September 2, 2014

My TV Crush: Bonnie Hunt

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 22nd 2005 8:07PM
Bonnie Hunt - Wireimage photoLet me ask our male readers a question: have you ever had a woman in your group of friends who was super cool, one that drank with you and made jokes and was a complete riot? You always thought she was attractive, but her personality and humor were what you saw first. Now, did one day that woman come to lunch or work wearing a skirt, or with different hair or makeup, and you were just blown away by how hot she was? Well, that's how I think of Bonnie Hunt.

Bonnie's a funny gal. Really funny. She's quick on her feet, and is particularly adept at improvisation, telling funny stories about her life and the people she knows inside and outside show business. Those improvisational skills made the show-within-a-show scenes on her ABC sitcom Life With Bonnie extremely funny, since they were largely unscripted. Those scenes also showed that she could hold her own with comedy's finest, since many of the guests on her fictional morning show were played by improv legends like Jonathan Winters.

Her improv prowess also makes her a natural talk show subject; every time I see her interviewed, I always wish she had a show of her own.

Bonnie is especially good with David Letterman. Most people know that they're good friends, but I have to wonder if they didn't have a "thing" going at some point in the past, since the usually grouchy Dave completely lights up when she's on the show (Terri Garr is the only other person I can think of that got that reaction from Dave). Their chemistry is palpable, and she's one of the few people who can really stick it to Dave and just get a laugh in return.

That chemistry was on display during her Late Show appearance on Tuesday, as she was telling really funny stories about her days as a nurse. Letterman, fascinated by her story about catheters, kept hammering on the subject while Bonnie would mockingly object. Then Bonnie kept getting exasperated at how hard she was working, spitting out line after line that made the audience laugh, while Dave seemingly would just move on to the movie she was promoting (the forgettable Cheaper By The Dozen 2) or some other topic. Usually, this kind of behavior from Dave would just indicate that he was bored. But I really think he was doing it to try to rile Bonnie, as one friend might do to another, in that "I only kid because I love" kind of way.

So, we know that she's pretty funny, can tell a good story, and -- because she's a Chicago girl -- has no problem knocking back a beer or two with you and your friends. But what strikes me about Bonnie is a) how truly beautiful she is and b) how totally unimpressed she is by her looks. Don't get me wrong, she always looks adorable, whether she's wearing a gown on the red carpet or she's working in librarian mode. But I've never sensed that she's trying hard to look great. She's more concerned with being funny than being hot, but her smile and bubbly personality make her hot anyway. She'd make a helluva fun date.

Now all I need to do is find someone just like her and about ten years younger... anyone know of someone like this? Anyone? Bueller?

Bud

Bonnie is the most unpretencious woman in Hollywood. She is what 99% of the other women in Hollywood should be. Her eyes, smile, and sensuality, tied together, make her the sexy lady she is. When she can wear jeans and tell jokes or walk into a room in a black dress......wow, she's the ultimate woman.

April 29 2008 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
samantha

BONNIE HUTN WELL WAT CAN I SAY.
FANTASTIC HILARIOUS SHE REALLY IS COOL.
I RECENTLEY SAW HER IN CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN WOW SHE MADE IT GREAT.
THE SPECAIL FEATURES WERE ORSOME SEEING HER AS HERSELF.
WOW I WISH I COULD MEET HER.
I ESPECAILLY LOVED HER IN GREEN MILE WOW LIKE WHOLE OTHER PERSON SHE REALLY PLAYED HER SELF WELL
THANX SAMANTHA B

June 05 2006 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
samantha

i love bonnie hunt! she is the best actress in the world i love watching her in her movies.
i loved her in cheaper by the dozen and she was even better in cheaper by the dozen 2.
i will always follow her career and buy her films.
i love seeing what new films shes in.
she is so funny with a sharp sense of humour.
it would be a dream come true to meet her.
thanx sam

June 04 2006 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caroline Aquino

I am in the "I LOVE BONNIE HUNT" camp! I've seen almost every episode of all five of her TV shows - ("The Building" only lasted 5 episodes, but was wonderful!) and numerous interviews. I think I fell in love with her when she was on "Celebrity Poker Showdown" early this year. She's always genuine and funny, but it really comes out when she's on Letterman. I don't know how many times she filled in for Dave, but the one time I watched she was amazing.

If you've seen her body of work, you'll know that she's not just a very funny lady, but a versatile one. She has some lovely dramatic moments in some of her comedic films. "Return To Me" - which she directed, co-wrote and co-starred in - is one of my favorite movies. I highly recommend that you check out the independent movie "Loggerheads" to see her most dramatic role to date.

I can't say enough wonderful things about Bonnie Hunt!

December 27 2005 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue

Did anyone catch her co-hosting duties on Regis? Bonnie mentioned that she is doing a sitcom for ABC and she will be playing a detective and the show will have no laugh track. Bonnie mentioned she'll call it Cancelled. Boy I love Bonnie she's the best.

December 23 2005 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Solsbury

Add me to the list of Bonnie admirers and I go way back on this one. She's gorgeous and one of the funniest people on the planet. And it doesn't hurt that she has a terrific rack.

December 23 2005 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Oh my, yes she is so sexy. There is nothing better than to see Bonnie and Dave banter back and forth. They truly are the King and Queen of "late night" talk show entertainment. Its like seeing a trailer for Heaven and then wish for the real thing. She without a doubt should get more recognition for her incredible talent.

December 23 2005 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig

Her film Return to Me is one of the most underrated out there.

December 23 2005 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael G

She is on my list of women I would leave my wife for. Funny, smart, very beautiful. (just like my wife)

But Bonnie Hunt has a 'genuine' quality about her, that comes across in everything she does.

My favorite show was http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101078/ "Davis Rules" with Jonathan Winters in it and one of the Quad brothers, (the funny one) That is one that ended to soon. Any DVD of it out there???

December 23 2005 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weezy

Just wanted to add one more - she is the HOTTEST!!!

I love her. Always have...I was thinking the same watching her on Letterman and saw her today on Martha Stewart - even with that stick up "fill in the blank" lady, she was super funny and lovely and just wonderful.

December 23 2005 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply