July 29, 2014

Gilmore Girls: The Perfect Dress

by Joel Keller, posted Jan 11th 2006 12:12PM
Lorelai in a wedding dressI just looked up my last recap of a Gilmore Girls episode and I noticed that it was dated November 23. November 23! I didn't realize it had been that long since the WB saw fit to give us a "fresh" episode. I wonder why they took six weeks to get us a new episode; in my experience, people's memories of a show's storylines start to fade after the show's been off the air for a month. So at the six week mark, people need a little refresher, which is not a good thing. I mean, could it have killed The Powers That Be to give us a new one on, say, December 18 or something to help us out?

Ok, enough bitching. If you want to know how we got here, read the last recap. You'll need it to follow the leap from that pre-Thanksgiving episode to today's January-themed hijinks.

How do I know that time has passed? Well, the episode starts with Lorelai and Rory recounting for Luke their long-delayed trip to Atlantic City for Rory's 21st birthday. The funniest thing about it is that they tried to see the non-canine Paul Anka but they got the dates wrong. But they bought Luke a t-shirt anyway. Cute. Cute bit.

Lorelai starts semi-planning the wedding with Sookie, finds the perfect dress by accident, and everything falls into place -- dress, invitations, date, catering, everything. It even snows as Lorelai starts explaining things to Luke, and as we know "the snow doesn't lie." She starts freaking out to Rory though, thinking that things were too easy. Rory moves into the semi-slum-like apartment of Paris and Doyle, and the usual Paris-esque uptight wackiness surrounds her. Meanwhile, Rory is stalked by Logan, who broke up with her via his sister; he tells her he loves her, and she tries to ignore it, later exploding into comedic tears with the school therapist (people who leave school prematurely get a session -- or more -- with the school shrink if they return). The scene was funny, but I didn't buy Alexis Bledel's crying jag for a second. It made the scene a bit more slapsticky than it should have been. Oh, well. At least the zingy back-and-forth between Rory and Lorelai is back, so all is forgiven.

Anyway, Lane, who's moved back in with her mom after the dissolution of the band and her breakup from Zach, is angry all the time. She snaps at customers, and is overall dark and gloomy. Mrs. Kim, seeing her daughter in pain, closes all the drapes and shades, sits down with her, and -- amazingly enough -- the two knock back a couple of shots of what is probably some ultra-strong Korean whiskey. "It's been six weeks. You've grieved. Now it's time to move on." Mrs. Kim has officially become almost as cool a mom as Lorelai. Almost.

Meanwhile, Luke seeks out Anna Nardini, the mother of his newly-discovered daughter April (curiously enough, Anna is played by Sherilynn Fenn, who played the girlfriend of Jess' father in an episode three years ago... curious coincidence), seeking to contribute to her care. Later, after viewing April's website -- who knew Star's Hollow had all that WiFi? -- he calls Anna seeking actual contact with April. Now, though he has to tell Lorelai. He goes to her house to tell her, but when she comes down in that perfect dress -- yeah, yeah, bad luck and all -- he doesn't have the heart to tell her. Annndd... scene. Roll credits.

NOOOOOO! Why, why, why are they stretching this out for another week? Of course, the teaser for next week's episode reveals exactly how Lorelai finds out about April, but I won't say anything because I don't want to condone the actions of the WB's loose-lipped promotions department. But I will say that the revelation might jeopardize Lorelai and Luke. Or at least that's what the promo said. And Amy Sherman-Palladino. And just about every writer and blogger that writes about GG. Guess Lorelai was right about things not being easy. But we've seen this coming, haven't we?

(Oh, and I didn't like the dress either. Made Lauren Graham look kind of frumpy. Just sayin'.)

Chloe

Diana, I think you mean Lauren Graham, not Heather. Anyways, I guess I'm the only one who liked Lorelai's dress. It was something different for her. Her dresses all tend to have the same silhouette.

January 20 2006 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

Hey Tony , GG is all about the banter and maybe you didnt get it because this is black belt banter so maybe it was to fast for you. To better your word knowledge I suggest verbal judo 101 and about the shooting your self, dont. Once you get it you will see the beauty of this 400 words per minute conversation.
As to Rorys breakdown this was classic Amy Sherman-Paladino humor, and Gilmore history, I remember something similar in season two or three, Rory is resisting her desire to talk and then she opens her mouth and she just goes off like lorelei did.

The off to Yale scene was like old school Hollywood , where one actor does all there lines solo.

To Amy Sherman-Paladino, if your going to end GG please end this love story with your best stuff,
up tell now its been terrific.

January 13 2006 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Yeah, that scene where Rory leaves looked pretty disjointed, picture-wise. It looked like Lauren Graham was doing her scene indoors and the background was green-screened in place, while Alexis Bledel was doing her scene outdoors. Kinda odd.

January 12 2006 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

doc is totally right. That scene when Rory was leaving for Yale was filmed weirdly. My husband and I watch the show in Hi-Def, so we were wondering if everyone could see the disconnect. Clearly, they didn't film it together. Furthermore, Lorelei looked liked she was in front of a backdrop (maybe in a stage, making it look like later in the day), while Rory's portion looked fine.

And yes, the rumor is that Heather Graham and Scott Patterson just do not get along, and I think it's beginning to show in the Luke-Lorelei relationship.

Regardless, glad the show is back!

January 12 2006 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Addie

Is it just me or is Lauren Graham off her game this year? There seems to be something missing. I agree with Liza that the Loralai-Luke relationship often comes off as not real. There seemed to be more affection between them before they started dating.

I still love the show and hope it can reclaim the the things that made it so special in previous seasons.

January 12 2006 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Very nice recap. Was is just me, or did anyone else find the scene when Rory is about to leave to go back to school looked terrible? On my copy anyway, it looked like they were at two differnt times of day. Say, Rory was talking at 2PM, Lorelai at 5PM. Strange, and coupled with that awful wedding dress it makes me wonder if parts of the production team were still on hiatus.

Gripes aside, this was a good episode for non Rory/Lorelai characters. It was nice to see Paris in full Paris mode. Just the right amount of Kirk. Good stuff with Lane and her mother. And I really like the building story with Luke and April. Although I do agree that they are stretching it out a little much.

January 11 2006 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Leslie, they went on the AC trip and pretended it was Rory's birthday, kind of as a way to make up for lost time. They had planned the trip forever but couldn't go because of their feud; now that they were back together, they decided to go.

I wondered about the band break-up myself, because they never explained why Lane was back home. Based on the last episode (*Seven* weeks ago), I would imagine Zach's antics would break up both the band and his relationship with Lane.

As for recaps, Leslie, look no further than here:

January 11 2006 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie Bell

Unfortunately I had fallen asleep and awoke to see just the second half of last night's show, so the comments here helped to fill in some of the gaps. I, too, hate the dress. Lauren Graham had 10 from which to choose and this is the one that won out? The bodice reminds me of those fancy baby panties with all the ruffles.

There have been so many repeats lately that I may not be remembering things clearly, but I thought that Lorelai and Rory had always dreamed of spending Rory's 21st birthday in Atlantic City, but didn't because they were on the outs. Did I miss something? Also, when did Lane and the band breakup? Were these both in the first half hour that I missed?

TVSquad, thank you for confirming what my eyes saw. I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I saw Sherilynn Fenn as April's mother last night when I knew, as you did, that she played the girlfriend of Jess' father (Rob Estes) when Jess sought him out in California and met her first. I guess we're just supposed to forget that.

How do I get to past recaps of this show? This is my first time commenting here and I'm not that familiar with this site. Thanks

January 11 2006 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liza

i hated that dress. and i also thought Rory's crying was kinda fake, but then i realized cause i don't think she ever really cries on the show, but she was kind of freaking out so maybe that's why it seemed so weird.
at first when they came back from atlantic city i was like, something's different. maybe cause it hasn't been on in so long, but i don't know. also, the relationship between lorelei and luke always seems soooo fake. like they're being FORCED to act like they like each other. they're not acting like that at all.

January 11 2006 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maria

I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan and I am all too happy that the Rory and Lorelai banter is back.
But I will be upset if the Lorelai Luke relationship doesn't all work out. I know I knowsome will think that the relationship will result in the jumping of the shark, but I like the idea of them together and April being a part of that.
I get the feeling that April is very much how Rory-like character and that watching Lorelai with her will be like seeing Lorelai and Rory together in years before the show started.

And Joel, thanks for your posting and enthusiasm about the show. I had the same reaction to the shows abrupt ending. However, can't wait for the next episode! :)

PS. That wedding dress is a "full-on Monet"

January 11 2006 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply