Willie Wonka
11. Arthur Bach
12. Ebenezer Scrooge
13. Lara Croft
14. Cruella de Vil
15. Lucius Malfoy

Did they forget anyone?

[Thanks, TV Squad reader, Mike S.!]

Amanda

I thought James Bond would have made it. But one newer one I know worth $40 billion was Mr. Deeds or the buttler from Mr. Deeds I do not remember his name.

December 05 2005 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Mark Evanier (who has worked in public relations for both) says that Scrooge McDuck could buy and sell Richie Rich.

December 03 2005 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

I guess Hurley's 156 million is a paltry sum in this league.

December 03 2005 at 2:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen

I thought Scrooge McDuck always bragged that he was worth 4 quadrillion dollars? I'm guessing a quadrillion is one step above a trillion, so I think he should be number 2 on the list.

December 02 2005 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Canton

Lex Luthor is a Superman villain (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me--I don't read mainstream DC stuff), so there's another comic book character at Number 4. But now you've got me wondering whether Ben Grimm (The Thing of Fantastic Four fame) would make the list? He's very nouveau riche at the moment, in current Marvel continuity. (Gawd, I'm such a geek.) Ah well. There are SO many fictional characters out there, we can't really expect Forbes to analyze all of them.

December 02 2005 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

Alan, Bruce Wayne is Number 8. And, the Daddy Warbucks they refer to is from the Annie comic strip.

December 02 2005 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

I'm a little disapointed that they didn't get into comic books. What about Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, Dr. Doom and Kingpin. They're all major players especially Bruce Wayne, he's big into defense contracts.

December 02 2005 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply