September 21, 2014

Best and Worst of 2005: Annie's List

by Annie Wu, posted Jan 6th 2006 1:08PM
Stephen ColbertThe Best:
1. My Name is Earl: I didn't think this was going to be any good when I first saw the commercials because it looked like another stupid sitcom about -- whoo-hoo -- rednecks. Jason Lee's a cool cat, though, so I tuned in for one episode... Boy, am I glad I saw it! Although Lee doesn't disappoint, Jaime Pressly's performance is absolutely hysterical and often steals the show. Definitely one of my favorite programs of the year.

2. The Daily Show: I've loved it. Sill love it.

3. The Colbert Report: I was a little worried about this show in the beginning, but quickly grew to love it. Stephen Colbert's got a good thing going on right now and I'm definitely looking forward to more.

4. Lost: I love it when a show/film has a strong ensemble cast. That plus deep, conflicted backstory and tremendous writing is must-see TV for me.

5. Project Runway: Okay, they're only a few episodes in, but Project Runway never fails to deliver. Classiest reality show, hands-down.

The Worst:
1. Andy Milonakis Show: I enjoy stoner humor and can appreciate random situations (once, for absolutely no reason, I laughed at a half-eaten chicken wing and ball of tin foil for half an hour... I swear) but I fail to see what's so funny about this show. "Lookitme, I'm completely non sequitur! WHOO! PANCAKES!"

2. Invasion: It sounded like an interesting story but it was stretched way too thin. After three episodes or so, I realized that nothing was coming from it... so I stopped watching.

3. Out of Practice: This show is absolutely dreadful. Rizzo, darling, you're so much better than this (I was going to make a "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" joke but I'm resisting). You too, Christopher Gorham.

4. Being Bobby Brown: Why? For the love of all that is pure and good, WHY?!

5. Laguna Beach: See above.

Steven

The Colbert Report is without doubt the best show on Television right now. Colbert has surpassed not only Jon Stewart, but all comedic TV Talk Show Hosts in his comedy.

February 05 2006 at 6:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pranav

I agree with Alan. I watched the first few eps of Earl, and I didn't really think there was anything *amazingly funny* about it. But a much better concept than most other sitcoms out there.

I also agree that at times, TCR is much better than TDS. My favorite part is "the Word" ...which never ceases to be even more funnier each time around.

January 07 2006 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

I agree with Akbar. I think Earl is very funny. Plus, Jason Lee and Jamie Presley do a great job, along with the rest of the cast.

January 06 2006 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

It must be something you are missing Alan. I laugh more at My name is earl than all other comedy on TV combined.

January 06 2006 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MW

Some nights The Colbert Report is better than The Daily Show. I'm really glad it turned out as good as it is -- handled the wrong way, it could have been a completely one-note show. TDS and Colbert are definitely the best hour of TV Comedy Central has to offer.

January 06 2006 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

Can someone please explain to me the attraction to "My Name is Earl?" The show's not funny. It's kind of interesting how each week Earl gets his Karma in check, but that's not enough to make me come back. Is it just something I'm missing?

January 06 2006 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply