October 30, 2014

Stargate and/or Stargate Atlantis: Convince me to watch it

by Ryan j Budke, posted Jan 6th 2006 12:26PM
Stargate; SG1Nothing like being timely; as all good geeks know, tonight marks the return of not only the brilliant Battlestar Galactica for the second half of it's second season, but also Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis. Stargate SG1 is now the longest running science fiction series in history, this being its 10th season premiere. Atlantis is quickly gaining attention and is one of the most successful spin-offs ever. As with almost all 'convince me to watch its', I've only seen a couple episodes of Stargate, and that was years and years ago, back when MacGyver still led the team. I've never seen an episode of Stargate Atlantis, but heard nothing but good things about it. So you guys tell me - am I missing something great? Would I be lost if I started now, in the middle of the show's run? So sound off guys! I know we've got a lot of fans from both Stargates, so I wanna hear from you. Convince me to watch it!

RiversBend

Atlantis is okay. I mainly watch it because the Wraith are cool and Teyla and Ronan rock.

As for SG-1...this show ROCKS. I'm still catching up to it (lots of seasons to catch up with!!) and I still love it!! I watch it every single day, and every Friday I anxiously await for the clock to chime 9pm (okay, so I don't have a chiming clock--you get the idea). At that point, it doesn't matter what I'm doing, I stop it (even if I'm dying...dying can wait!!!) and turn the tv to channel 50. Stargate SG-1. And this season is even COOLER!! (Which is really saying a lot.) The Ori have been struggling to convert people without actually messing with them (rules from the Ancients...not quite sure who they are, but they're strong). Now--EVIL CHILD!! Daughter of a human and the Ori (kinda like an evil Jesus....except female...), and played by a super-hottie (Morena Baccarin). She truly and completely believes that she is doing what is right and good--killing millions because they refuse to believe. But she's still human--still succeptible to change. To suggestion.

Will she continue killing? Will she realize what it is that she is really doing? Can her mother get through to her before it's too late? Can the SG-1 team stop the evil tirade of death in time??? FIND OUT NEXT TIME!!

....Ahem. *cough* Yes. I say you should watch it.

July 15 2006 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sulien

Ah okay, you want to know WHY (just read your recent comment) you should watch the two Gate series.

Without going into details of plot synopses for various seasons or episodes, I'll say that they have and meet very high standards for production values, acting, and scripts. All of the characters are believable (sci-fi or not), as well as highly likeable. Besides being an excellent action adventure/sci-fi show, it's also a great drama or comedy, depending on the episode.

If I had to recommend a single episode to exemplify Stargate SG-1, it would be season 7's "Heroes" parts I and II (okay, it's a two-parter). Some of the best TV EVER. Borrow it from someone who has the DVDs, rent it from one of the online services, or just buy the whole season. It's worth it for this story.

July 15 2006 at 2:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sulien

Well, the only real reason I have cable are the Gates (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis). Sure, I flip channels and watch other shows on occasion, if not regularly (usually things on the "geek tv" channels and the Law and Order series), but the Gates are the only shows I watch without fail (or record to watch later if I'm out). Those two series are worth it!

July 15 2006 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SusClau

I named my cat after Dr. Rodney McKay... 'nough said! And it's a female cat! Just watch it...

March 13 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ikey Benney

Hi:

I have seen a few episodes of this TV show, STARGATE.

This is a science fiction story about the discover of a gateway machine that can transport humans to other world and the adventures in meeting and interacting with aliens.

This is a very interesting show.

The only problem is that all the episodes sound and look alike.

There is little or nothing to differentiate each episode from the other.

This can create boredom and compel fans to drop off.

Besides Star Trek The Voyager, this is among one of my most favorite TV shows because it is entertaining and has sociological, scientific and philosophical messages to convey.

I recommend this TV show.

Ikey Benney

February 16 2006 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

I thoroughly enjoy Stargate SG-1. Though it's in its second season, Stargate Atlantis hasn't rubbed off on me all that much yet, I guess you may consider me a slow TV series adapter and selective viewer of all things TV, even Sci-Fi. But once ya get me ya get for life, so I am an SG-1 lifer.

Since Season 1 to the current half of Season 9, the series scenario has remained the same (big liquid pool, flushes sideways and takes you to places never seen before and the cast (for the majority has also remained the same). That in my book is a veeery nice thing.

As for the current seasonit's hard to break in new characters and hard to lose others in a successful series, as is the case with me adjusting to the addition of Colonel Cameron Mitchell and the "sigh" unstoppable loss of Colonel/General Jack O'Neill. If you think about it, I have dedicated a lot of my life to this show. Which I truly enjoyed every minute of.

I am curious when you say "the last time I watched it was years and years ago when he was still the leader" what year was it? So much has happened since then. There are some many must see eps between then and now.

So, to answer your question, I doubt you could really follow SG-1 and enjoy it if you didn't know the storys development (after all nine years with multiple episodes per year is a lot to catch up on). But is it worth watching all those episodes to get to this point? Yes, absolutely! It is worth watching now? For me the answer is yes, absolutely...for you, not so much. BUT WAIT! I have a solution. Every weeknight at 6 PM EST, and between 7PM and 10 PM (sometimes 11 PM) on Monday the Sci-Fi channels airs older Stargate eps. Also in my area, the WB airs last seasons SG-1 eps at 8 PM on Saturday and repeats at 2 AM or 4 AM on the following Monday morning. Watching and/or taping these older eps, you'll catch up to us rarin'-to-catch-new-eps-seen- all-seasons-up-to-now folks in no time ;).

Diana

January 31 2006 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ceci Budimier

Stargate Atlantis is wonderful!!...better than SG1 in my opinion. I loved Stargate, the movie but could never get into the show. I am giving it a second chance now that Ben Browders joined the cast. He's a great actor and I always think Farscape when I see him - perfect role for him then but doing pretty well in SG1. Atlantis is better to me because I feel a better chemistry among the actors - they seem to be a real team. I'm worried that they keep adding or changing actors as regulars as that tends to weaken a show. The core group was just fine. I just started watching Atlantis last week so have missed the first part of season 2, but have already rushed out to buy and have watched DVD of season 1 and purchased any books related to it. I started watching after seeing bits and pieces of it at the beginning of my Battlestar Galactica-BSG (can't beat this show!!)recordings and read about it on fansites that shared space with BSG. I'm not turning back. Ofcourse some epsiodes have been much better than others, but give it a try - you won't regret it! Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the opportunity to actually travel to Atlantis or other sites via Stargates. Like one of your other responses, I'm probably a little older (50) than most that watch these type shows, but I love them. My husband and I are retired Marines and I know that we would have been assets to any Stagate team. He was a jet jockey and I was always stuck on a general's staff. And I was a rebel like LtCol Sheppard - the military needs more like us today. Thanks for allowing me to go on and on with my comments.

January 14 2006 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan j Budke

Hey SGfan,
The whole point of these articles is that I don't know anything about them, I'm asking you guys to tell me about them. I didn't say that Richard Dean Anderson left years and years ago, I said the last time I watched it was years and years ago when he was still the leader.

The tenth season premiere thing was a mistake, I apologize for that, they got picked up a couple of months ago for a their 10th season already and that's what I was thinking about.

So why don't you get your facts straight hmmm.
;-)

January 11 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SGfan

Wow. You probably shouldn't be reporting on something you know next to nothing about. As others have pointed out, this is the popular series' NINTH season, not TENTH. And I know it was supposed to be a joke, but MacGyver never led the team. A guy named Jack O'Neill did, though. And it wasn't YEARS and YEARS back... It was more like two years ago.

So... stick to what you know, eh? :)

January 10 2006 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

just buy the boxed dvd sets. sg-1 is dead since season-9 - the new cast sucks, RDA is missed.

atlantis' season-1 was okay, season-2 isn't any good.

January 07 2006 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply