October 1, 2014

Nickelodeon prez steps down

by Adam Finley, posted Jan 6th 2006 11:32AM
Herb ScannellHerb Scannell, who served as president of Nickolodeon Networks since 1996, recently announced he would be stepping down. Normally I don't get too excited about executive shifts such as these, but Scannell was responsible for giving Nickelodeon the boost it needed, bringing in such humongously popular shows as SpongeBob SquarePants, Blue's Clues, Rugrats, and Dora the Explorer. Scannell also expanded the Nickelodeon brand by adding a new animation studio, launching networks Noggin and The N, and starting Nickelodeon's feature film division. Cyma Zarghami, who has worked for Nickelodeon for the last twenty years and is repsponsible for bringing in live-action "tween" comedies like Drake and Josh and Unfabulous, will take over for Scannell. Animation expert and insider Jerry Beck, who worked with Scannell at Nickelodeon, has a few kind words to say about the man on his blog.

Dagmar

I gotta go along with Mack. The Fairly Oddparents pretty much stinks now. The only way I'd ever watch it again is if Nick ran an ad for it that went like this: "Tonight...on a very special 'Fairly Oddparents'...Wanda divorces Cosmo'." (I can't stand that whiny little jerk Cosmo anymore).

January 08 2006 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

Whoa there, man, I still love the Fairly Oddparents. I wish they'd quit showing 6teen in the afternoons and cancel Zoey 101, which is awful.

January 08 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Stein

Maybe the new head honcho will finally cancel "The Fairly Oddparents". That show has really gone downhill just over the past year. I used to watch it with my kids and they now prefer "Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends" and I can't say I blame them.

January 08 2006 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily

Rugrats did get really popular in the mid-90's, before that it was actually cancelled for awhile.

January 06 2006 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon Carpenter

Carl was right about that, Rugrats started in 1991 and I watched it until recently. I'm also pretty sure that he is the one who took "Invader Zim" off the air and I have been angry with him since then. I am very glad that he is gone and I hope that the person who replaces him will get "Invader Zim" back on the air.

January 06 2006 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brian

Just a heads up - Rugrats premiered in the Nick Toons package (w/ Doug and Ren & Stimpy) in the early '90s.

January 06 2006 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply