September 19, 2014

Convince me to watch it: Criminal Minds

by Ryan j Budke, posted Dec 28th 2005 11:44AM
Our site is pretty much one big "Convince YOU to watch it", so this is your chance to get back at us, and tell us if we're missing out on something great. This is the first "Convince me to watch it" I've done where I've never even watched a single episode of the show. Criminal Minds is supposed to be one of the best new dramas this year, but I've found that just about every crime drama now-a-days pales in comparison to CSI. Mandy Pitinkin used to be a little like David Caruso for me; a decent actor who felt this urge to overact, but the horribly short Dead Like Me brought me back around to his side.

I know the show revolves around a (group of?) FBI profiler(s), who, at least from the commercial teasers, seems to get a little too in character. Pitinkin makes a great lead when he's got the right environment, and the rest of cast seems at least "solid" but the commercials and descriptions haven't been enough to hook me yet. So let me know guys and gals, is this show a worthy addition to my Wednesday night or should I look elsewhere for that Lost warmup?

Teresa

I like watching CSI and I would like to send my favourite actor, Gary Dourban a hi...I am writing from Fiji Islands and I wish I could communicate with Gary. Please relay my email address to him. I always wait to watch CSI here in Fiji which is aired on Sundays. I think the whole cast are doing an excellent work and thats the best part about it.

January 07 2006 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steph

I like Criminal Minds. I do have to say though i am the hugest CSI fan you'll ever meet and that will probably always be my number one show, Criminal Minds IS worth watching. I like it because(for me at least) its not as technical. If you're like me and love crime shows but feel like giving your brain a bit of a break, this is the show to watch. It does crime, without that somertimes annoying process of having to understand exactly how the bullet entered someones chest or something.You get to enter a criminals mind and think like they think. The cast does a great job i think. They act good and they really seem to understand what they're talking about much like the actors of CSi, so thats always a good sign. And these characters seem (from what i've seen at least) to keep to their own business and not get romantically involved. Simply put, I like it!

January 04 2006 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nishtha

People like me, who like crime dramas like Law and Order, CSI and whatever else need some new crop every couple of years as older shows start to stale out after awhile. For example, CSI:LV has gotten too predictable in the storylines and I also no longer give a crap what happens to most of the characters, in fact, I'd like to back over self-rightious Sara with my car and maybe Warrick too. CSI's idea of shaking things up was to have Nick grow that ugly ass mustache. CSI:Miami, we're not even going to go there, half the time I can't figure out what the hell is going on (and David Caruso looks exactly the same in real life). Law and Order:SVU has gotten stale and boring and the Original Law and Order has been on since the 80s (Dick, it's over man, let it go). Law and Order:Trial By Jury was just terrible and CSI:NY, well, after four Law and Order franchises NY's been done to death (and how much crime is there in NY really?). Law and Order:CI is still doing okay and so is Medium so I would say the best reason to watch Criminal Minds is because it's shiny and new and I haven't gotten sick of it yet. The only suggestion I can give is that they need to drop the Derek character because frankly, he's just a dickhead.

January 04 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gregg martin

patinkin is the very resaon NOT to watch it !! What a HAM!!.

December 31 2005 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricia

BEING TOTALLY OVERWHELMED BY THE DELUGE OF WHAT WAS ONCE NEW AND WORTH-WATCHING SERIES CSI AND LAW AND ORDER - I FIND CRIMINAL MINDS A FRESH PERSECTIVE ON A WORN OUT THEME - THE CAST ARE ALL ON TRACK - THE STORYLINES DIVERSE ENOUGH FROM THE TRIED-AND-O-SO-WORN OUT OTHER SIMILAR SHOWS - AND EVEN THOSE CHOSEN TO PLAY THE "BAD-GUYS" ARE BELIEVABLE - THAT THIS SHOW IS TOTALLY WORTH WATCHING!! NOT AN "I'LL SEE WHAT ELSE IS ON FIRST" - IT'S A PROGRAM THE T.V. TO SWITCH CHANNELS AT THAT TIME SHOW! BEST YET SINCE "HOMICIDE, LIFE ON THE STREET" WHICH MET IT'S UNTIMELY DEATH ALL TOO SOON. HOPEFULLY, THERE ARE ENOUGH OF US OUT THERE WHO ARE READY FOR A LITTLE DIFFERENT CAST OF CHARACTERS AND AS A NEW AS POSSIBLE TAKE ON WHAT ELSE HAS BECOME HUM-DRUM TO KEEP THIS ONE ALIVE FOR A WHILE.
YUP, I LOVE IT!!

December 30 2005 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I find this show fascinating in the way that the members of the Behavioural Sciences Unit can look at a scene and the way that a murder is committed and discern the characteristics of the murderer. It's not about collecting evidence, it's about getting inside the mind of the unknown subject (the Unsub), and while a show like "Profiler" made it seem like a nearly magical process, this show makes it an entirely logical progression.

December 29 2005 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Boy Named Mole

It has Rube from Dead Like Me, what else do you need?

December 28 2005 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

In this show, which my wife watched from the beginning and convinced me to try, the cast is very solid. Mandy Patinkin is remarkably restrained (I still think he'll burst out in song in some episode), and the story lines have been quite strong. It, it pains me to say, surpasses Profiler, since it doesn't center on one character, and does not have people having "visions" of how a crime occurred. It has been more consistent than CSI of late, as I think CSI has suffered from having the creative team spread too thin between the three shows.

December 28 2005 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

While I do like the show, I do not love it. The show does not have to be watched from the beginning to get what is going on (sort of like CSI). I think it is worth a look but a good alternative is Veronica Mars.

December 28 2005 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine

My husband I love this new show, except for the brainy nerd who is a little too smart sometimes.....

December 28 2005 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply