Powered by i.TV
October 25, 2014

What happened to rabbit ears?

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 4th 2006 3:34PM
rabbitearsRabbit ears, or television antennas, could soon become a relic of the past. A new poll, out in time for the CES convention in Las Vegas, finds that 22% of Americans get their television "over the air". That is, through television waves transmitted by stations. The big powerhouse for television is cable, with 51% of people receiving their signal that way. Only 26% of American households have satellites. The report says the findings "are significant, because they indicate that analog services are now the minority in the TV marketplace." Interestingly, the poll also found that 25% of adults have a DVR hooked up to the television set.

Personally, I like DirecTV and TiVo over rather than cable. How do you prefer to get your television?

[Via Lost Remote]

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

9 Comments

Filter by:
nancyofthepants

coincidentally, i just bought a set of rabbit ears for my lovely 11-inch television. i didn't see much point in paying for cable since i would have had to use a magnifying glass to watch it.

January 05 2006 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

I get my stations the old-fashioned way: stolen cable. Just kidding mom.

January 05 2006 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I still have rabbit ears. None of my roommates have been willing to shell out for cable, and I'm not dropping over $50 on my weenie salary for television all alone.

January 04 2006 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rico

I have basic cable, which gives me everything I need (adult swim), but I got that spanktastic new HDTV USB thing for my computer that receives OTA HD signals. Surprisingly, my 10 year-old rabbit ears do a more than adequate job of picking up the UHF digital signals. So, yeah, rabbit ears = free network HDTV.

January 04 2006 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

I get my tv from the cable company, since that is also where I get my internet service. I do keep an old set of rabbit ears handy for those times when the cable goes out however. I can still pull in ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and WB. No UPN reception unfortunately, so as long as the cable doesn't go out on Wednesday night, I am generally good to go.

What exactly does DirecTV over cable mean? Are there companies offering the DirecTV service without requiring that you have a dish?

January 04 2006 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reid Sorenson

These numbers are not quite reflective of the total population. According to Nielsen estimates, only 16.2 million households (14.8%) rely entirely on broadcast, while the remaining 93.4 million (85.2%) have some sort of Cable or DBS. Last I heard, DVRs were only in 5-7% of households--nowhere near the 25% reported in this survey. Maybe a one-time survey of 1,000 people is more accurate than Nielsen's ongoing tracking of more than 13,000, maybe it's not; just take these numbers with a grain of salt.

January 04 2006 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

Not to be too literal-minded, but i'm quite sure very few homes have satellites. I'm sure many have satellite dishes, though.
That said, i'm one of the 22% with rabbit ears. I live in a major metropolitan area with great local, independent stations not available on cable. Plus, I can't see spending $50 a month when all I really want to watch is the Daily Show and cartoon network. Once a la carte cable arrives (if ever) I'll pay up for what I want. When the digital switch happens I figure I'll either buy a digital TV or get a converter box.

January 04 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcheese

I'm in college with no money, so I still basic cable the old fashioned way with rabbit ears! Sometimes, I gotta run around the room to get the best reception or dance with it, but it works.

January 04 2006 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Halden

I get it through cable, as I have too many friends with Dishes that get affected by weather. The big change I am waiting for is not the method of transmission but being allowed to get Showcase without having to buy the Golf Network. I want just the 12 channels I watch.

January 04 2006 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Follow Us

From Our Partners