November 24, 2014

David Letterman leaving in 2-3 years? BREAKING NEWS

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 10th 2006 12:17AM

Maybe I'm reading a little too much into this, but the way it was presented, I don't think so.

David Letterman had Albert Brooks on the show tonight, and Brooks announced that he was a littlte sad that this was Letterman's last week. It was just a joke to set up a take-off on Bette Midler's farewell song to Johnny Carson in the early 90s (Brooks sang "Thanks For The Memory" to Letterman), but Letterman said something interesting during the exchange. He said that he wasn't leaving this week, that he actually had "2 or 3 years left." That got my attention, and he repeated the same exact thing about 30 seconds or so later.

Now, one could say that this was just a piece of dialogue to play along with Brooks' satire, but I don't think so. Letterman said it in a very even tone and played the straight man in the exchange, giving real information to correct Brooks' mistake on the date of his departure.

This wouldn't be exactly "shocking" news, since it has been rumored that Letterman might be moving every time his contract is up for renewal. And with Leno leaving in 2009, Letterman might time his departure for the same time. I'm really curious to see what exactly Letterman meant by the "matter of fact" statement.

Clint

I really do think Letterman calls it quits around when Leno leaves in 2009. He's only had good things to say about Conan and I think he would prefer not to compete with him. So 2-3 years may not be so much of a joke.

And his replacement? They'll definitely go for Jon Stewart first. Conan vs. Stewart, now that would be a late-night battle!

January 10 2006 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgan at Spot Cost

I used to (10 years ago) LOVE Letterman. Really enjoyed it. But as time went on, I realized the guy's just a bitter, unfriendly old dickhead, and I knew if I met him I'd hate him. Since then he's just gotten more cantankerous and unfunny to me, and the sooner the better, I say.

January 10 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Hill

I think Dave just meant that's when his contract is up.

January 10 2006 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne

and, I agree, their bit was created and discussed and decided upon ahead of time. I'll even admit everyone with all their marbles in place probably enjoyed it--I just found it disappointing and odd. But, we'd never get those brilliant moments from Dave if he wasn't consistently willing to try things from the limb's edge, which, by definition means pleasing some and confusing others. Jon Stewart, ya think? Makes sense, I guess. Dave's already seemed to amp up his political POV's the past couple of years. I prefer either equal slamming, no slamming, or hard-to-decipher political leanings, a bit like Leno's been able to accomplish, however, I suppose that could be a recipe for tepid soup...

January 10 2006 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne

January 10 2006 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne

I used to really enjoy Conan. Maybe, my change of heart's got something to do with the fact that I've grown to believe Letterman is the sharpest, most entertaining, always-surprising, ONLY sensible option for MY late night viewing. Now, whenever I see Conan, I entertain myself by counting how often he inserts himself into everything his guests say. For someone who hasn't learned the nuances of successful self-effacement, he sure loves discussing himself.... As for Dave's eventual replacement? I'd looooooooooooove to be able to see Eddie Izzard every night. Barring that dream, someone either undiscovered and totally unknown or someone "unexpected", as in, say, James spader....I'll stop now.

January 10 2006 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

I don't think Letterman was helping Brooks out of his hole, because these bits are prepared beforehand, and Letterman's part was planned. That's what makes it even more interesting, that he chose those words to say.

And as for who CBS will get to replace Letterman, that's easy: Jon Stewart.

January 10 2006 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

When that times comes, I wonder who CBS will get to replace Letterman? Before Letterman jumped from NBC, CBS had a string of failures opposite the Tonight Show. Letterman brought name recognition and a built-in audience. NBC has already locked in Conan O'Brien for Leno's successor -- a great choice that may actually get me to watch the Tonight Show again.

January 10 2006 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anne

I thought it was just Dave trying to dig Brooks out of the steep and deep hole he was busy digging for himself. Dave seemed to have figured out early on in the setup "gag" that it wasn't working to say the least. Dave seemed uncomfortable and his comments, along the lines of "Oh--no, that's not right--I'm not leaving for two or three years...I don't know where you get your information...etc." , at least, to me, had no special significance or cause for concern. But, then again, maybe I was just so focused on Albert Brooks' and his unending misfire, desperate for it to end, that I totally missed Dave's "message".

January 10 2006 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

It's always sad to think that a TV institution may soon be leaving the tube, even if it is two or three years away. I think David has more than two seasons left in him, so hopefully he continues on. Do you think Oprah will make an appearance on his finale?

January 10 2006 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply