The Five: Reasons to kill Nick Stokes
Earlier today I was perusing some of the recent Festivus posts written by my fellow TV Squadders (saying that makes me giggle) and I came across Anna's Festivus Wishes. After reading through it, she had some really great wishes: renew My Name is Earl, give Kate and Sawyer a chance to get naked, have some faith in Scrubs, and kill off someone on CSI: like Nick Stokes. Wait a second, kill off Nick Stokes? Christ on a bike, was I amazed. How could you want to kill off Nicky?
I couldn't even comprehend the show without him. Then... well, I thought about it all evening. And now I'm convinced that Anna has some strange kind of TV insight because I agree 100%. That's right, killing off Nick Stokes would be the best thing to happen to CSI: right now. Crazy you may say? Perhaps it is a bit drastic, but methinks the program could use a little pot stirring and here's why:
- Did we all forget about last year's season finale? We practically watched him die once already. A second time wouldn't be half as bad and it'd probably be a lot quicker too; none of this time consuming buried-alive junk. My point being that I was already prepared to see Nick die halfway through the finale last year. I was already imagining a CSI: world without him. And you can't blame me. Tarantino directed it, anything could have happened.
- You have to admit, the show has gotten a bit static. If I was a completely new viewer, had never seen an episode before, and you then had me watch an episode from season one and another from season five, what would I say? "Well, the guy in charge grew a beard..?" At a glance, not much differentiates the seasons besides the opening credits and Grissom's beard. Solution? Kill people.
- Greg needs a bigger role. Everybody loves Greg and once the producers figured that out, he's been upgraded every season. More screen time, more responsibility. He also provides a majority of the comic relief. With Nick out of the way, Greg gets the attention his character really deserves.
- CSI team members get killed or fired in Miami and NY, so why not Vegas? Speedle got shot in the season premiere of CSI: Miami last year, and Aiden got fired in the second episode of CSI: NY this year. And you know what? Last year's Miami was the best season so far, and NY is shaping up to be great this year. All because they shook things up a bit. CSI: is in it's sixth season now, something needs to change.
- Who wants a moustache ride? Nick grew that facial explosion for two whole episodes and thank god he got rid of it last week. But the threat remains. He could grow it back and I don't know if I can just sit around and let that happen.
So who's with me? Plenty of seats on the bandwagon... the bandwagon at the end of Nick Stokes' funeral procession. Sorry man, love the show, but it's time for a change.