November 21, 2014

Best and Worst of 2005: Anna's List

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 4th 2006 10:00AM
Best:

5. CBS Sunday Morning  If you don't watch this, you should. It's old-school television news at its best with in-depth news stories, and lots and lots about the arts. Plus, the original "moment of zen" at the end.
4. The Daily Show  A good way to blow off steam when the news of the day is really getting you down.
3. The Office  This show really came into its own this season, and I just adore all the characters.
2. My Name is Earl  Always good for a one-liner.
1. Lost  They mess with our heads. And we like it!

Worst:

5. Night Stalker  I couldn't even stomach the first episode of this new show. Sad, because I had such high hopes for it.
4. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition  Too much showmanship, fabricated content (i.e., who can we get to build this house?), and way too much product placement.
3. Britney & Kevin: Chaotic  Quite possibly the most useless piece of crap to air this year.
2. Desperate Housewives  That's right. I can't stand this show. Too many open plotlines that don't interest me at all.
1. Saturday Night Live  It hasn't been funny in years. Except for that Narnia rap everyone is talking about.

Akbar Fazil

Doc, Sayid asked the french lady about the transmitter. She told him it is near the black rock (which we know where that is now) and that it is controlled by the others. Im confident we will be getting to it eventually. However, do you think it really matters? Its been running for 16 years and no one has come, what makes you think if Sayid got to it that it would do any good?

I would say people are still scared to go in the jungle. However, people need to survive so you have to overcome that fear to do so. Simple human survival.

The only thing that bugs me is that when we were introduced to the tail section they were really freaked out about the others and about traveling through the jungle to get to the beach yet when we saw "the other 48" episode, I felt no amount of fear or threat to be transffered over.

Quit whining about "wanting answers." The greatnes of Lost is how it is all laid out before us. If they told us everything right away it would be just another regular tv show with no heart, soul and drive.

January 04 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

JT, you are technically right, you could say that about LOST, and you could say that about any show. The important part of the sentence is "that don't interest me at all." I think the fact that Anna does an entire podcast devoted to LOST shows that all the open plotlines do in fact interest her.

For me, the open plot lines on LOST are starting to wear thin. Things like the writers not even knowing what the numbers mean, and coming out and saying that we will never find out. Or how just a couple weeks ago, in island time, people were scared to even go in the jungle, and everytime someone did there was weirdness, but now they just prance about like there never was a giant monster that ate Captain JJsbestfriendthathastobeineverythinghedoes. Or maybe how they were receiving this broadcast on a loop, found the person responsible for the broadcast, but no one thought to say, "Hey Frenchy, where's that transmitting doohickey?" I'm ready for some answers. :D

That said, I like the fact that not everyone agrees about everything. And I like the fact that there are those like Anna that are nutty about a particular series. I've had my share of TV obsessions as well. Good on all the TVSquad writers for keeping things interesting.

January 04 2006 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

i love cbs sunday morning. i even tivo it. they manage to make everything extremely interesting, even underwater basket weaving! it is part of my sunday morning ritual!

January 04 2006 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nancyofthepants

I think there should be a secret club "I Don't Really Like Desperate Housewives". And we shall grow in numbers and not be so secret anymore. So the characters are interesting, it has compelling plot twists, but at the same time... ugh I just can't stand to spend an hour of my life a week on it. As much as I support for Terri Hatcher per 'Lois and Clark', her character on this show is the anti-woman to me.

And of course, I love 'The Office'.

January 04 2006 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

That's right Edgar. Television bloggers should not talk about television all the time. Perhaps we can have some reviews on gardening or oragami.

Over at Engadget they can post about farming equipment and Joystiq can blog about the mating habits of the African dung beetle.

January 04 2006 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Awperator

In response to Edgar... it's a blog. Wake up to 2006. It's 1 or a couple of people's opinions. If you dont want to read, then dont. I on the other hand, will continue to read and enjoy these people's opinions.

January 04 2006 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Um Edgar, I think that is what Anna gets paid to do.

January 04 2006 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

"That's right. I can't stand this show. Too many open plotlines that don't interest me at all." The same could be said about Lost; Still, it's your #1 show...

January 04 2006 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edgar

Just because you have an open pulpit to express your opinions, does not mean you should do so at every oppurtunity.

January 04 2006 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply