July 23, 2014

Buh-bye, Hammond and Sanz: readers pick who SNL should boot

by Joel Keller, posted Dec 27th 2005 7:01PM
Darrell HammondA little over a week ago, we gave you folks an opportunity to select the Saturday Night Live cast members that you thought might be leaving at the end of this season, based on a remark Lorne Michaels gave to The New York Times. We let you choose more than one person, since it looks like more than one person is going to leave.

So, who did you think was going to go? Well, there's no surprise here: Darrell Hammond and Horatio Sanz received the most votes, with the still-on-maternity-leave Maya Rudolph coming in third. It makes sense; Hammond's been on the show for eons and is basically down to doing impressions of Chris Matthews and Donald Trump, and Sanz is... well, let's just say he's not the most popular member of the cast. The surprise was the lack of votes for Seth Myers, even though his name has been coming up quite a bit in the rumors surrounding Michaels' pronouncement.

Full poll results are after the jump.

Here are the results:

SNL Poll

Bob

Horatio Sans is one of my old time favs of the show and I've been watching SNL since the 80's. If he goes.....the show will suck. Lorne thinks he knows what's funny, but most TRUE fans of SNL like the cracking up on live TV and the flubs. It's the only stuff people want to download....trust me, I've seen it. Debbie Downer and Lindsey Lohan are huge on torrents, no other Debbie Downer was even funny. That sketch sucks unless someone cracks up. Sandler and Spade and Farley made laughing on live TV popular and I think it should be here to stay. Anyone who doesn't like it, needs to watch sitcoms and stay away from SNL all together before they ruin it.

January 22 2006 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Ladysugarwalls, Finesse is considered a featured player, according to the NBC web site; that's why I didn't list him. If he's a full cast member, though, I'm pretty sure he's unlikely to go.

December 30 2005 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vanessa

I'm a huge SNL lover and I'm sad to see anyone go. I love them all, I like Horatio. Mostly because he's the first latino on the show and i want to be the first latino girl on the show. they were all funny at one point or another but after awhile, it gets dry. I didn't realize Seth was at the edge. But now that I think about it, he's barely in anything if ever.

But my real post was about Chris Parnell. I'm a huge fan of his, I've met him many many times (hell, the entire cast, I've been to 15 shows live) and he's such a nice guy. He's really funny but no one really ever gave him credit, like Darrell. I'm so glad Lazy Sunday has made him so popular! He'll get the attention he so long deserved.

Love,
Vanessa
fallonized.com
chrisparnell.net

December 30 2005 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladysugarwalls

i dont think maya should have had such a high number.. and their missing Finesse Mitchell

December 29 2005 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

Yeah, I think most of Hammond's votes are because he's been there so long. I will certainly miss him. Also, I think that if we redid the voting, Parnell wouldn't get anywhere near as close to that many votes, after this whole Lazy Sunday thing. And Brent, Amy may be overused, but if you watch UCB, you'll understand why, because she's absolutely hilarious when she's not playing someone aggrivating like Kaitlyn. Her range of characters is pretty wide, and she's very versatile, so it's no wonder she appears so much, especially as Kristen Wiig is so new, Maya is on maternity leave, and Tina has her head writing and WU duties.

December 28 2005 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Sam -- I'm not sure it's so much that people don't like Hammond, but more that he should move on to bigger and better things. Because he is a wasted asset.

December 28 2005 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

Do you all really not like Darrell Hammond, or is it just the skits he's in? Political skits are a necessity of the show and they need an older guy who can pull those off. Those skits just need to be written better (i.e.-something other than Crossfire).

December 27 2005 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I can totally agree with Horatio Sanz -- he was NEVER funny. Hammond, however, is one the last true funny men SNL has. There is no one -- NO ONE -- capable of doing the impersonations Hammond is capable of. The problem is he's never used, and when he is it's always in a lame skit where his talents are wasted. The man deserves a quality, intelligently-written sitcom. (Of course, he'll never get that because we don't make those anymore.)

December 27 2005 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I agree with the results except the level Chris Parnell got. He should be on the show.

Also, I feel Amy Poehler is in almost every skit while other talented people are not on as much. Maybe she is part of the problem of SNL right now. So many of her characters I want to smack in the face.

December 27 2005 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply