April 24, 2014

Best and worst of 2005: Sarah's list

by Sarah Gilbert, posted Jan 8th 2006 8:42AM
i love the chemistry between chris noth and
annabelle sciorraBest:
5. The Backyardigans A preschoolers' show I'd watch if I didn't have kids. Yes, when you drove past my house the other day, that was me dancing along to "I love being a princess!"
4. Law & Order: Criminal Intent  I thought I couldn't watch the show without Vincent D'Onofrio. But Chris Noth and Annabelle Sciora have the kind of vulnerable-yet-professional chemistry that I never dreamed possible between Chris and Sarah Jessica Parker or Annabelle and James Gandolfini.
3. Grey's Anatomy  It's kooky, it's outlandish, and all the characters, I can't help but love 'em despite their annoying peccadilloes. And who knew I'd fall in love with Dr. Bailey?
2. Medium  I'd watch it just for the family drama. But the mysteries are fantastic, the writing eloquent and witty, the twists always fool me until 52 past the hour.
1. The 4400  Sci fi that transports, characters that draw me in, and it's coming back in 2006. Hurray!

Worst:

5. Saturday Night Live  My husband still gets excited about Saturday nights. Until I remind him, honey, it's just not funny!
4. ER  I'm so sad that I hate Thursdays now. I used to love Thursdays.
3. 7:30 p.m. timeslot  There's nothing good on at 7:30 p.m., not even on the Food Network. I hate 7:30 p.m.
2. Sandra Lee's Semi-homemade Cooking  Make it from scratch or buy it from the store. And either way, aren't we all old enough now to admit whether we can, or cannot, cook?
1. Out of Practice  Stockard Channing, Henry Winkler, what have ye wrought?

Allie

Try "Without a Trace" next Thursday night.

January 13 2006 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

I love Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe, and I'd be really irritated if they left. But I went into this season thinking I'd watch one of the Logan/Barek episodes and then just watch Goren/Eames after that. I loved Logan on L&O, but his guest-starring turn last season struck me as really awkward. But I agree with Sarah: I was pleasantly surprised by Logan & Barek. Barek is an interesting character and a little different than what we've gotten in the L&O franchise before--street-smart and otherworldly at the same time. I think, too, that Logan's lack of an easy fit with the CI universe fits with the character--he's coming back from exile, after all. My point, anyway, is that I'd be very disappointed if the show lost D'Onofrio and Erbe, but it would still be worth watching.

And, hey, don't write off 7:30--House Hunters is on at 7:30 every night.

January 09 2006 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Robertson

Law & Order Criminal Intent will not be the same without Vincent D'onofrio and Katheryn Erbe. They make the show. Substituting anyone else is just another Law and Order.

January 09 2006 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caitlen

Quote:
Law & Order: Criminal Intent I thought I couldn't watch the show without Vincent D'Onofrio. But Chris Noth and Annabelle Sciora have the kind of vulnerable-yet-professional chemistry that I never dreamed possible between Chris and Sarah Jessica Parker or Annabelle and James Gandolfini.

Well for me they are 2 entirely different characters compared to the "origanal" 2 "Goren/Eames. So while its 1 for 1 episode either week, once Vincent`s contract is up, ( 2006) and if he doesnt stay beyond that. I cant see how it would stay "alive" beyond that. But i guess we will see how good Logan is if he can keep it going after "Goren" exits.?? jmho, cheers

January 08 2006 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Neuhauser

I don't think it is appropriate to have Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Cooking show on your top 5 Worst List.
perhaps you lack understanding the techniques she uses for which she has been widely acclaimed for, aside from yourself. Sandra, Rachel, Paula, Giada, Bobby, Emeril, Michael, and the other FoodNetwork chefs are all top rate, else they would not have regular, steady shows with increasing audiences.

January 08 2006 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hank Mohaski

Surprise, surprise! Another SNL hater...I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I think the hatred for SNL is more about people being lemmings than the quality of the show itself. At some point, enough "critics" panned SNL, and it hit the tipping point, and now the "SNL isn't funny anymore" meme is seemingly everywhere.

Interesting that for such a purportedly unfunny show, it's one of the most written about shows here at TV Squad (just look at the tallies in that column directly to the right)...Even more interesting is the idea that it still must be watched with regularity by the very people who claim to hate it. Otherwise, how can one know and claim that it's supposedly consistently unfunny...I mean, what about you, Ms. Gilbert - if you think it sucks, why do you watch it? Just because your husband does?

And what is perhaps more interesting (and makes me believe that people are lemmings) is that the criticism of this show never moves beyond "it's not funny anymore". There is no analysis of WHY it's not funny, or what might be done to improve the show.

Most interesting of all? Everyone seems to love Tina Fey and believe she's got a bright future in the entertainment business - all this love for the head writer of a show they all hate. Surely she must be held accountable more than anyone with the possible exception of Lorne Michaels. Again, further proof to me that it's not so much that people believe what they do about SNL, but more that they simply believe what others say. It's fashionable to hate SNL, but no one can really say anything substantial about that hatred.

And I'm old enough to remember that people said the Murphy-Piscopo era wasn't as funny as the original cast, and then that the mid-80's cast wasn't as funny as the Murphy-Piscopo era, and then after the resurgence with the Hartman era, that the late-90's era wasn't as funny as the Hartman era, etc, etc...

Once again, I wish I didn't have to constantly defend a show that is as solid and dependable as it has ever been. Could it be better? Sure - they could flesh out most sketches (something the Hartman era did the best), and figure out how to write endings for most sketches (something SNL has NEVER been particularly good at), and try harder to create running threads through any given show (in the manner of Monty Python), but these are criticisms the haters never make, and that includes the writers here at TV Squad.

A 90 minute LIVE comedy sketch show is a difficult beast, and here we have a show that has done it 22 weeks a year for approximately 30 years, through cast changes upon cast changes and despite the varying tastes of a fickle TV viewing public. Lorne Michaels and SNL must be doing something right. Right?

In a TV landscape riddled with cookie cutter medical dramas and cliched police procedurals, the empty calories of reality programming and self-congratulatory TV News shows like 20/20, the SNL format remains rather unique and refreshing, and sometimes I feel like I'm the only viewer willing to recognize that fact.

The day will inevitably come when SNL is gone from the air, and why do I get the feeling that the same people that hate this show will truly miss it when it's gone?

Once again - if you don't like the show, don't watch it, and for heaven's sake, quit writing so regularly about it. Or more realistically, just have the cajones to admit that you do find a certain amount of enjoyment from a true television institution, all those lemming-like haters be damned.

Viva SNL!

January 08 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janice

I totally agree with your comments about Criminal Intent:) Noth is just as good as D'Onofrio.. and the chemistry Noth and Sciorra have makes it for an interesting and exciting show..:

January 08 2006 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I have to disagree with you concerning Out of Practice. I think the show is funny. No, it's not perfect, but what show is? Friends wasn't perfect -- ever -- and it's first two seasons were really bad. (No, I'm not saying Out of Practice is Friends -- it could never be that.) Part of what makes this show so funny, at least to me, is the chemistry between each of the cast members. They all seem to feed off each other, which I like.

I completely agree with your opinion of Semi-homemade Cooking. Sandra Lee is the most over-rated "talent" on Food Network. The only real reason to watch Sandra Lee are her breasts and the low-cut sweaters that show them off.

January 08 2006 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply