October 31, 2014

Lillo Brancato arraigned on murder charges

by Anna Johns, posted Jan 10th 2006 11:37AM
A courtroom in the Bronx was full on Monday when former Sopranos actor Lillo Brancato Jr. and a friend were arraigned on murder charges. Brancato and his buddy, Steven Armento, are accused of shooting a cop who caught them by surprise during a robbery on December 10th.

The courtroom was filled with spectators, including the parents of the dead police officer, Daniel Enchuategui. The families of Brancato and Armento were also there, as well as a handful of police officers. An estimated 150 off-duty police officers stood outside the courtroom in a show of support for the fallen officer.

Later, during a news conference, a spokesperson for the police officers said, "We are here to make sure that the celebrity that murdered a New York police officer is not treated any different." And, of Brancato, he said, "He can summon tears upon request. Do not be fooled. He is an evil man."

Prosecutors say Officer Enchuategui identified himself, ordered the men to freeze, and that's when Armento shot him in the chest. The officer shot both men, Brancato twice and Armento six times, before he died. Brancato claims he didn't know Armento had a gun, but prosecutors say they are charging both men with the murder, because, "when you are there, you are as guilty as the person who did it." Both men pleaded not guilty.

Kate

I can't believe this guy has even been charged with murder. This country makes it more acceptable for one celebrity to brutally murder his wife (you all know who I'm talking about), but condemn another for a stupid mistake, yes he was breaking and entering but the fact remains that he more than likely did not intend, or has never intended to kill someone. He was not armed, he did not shoot and I do not believe he knew his accomplice was armed.

February 09 2006 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EJD

Well he certainly is an accessory, the facts are quite clear. He was committing a crime, and faced with resistance him as an accomplice killed a police officer. In court if the prosecution can prove that Lillo Brancato did in fact have knowlege of the weapon prior to perpetrating this crime, he will go away for a long long time, as he should.

January 16 2006 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zarbon

Lillo Brancato is my 2nd most favorite actor in the world. I seriously don't care what charges are brought up against him. He will never stop from being my 2nd most favorite actor in the world. He plays all the roles I love. He was my 2nd most favorite character on the Sopranos, Matthew Bevilaqua. My most favorite actor in the world is Anthony Desando and he plays Brendan Filone on the Sopranos. I don't care about these charges. I have loved Lillo Brancato for 13 years now and nothing will stop that. NOTHING. I love you Lillo Brancato. Get well soon so you can play all those awesome mafia roles again.

January 11 2006 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Howard Schumann

I think we are condemning this man without a trial. This is not the American way. He is charged with second degree murder. In order for someone to be found guilty of second degree murder the government must prove that the person killed another person; the person killed the other person with malice aforethought; and the killing was premeditated. None of these apply in this case. Brancato was unarmed and did not kill anyone. He should be charged only as an accessor and of course for breaking and entering.

January 11 2006 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

You are correct it is not worse, but it is more egregious solely for the fact that the police are the only barrier between citizens and the criminal element. If someone gets to the point of murdering a cop, they are far more dangerous to the general public than the average criminal.

January 10 2006 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Ferley, not that I condone this bastards actions at all but care to explain to me why killing a cop is much worse than killing a regular person?

January 10 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dominic a

This Guy is an ass. On the Sopranos he was a jerk-off, and now he is a COP KILLER.Now we montior his every move, and really care that he was in court today. The NYPD should have beat him to death. The officer death has to be replayed all the time and there is no resect for him or his family. I am glad that the cop that passed shot this jerk off's and too bad he did not kill them both. But now the cop killers should just go to jail and the american public should never hear from him again.

January 10 2006 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply