April 23, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Resurrection Ship

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jan 6th 2006 11:10PM
battlestar galacticaIt's about fraking time -- BSG is back! If you recall from the last episode, vipers were launched from Pegasus against the Galactica ships, ordered to take them all down. Starbuck is off on a mission of her own, to see what the huge cylon fleet is up to with some weird new ship, and a couple of cylon-loving (well, one cylon in particular) guys are in the brig, on the edge of being executed.

How about that zoomed shot that the Admiral takes a look at, showing a lot of very familiar cylons staring back at her? What is it? A "resurrection ship" for the cylons. Since the cylons and the human ships are so far away from their home worlds, the cylons cannot have their "souls" (for lack of a better world) sent to new bodies without the resurrection ship (as a gamer myself, I think they should call this the "respawn ship"). Just as the Admiral says, this is definitely the most important ship in the galaxy -- without it, the cylons will fear death, not simply find it as an inconvenience.

The Admiral, as bitchy as she's been (and strange, too), I like her style. She promotes Starbuck, then tells her that her ultimate goal is to head back to Caprica to "kick the Cylons out" of their homes. However, as great as that plan sounds (and as great as Starbuck thought it sounded), they don't seem to realize that Madame President thinks the best idea for Adama is to kill the Admiral. After hearing the Pegasus XO's stories of the Admiral, it's clear the President is either very right, or the XO is very much lying.

How about that shot of Number Six on the bed in Baltar's dream world? Holy gods...

And how does this episode end? With another fraking cliffhanger! The back-and-forth dialogue of Adama and the Admiral, giving orders to execute each other was very well played out. I for one can't wait to see what next week will bring.

One of the things that makes this show incredible is definitely the cylon-human interactions. The scenes with Baltar and the Number Six clone in the cell were a prime example of this. The hatred of the cylons on one end, and the sympathy and compassion for them on the other, is something that puts this show in a place of its own.

Quote of the episode: "Do not fire! I'm a friendly! We're all friendly. So let's be...friendly."

(For some cool commentary on this episode, check out the exclusive clip over on AOL)

Anthony Velez

If you think of the Ressurection Ship as a cell phone tower and the Cylons as cell phones, I guess your logic is rather sound. But the bottom line, Micah, it is a movie! If they say that the ship is needed inorder to transfer into new bodies, then it is needed. You are trying to compare the technology behind the Cylons and how their consciousness is transfered to that of todays cell phones technology. Micah, I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Like I said, it is a movie and we just need to accept the technology and physics behind, "Battle Star Galactica". You will drive yourself nuts! Enjoy the drama and CGI. But if you are going somewhere with this, please let me know! I'm interested to hear it.

January 16 2006 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony Velez

Well, I think I have seen Apollo used more than once, Micah. In fact, several time. I believe the difference in choices of names is the situation they are in. If it is official business, then Adama. If it is unofficial or "play time," it is Apollo. This is my take but could be wrong of course. Where are you going with this? Anything behind the "Apollo" name use or lack of? I like to know, thanks.

January 16 2006 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micah Morris

I had another thought. In the origianl series Adama's son went by his call sign Apollo. In this series I have only seen it used once I think. When starbuck returns from her reconosince mission of the Ressurection ship and sees the Pegasus vipers having a battle of manuvers with the vipers of Galactica, she recieves an email/instant message from Apollo. Did I see that right, and why doesn't he use this name more?

January 14 2006 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony Velez

I apologize for jumping in but I had a question. Before the initial Cylon attach which kills almost everyone on their home planet, Six talks about how after she dies from the blast, her body will just be transfered to another body. Baltar will simply die here because he is human. As the bomb hits and the blast spreads, we can see Six thrusted Baltar's head down to her belly. Man, she's frackin' hot!! Sorry.. I don't see how this would be much protection for Baltar. Let me get to the point. I think Baltar is a cylon, or better known as a "sleeper agent"! This explain how he "survived" and would also explain why he can talk with six in his head about relevent issues. Now he might be our president, excuse me, their president if Roslin dies! This will open a lot of different angles for the writers. Is this possible or not? Please let me know what you guys think?

January 14 2006 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micah Morris

Well, it seems that most of your questions were anwsered this week, I personally couldn't be happier that Admiral Cain was shot in the head. I record it on my DVR and watch it at least a couple times a week. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it can seem a little bit like a soap opra. Especially, last season between number 6 and Dr. Baltar. Not so bad this season so far. I wonder if Admiral Adama will go back to caprica to pick up survivors? Destroying the Ressurection ship dosen't really kill cylons. ( my theroy) If you think about it cylons are computers which essentialy breaks down into data when they die. Just because the ressurection ship is not there to pick up the data doesn't mean that the data is destroyed. If you think about it in terms of a cell phone if you take your phone and smash it on the ground and then try to call it, just because it doesn't ring doesn't mean that the frequency isn't there. Does that make sense?

January 13 2006 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

Spoiler alert:

The Pegasus will remain for at least a while, I don't think Fisk will be commanding it, actually from what I heard there will be an episode dealing precisely with the command issues on Pegasus. It won't be Starbuck doing the killing, however I'm not sure who it will be.
Does the number six on Pegasus have a name? As for Cain being a Cylon, i don't think so, If she was a Cylon I don't think would be spitting on a fellow Cylon and allowing that kind of abuse. Starbuck does
perform the eulogy though for Cain. As for Roslin, she does get saved by Baltar which develops a cure for her cancer based on his Cylon research. The only question i have really is why don't they just use the Cylon ship they stole from caprica to load nukes on it and blow up the resurrection ship? they were able to do it with the Base Star on Kobol. I have more spoilers if you want

January 10 2006 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

I think this episode was excellent on many levels. What impressed me most was how the dialogue trumped the action. In the last scene, the difference in the choice of words between Adama's and Cain's assassination orders is revealing. Cain cannot be honest with herself and say that she is going to murder Adama. She tells her first officer to end Adama's command. Whereas Adama bluntly orders Starbuck to shoot Cain in the head. He's not going to evade what's really going on. Also, Adama knows well that shots to the chest are not necessarily fatal, and he wants Cain dead with the first shot. A brilliant scene.

Galactica goes from strength to strength. I hope it can continue to do so.

January 10 2006 at 2:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pav

The joy of TIVO, here's a spoiler seen in the teaser for next weeks episode: It is NOT Starbuck who has the gun up to Admiral Cain's head, if you look carefully you will see marks on the wrist of the gun holder - meaning it has to be someone who has been shackled. This is either six or boomer and only six is on the Admiral's Ship.

January 08 2006 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Eric: I'm pretty sure that's not right. Zarek was nominated for VP, and Roslin countered (eventually) with the nomination of the "popular" Baltar. At least that's the way I remember it (I'll pop in Bastile Day (or is it Colonial Day?) when I get home tonight.
Mark Rabinowitz: Ronald Moore actually does keep a blog at SciFi.com, though he hasn't updated it as much in Season 2, but he often answered questions like that in the blog. Take a shot: http://blog.scifi.com
Ryan/Andrew: I'm pretty sure there was actually a line in Pegasus where Fisk talked about how Cain figured that the CNP (I think that was the name of Baltar's old program) was at the root of Cylon attack. Just like Adama said in the Mini-Series, the computers work, as long as they're not networked.
Ian: I believe the human's growing affection of the Cylons has been a more recent theme, but if you look at 'journey' of Six and CapricaBoomer since early on, the ability for Cylons to love (humans) was always there.

To me, there's no way that the Dues Ex Machina that we're all feeling coming around the corner won't be something that necessarlily keeps Baltar out of office as much as its one that keeps Roslin alive. Her role is so central to the show that IMHO, there's no way she leaves it. Perhaps there is some Cylon (possibly Boomer)-related miracle cure around the corner?

Can't wait for next week!

January 08 2006 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Ryan, If you notice Galactica also has some new vipers. In the case of Pegasus, they must have found out that the cylons were hacking the computer sytems and made their vipers fly-by-wire, plus Galactic was ran by a skeleton crew at the start of the mini-seris. Also the ship was going in for a overhaul when the Cylons attacked the colonies. Or you can take advice from Moore and not worry about this "refrigerator logic".

January 08 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply