November 22, 2014

The Five: Reasons to kill Nick Stokes

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Dec 12th 2005 9:31PM

George Eads/Nick StokesEarlier today I was perusing some of the recent Festivus posts written by my fellow TV Squadders (saying that makes me giggle) and I came across Anna's Festivus Wishes. After reading through it, she had some really great wishes: renew My Name is Earl, give Kate and Sawyer a chance to get naked, have some faith in Scrubs, and kill off someone on CSI: like Nick Stokes. Wait a second, kill off Nick Stokes? Christ on a bike, was I amazed. How could you want to kill off Nicky?

I couldn't even comprehend the show without him. Then... well, I thought about it all evening. And now I'm convinced that Anna has some strange kind of TV insight because I agree 100%. That's right, killing off Nick Stokes would be the best thing to happen to CSI: right now. Crazy you may say? Perhaps it is a bit drastic, but methinks the program could use a little pot stirring and here's why:

1. Did we all forget about last year's season finale? We practically watched him die once already. A second time wouldn't be half as bad and it'd probably be a lot quicker too; none of this time consuming buried-alive junk. My point being that I was already prepared to see Nick die halfway through the finale last year. I was already imagining a CSI: world without him. And you can't blame me. Tarantino directed it, anything could have happened.
  2. You have to admit, the show has gotten a bit static. If I was a completely new viewer, had never seen an episode before, and you then had me watch an episode from season one and another from season five, what would I say? "Well, the guy in charge grew a beard..?" At a glance, not much differentiates the seasons besides the opening credits and Grissom's beard. Solution? Kill people.
  3. Greg needs a bigger role. Everybody loves Greg and once the producers figured that out, he's been upgraded every season. More screen time, more responsibility. He also provides a majority of the comic relief. With Nick out of the way, Greg gets the attention his character really deserves.
  4. CSI team members get killed or fired in Miami and NY, so why not Vegas? Speedle got shot in the season premiere of CSI: Miami last year, and Aiden got fired in the second episode of CSI: NY this year. And you know what? Last year's Miami was the best season so far, and NY is shaping up to be great this year. All because they shook things up a bit. CSI: is in it's sixth season now, something needs to change.
  5. Who wants a moustache ride? Nick grew that facial explosion for two whole episodes and thank god he got rid of it last week. But the threat remains. He could grow it back and I don't know if I can just sit around and let that happen.

So who's with me? Plenty of seats on the bandwagon... the bandwagon at the end of Nick Stokes' funeral procession. Sorry man, love the show, but it's time for a change.

Scottysquirrel

I do not think Nick should be killed. I have been faithfully watching CSI since season 1. He has been in the show for 5 and a half years now. If they were honostly going to kill him the best time would have been when he was buried alive. I saw keep him alive

January 11 2006 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steph

TO CLEAR UP NICK'S STACHE, HE WAS DOING A MOVIE AT THE TIME AND I GUESS THEY MADE JOKES ABOUT IT AS THEIR WAY OF WRITING IT IN. NOW THE MOVIE IS DONE SO THEY NEED NOT WORRY ABOUT IT COMING BACK!!
As for stirring it up a bit, i think a csi should commit murder. Not kill off another one though cause that would be far too little CSI's left. But maybe Sofia could kill someone or at least get killed.
I think they should have Greggo on a little more, hes funny. When the show is boring, hes there to spice it up a bit. Another idea for Nick though, is if he were to swap over to the police. That way he would be on the show still, but a little less, and as a cop. AND, he would get to live! If any of the main charcters liek Sara, Warrick, Grissom, Greg, Nicky, Cath, or Brass where to go kaput, the show wouldn;t just be the same. I don;t think i could bring myself to NOt watch, i just wouldn't be as enthusiastic about it. As for the anti-speedle. I don't watch Miami a lot, but if you ask me, Rory was awesome at it! He and Emily procter are my favorite actors on that show and this new guy (wolfe i think?!) just doesn't do it as good as Speedle.

January 04 2006 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samsara

Killing off Nick is not a good idea simply because any show that has featured him at the centre of the storyline has garnered high ratings such as Gum Drops and Grave Danger both hitting the 30 million mark over just going over it slightly.
Moreover, I don't think it will give more air time to Greg since the writers seem more intent on bringing in newer characters rather then giving their originals more screentime i.e. Sophia.
CSI is not the best example of equating screentime between it's characters the way a show like ER did, so the writers could give some of their minor characters more screentime to shake things up a bit such was proven with Grave Danger without killing off any of the characters. The finale also gave George Eads a chance to flex his acting muscles.
The mustache a reason, kind of a mute point. I think the big fuss made over it just proves how shallow we all can be at times when it comes to looks.

December 22 2005 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ceci

gaptooth, i mean, sarah is a lot more boring than nick. Nick won my heart in the season finale. But not like Greg has! Hottie, please and thank you.

December 16 2005 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nora Gaddis

They better not killed off Nick Stokes. He is the reason I start watching last season final. George got too many fans. If they killed off Nick, I will quit watching. Why not killed off Ecklie or Sofia, I'm not intersted in them.

December 15 2005 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simon Tige

Writing out a character would be a good idea, if for no other reason than the fact that they've added several since the show started without losing any--there are simply too many people now to serve all of them. They all have fans, and I imagine many viewers like all of them (I know I do). Losing one or more characters would inevitably rejuvenate the show; it is consistently excellent in its storytelling, but there is a certain "rut-ness" to it. That said, I don't think its necessary to kill off one of the characters. It might require nothing more than a good job offer from out of state. I think I like the idea of writing out Gil myself. The permutations of taking out the top guy would be much more earthshaking than the removal of "one of the guys."

December 15 2005 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

Even though I love CSI as a whole, Nick is the main reason I watch. He is the only character that has an ounce of humanity and empathy for the victims. He is the only one that can make me teary eyed just from his actions and expressions. He is the only one that has gotten better as the seasons have gone on. There has always been a big cast and balancing out the screentime for all is a challenge but one that has been dealt with in the past. I think the lack of screentime for Greg has more to do with his character itself as he does not fit in with CSI anymore since coming out of the lab. There always needs to be a "heart" in the center of the team and Nick Stokes is that center. Without him the show has no heart (and without him, I say less viewers as I for one would stop watching). And I do not agree with the idea that the show needs shaking up. It's still number 1 pulling in close to 30 million viewers a week.

December 15 2005 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Silvia

Can I put one big No Way here? Sure, killing him off will stir things up, sure. But it's also a very easy way out. The team (including Greg. I agree with you on that point, he definately needs a bigger role.) works well together. Take one out, and it's like pulling out an important part of a well oiled machine. I think killing of Nick would be a good reason for a lot of people to stop watching. Cause Nick has a lot of fans. (Yes, including me, altough he's my second favorite, with Greg just a little above him. :'3 *pets Greg*) Your argument about people getting fired and killed in CSI:M and CSI:NY is not very fallid, seeing as both Rory and the actres playing Aiden (don't know her name O.o) wanted out. Nobody on CSI:LV wants an out. (thank god!) Also? CSI:Miami? Took a nose-dive after Speed died. In my opinion at least. It's like watching a soap-opera these days, and I hate soap-opera's. So... to cut things short? Sure, they might need a bit of a change on CSI:LV, but killing one of the main charaters off is clice and an easy way out. Be original and find another way. (And no, I don't mean 'add more characters'. I've had enough of that. >:( )

December 15 2005 at 7:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Al

WHY? Does it matter to this person that CSI: kills off Nick Stokes, Anna Festivus if you don't like the characters then why do you bother watching the show? All the characters on CSI: work very well together and taking away any of them would be a big loss, I could not imagine the Xfiles without Mulder or Scully, same goes for CSI:, CSI Miami and CSI NY, I stopped watching when Spped was killed and did not like it one bit when one of the characters on CSI NY got fired. Nick is good for the show and Greg does have a big part in it so do all the rest of them, we should not put one actor or another down just because we do not like them, we should like the show for the show alone and not because of one and only actor, I do not watch CSI: because I like one or the other I like all of them and they all are great together. Anna you need to find something else to worry about aside from George Eads, hey look at this way, he is famous and on the show you are not.... you are just complainign about it... PLEASE.

December 14 2005 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply