July 30, 2014

Are you as curious about Dick Clark as I am?

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 26th 2005 7:37PM
New Year's Rockin' Eve pub photoOK, I've got my New Year's Eve plans pretty much set: a dinner with a friend (I think), the crucial Giants-Raiders game at 8 (if the Giants win that, they win the division), and a peek into New Year's Rockin' Eve. I don't usually turn into the ABC spectacular until right before midnight, but this year my curiosity has been piqued. America has not seen Dick Clark since he suffered a stroke in 2004, and he has not even shown up for publicity photos for this year's edition, which will be co-hosted by Ryan Seacrest and Hillary Duff. As you can see by the photo, Clark's head has been fairly obviously Photoshopped onto someone else's tuxedoed body. But he will be there, live, according to ABC.

So, what will Dick look and sound like this New Year's Eve? Is anyone else going to tune in because of this? Or am I the only morbidly curious a-hole here? Let me know in the comments.

shelbychaffin

WHAT DID DICK CLARK SAY? my dad watched New Year's Eve with Dick Clark and he is in a tizzy because Mr.Clark was talking about resolutions 2000 years ago and it sounded like the main resolution was "batbacoooper" and they cut to a commercial. What was the resolution? -shelby & ray gaitans@yahoo.com

January 01 2006 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raven A

Its 12:44 a.m. on January 1st, 2006. I've tuned in, I've watched ABC, I've heard and finally seen Dick Clark in person this year, and I've cried. I'm also trying to find a way to email or write him. I've cried because I'm so sad to see him changed so drastically from the way we all remember the ever-youthful, perpetually preserved Dick Clark to be....but also cried because I'm so very happy and touched to see how hard he has worked to come as far as he has in a year, and to make sure he was here and back in front of the cameras this year, stroke be damned. I, for one, am very glad he has worked so hard, and I'm happy to see him. I'm 28 years old, and he's been around my entire life. Somehow, it just isn't the same without him, and I'm really admiring his courage. To do what he has done, in front of those cameras tonight, takes real balls.

January 01 2006 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Strawser

Dick Clark has come a long way. After having a stroke to be able to do his beloved New Year's Eve Party and go on ABC live is an accomplishment. I wish him good health in 2006- we all should have his energy. Love ya Dick.

January 01 2006 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori

I just hope Dick Clark can be with us for many more New Year's to come and I don't care what he looks like as long as he can be present.

December 30 2005 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Earl Lee

Hey, you have to give Dick Clark and ABC credit: they might give new meaning to the phrase "the stroke of midnight.''

December 30 2005 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Jay, if I knew Dick Clark, I'd send your regards. Actually, I'd probably ask for a writing job *then* send your regards. Alas, I can't do either, since I don't know the man at all. Damn.

December 29 2005 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Junius Peake

I went to Syracuse with Dick in 1947-1949. I was part of the TV crew with him when he was station director at WAER.

Please send him my best regards, and ask him to contact me if he has a minute.

Thanks,

Jay Peake

December 29 2005 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debi

If he is actually in Time Square I imagine he will be seated and will not stand or walk around the 'set.' I also think he will speak very little. It really depends on how Mr. Clark wants to be depicted. If he wants to be a 'spokes model' for those recovering from a stroke he may indeed be active, in order to show that there is indeed life after a stroke and that those who have had a stroke can remain an active and viable part of society.
However he appears, I wish Mr. Clark and his family the best of luck. I grew up with Dick Clark and I missed him last New Year's Eve.

December 29 2005 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marge

Not out of curiosity.. out of loyalty and support... Go Dick go.. I had a brain hemorragh and stroke 14 yrs ago.. couldn't walk, talk or expect to survive the night.. I'm 72..walking and they can't shut me up or away..Happy New Year..God Bless...Marge!

December 28 2005 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tweaq

lol about the photoshop; they could go futurama style, and use dick clarks head, lol

December 27 2005 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply