October 23, 2014

My TV Crush: Campbell Brown

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 8th 2005 7:58PM
Campbell Brown - cap courtesy of ReporterCaps.comLast week, Anna asked the readers for opinions on who should replace Katie Couric on Today if she should accept the offer to jump to CBS. Many people fell into either the Soledad O'Brien or Ann Curry camps. But not as many people got behind Weekend Today anchor Campbell Brown, which I found to be a bit curious. As far as I'm concerned, there is no one more qualified for the job than Campbell, and a transition from Katie to her would be even smoother than the transition from Tom Brokaw to Brian Williams.

Campbell has a rare combination of talents that hasn't been seen in many morning-show hosts: she can very easily switch from the easy, homey, friendly style needed for fluffy morning-show segments to the dead-serious gravitas (if I may borrow Kiefer Sutherland's favorite word) needed to anchor breaking news stories. Anyone who's watched Weekend Today since she replaced O'Brien can see that Campbell exudes a warmth that many morning-show anchors, male or female, strain to project. She looks engaged with and interested in anyone she interviews, whether they're a newsmaker or the guy who is showing the latest pet gadgets, and her interplay with co-host Lester Holt really makes it seem like she really likes working with the guy and considers him a friend. Whether that's true or not, she sure seems to be selling it well.

But, also take a look at the "serious" Campbell. When she substitutes for Williams on NBC Nightly News, she sheds her sunny persona and becomes that "Voice of God" that Elizabeth Vargas hopes to become on ABC. She comes off as authoritative and knowledgable, showing off the valuable experience she got as NBC's White House correspondent. Heck, she even wears a business suit, a far cry from the sweaters and flowy skirts she wears on Today. No matter what anybody thinks, neither Katie Couric nor Matt Lauer can convey the sense of imporance to a story that Campbell can, and that skill will serve her well if another disaster breaks out while she's hosting in the morning.

Oh, and did I mention that she's an ace reporter, too? Look at her work during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina; Campbell was able to get in and get compelling stories without getting maudlin or weepy, something that Anderson Cooper can't claim. But she didn't come off as cold or detatched; just ask the nine-year-old boy she befriended at the convention center (and the same boys she's returned to profile at least 3 times since he evacuated) if Campbell is caring and sympathetic when she visits him.

Finally, she's as cute as a button. Even the little Cindy Brady-esque lisp she has is cute. Until she got engaged recently, the Campbell on Today was the "single girl in her thirties about town" that was relatable to both men and women. She never conveyed that her life was overly glamorous (are you listening, Katie? Diane?); she liked to stay home and bake cookies between trips to Iraq. Men want to catch a beer with her and women want to talk on the couch with her. Not many people can claim that image. Campbell can, which is why I'm hoping Katie takes the money and leaves Today. Campbell deserves her time in the spotlight, and she's in the position to become a big, BIG star.

[thanks to ReporterCaps.com for the screen capture of Ms. Brown]

Karen Hallows

I believe that Campbell Brown will be the next "Tom Brokow". She's great. More power to her! I think she is fabulous -- smart, beautiful and quick on her feet.
Karen

December 29 2005 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginalee

Natalie Morales would be a great choice. She's gorgeous with lots of hard news experience; yet can handle the "fluffy" stuff as well. This in case they don't choose Campbell. Campbell is far and away the best choice to replace sugary Katie; whom i hope heads to cbs. I think after it's said and done; Katie is going nowhere as she realizes that she's not competent enough to utter nothing other than "you're watching "Today" on NBC

December 29 2005 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ilene

Campbell is as versatile as they come, handling hard news and fluff with great dexterity, and she runs circles around everyone with her interview skills. I've been a great fan of Katie for years, but lately...and the same with Ann. Personally, I'd like to hear the interview subjects answer to a question, rather than listen to Katie and Ann ask and answer in the same breath!

In my opinion, the perfect future Today Show anchor team would be Campbell and David Gregory. What a surprise he turned out to be!

December 28 2005 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeremy c

I think Campbell Brown would definitely be the best choice to Co-Host NBC "Today" should Katie Couric leaves her post. I doubt seriously that she will leave, Katie is about as peacock oriented as they come besides maybe former NBC Anchor Tom Brokaw. However, if CBS makes her the head anchor of the news division it is something that she probably will not be able to turn down. If this occurs Campbell is definitely the best choice, she is great at interviews, as well as the fun stuff on the show. Although, I like Ann Curry very much so, I do not believe she would be the right fit as Co-Host.

December 13 2005 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ErricZ

Zain is decent looking, I don't know about "smoking hot" though ... that distinction would have to go to Page Hopkins I think. :) http://www.kapturedforyou.com/Nov05/112605/ph112605t.jpg

December 13 2005 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ThMick

I've had a case for Campbell for years, ever since I found out she has the Velvet Underground tattoo.

December 11 2005 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

If I were an executive at NBC I would want to choose someone with serious name reconition! The today show is number one and to maintain that lead Katie's replacement has to be well know and have appeal.

December 09 2005 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Campbell? NO way. She is an annoying weasel... not as annoying as Katie, but annoying. I generally watch CNN's American Morning, so I'd prefer that Soledad not leave, but if so they have had Zain Verjee... fill in for her in the past, and Zain is smoking hot, and her accent only adds to her hotness.

December 09 2005 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harvey Perkins

Maybe the only good choice is FNC's Karin Chetry.

December 09 2005 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply