October 21, 2014

The Simpsons: Homer's Paternity Coot

by Ryan j Budke, posted Jan 9th 2006 1:45PM
So let's get it out of the way right off the bat -- Wiiliam H. Macy and "Smokin" Joe Frazier are not even in consideration to be Homer's father in this episode, it's only Michael York. The other two are in the episode alright, but in other funny cameos. The "mystery" of Homer's past has been done a couple of times, in a couple of different ways, so this episode wasn't necessarily an "original" idea, but it was still pretty funny nonetheless. I think I may have finally put my finger on what's been missing from the show the past couple of years, and why it's suddenly funny again, but I'll get to that in the recap, for now -- On with the show!

As with all Simpsons episodes, where we started, wasn't even close to where we finished. Marge caused an accident on the new toll road that popped nearly half the town's tires. The blown tires got added to Springfield's nationally panned tire fire, and the resulting fumes melted part of Mt. Springfield away. In the subsequent thaw, they discovered a mailman had been frozen there, still with mail in his pouch,  since the 1960's. All of the mail was delivered, and in typical Simpsons tradition, each letter could have made a difference in the character's lives had they been delivered several decades earlier. Moe, could have played with other kids since he's not actually allergic to pollen, you know, things like that. One such letter found it's way to the Simpson household addressed to Mona Simpson. When they opened it, they unearthed a decades long secret: Mona had an affair, and Abe might not be Homer's father! Dun dun dun!

Before Homer was conceived, Mona had an affair with a lifeguard named Mason Fairbanks (Michael York). He sent her a letter trying to convince her to leave Abe, and also to say he knew who the baby's real father was. Homer tracked him down and found that he was an extremely wealthy treasure hunter. Jackpot! Just to be sure though, they took a DNA test and found that Mason is indeed Homer's biological father. The family quickly abandoned Abe and latched on to Mason and his philanthropy. Homer even joined him on a treasure dive, but when he had a near death experience underwater and his life flashed before his eyes, they were all memories of Abe. When he came to, he pronounced his love of his "true" father, the man who raised him. Abe then admits to Homer that he switched the DNA tests when he saw how happy the family was with Mason.

Funny episode, and one with a lot of heart, too. That, I think, is the missing ingredient from the past couple of years that I was talking about earlier. This season they've taken a very mature approach to a couple of interesting topics that have been glossed over in the past. I think the episode with Lisa in the graveyard from earlier this year is one of the best episodes they've ever done because it was extremely funny and poignant. They've taken a lot of liberties in the past with The Simpsons, and it seems like this year, they're trying to justify them all. I say, keep up the excellent work.

Couch Gag of the Week: The family sits down and then someone comes in and snaps a family portrait. They then show the picture with "2006" under it. They then cycle through the years to come, showing how the family... progresses.

veal

I have missed just about every epsisode this season because of the West Wing - but I look forward to catching up.

January 25 2006 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors, my computer's stupid and sometimes omits words when I save things. For instance, the previous post was supposed to say "Thank You" not just "You."
I don't know why the "Thank" was deleted.

January 10 2006 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors, my computer's stupid and sometimes omits words when I save things. For instance, the previous post was supposed to say "Thank You" not just "You". I don't know why the "Thank" was deleted.

January 10 2006 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Brett,
In your response you put,"I've seen people the last three years say it is improving in quality.".....................................................................................................Thank You for proving my point. The show is ON IT'S WAY back up.

January 10 2006 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

Matt,

I should bring the facts, I just have anectodotal evidence of everyone ridiculing me if I watch an episode. I've seen people the last three years say it is improving in quality. That is not saying much. All I see is the one-liner jokes and guest stars in ridiculous plots that have defined the last 6 years of crap. Seinfeld knew when to let go (last season was pretty bad). So did Nirvana. As Frou Frou song goes, "So let go." I liked the show, but it should go. But, I can agree to disagree. I watch C-SPAN on Sunday nights anyway (so I am out of touch) and download Family Guy the next day.

I am an ER fan, too, but it pains me to see that the show is between not good and meh. It needs to be cancelled. I'll still watch it in the mean time.

January 10 2006 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Hey Brent,
You say that I'm in a very small minority for considering the Simpsons to be on the way back up. If that's the case, then how do you explain the stronger ratings that the show is enjoying in comparison to the last two seasons? I believe more people are beginning to agree with me. They're starting to give the Simpsons another chance and must like what they see because the ratings are going up. You really need to research what you're saying because it's based only on YOUR opinion and it's misleading. Just because you, and maybe your buddies, feel one way doesn't mean that everyone else does as well. Sure there can be readers who've come to this site to post their negative, cry-baby comments and might THEY might agree with you, but the ratings indicate otherwise. Face it; the numbers don't lie. The show is on its way back up.

January 10 2006 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MW

I think the show took its biggest dip in quality right after Futurama started airing, and has gone back up in quality since Futurama was cancelled. That said, Futurama was a show that had a tremendous amount of heartfelt sentiment, and I agree that that's the biggest thing the show was missing. You just can't be silly all the time -- there has to be an emotional pull that brings out the humor in a show. That's actually my biggest complaint about Family Guy and its peers. It can be funny, don't care about those characters in the least.

January 09 2006 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I'm sorry, the premise of this episode was bad. The show is reusing the same stories, just a few different elements. I don't have hope of the Ricky Gervais episode being any good. If the show is hoping to be good again, it has to revamp the show in major ways. And if you think the show is good right now, you are in a very small minority.

January 09 2006 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skippy

The Simpson DVD sets have a commentary for every esisode by the writers, producers, etc. Sometimes I wonder if them being "forced" to watch old episodes and talk about them causes them to reconnect with that earlier magic that really sparked the show initially. Then that's re-infused into newer episodes? Hard to say.

January 09 2006 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Whoever posted the previous comment is just completely retarded. He said "Remember Homer's brother? They looked almost the same, and yet they aren't related?" That was the point of the episode. It certainly had me going. I was dissapoointed until it turned out that Abe is, indeed, Homer's real father. Homer and Herb (Homer's brother) look the same because, as last night's episode showed, Abe IS the father. The show is on it's way back up.

January 09 2006 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply