October 31, 2014

Lost: The 23rd Psalm

by Keith McDuffee, posted Jan 11th 2006 10:48PM
lost monster
(Spoiler warning: Don't look up)

OK, with that out of the way, let's talk tonight's Lost. Once again we're left with more questions than answers, though overall I'd say this was a good episode. Not great, but good. revelations about Eko, Charlie, the "monster" and ... Walt, maybe?

Actually, I take that back ... there's really not a whole lot revealed about the monster in this episode; that's actually where there are more questions. Though I do have to say things are pointing toward the nanotech theory a lot more now. The mist seemed to read Eko's mind, possibly drawing out what he fears (or doesn't fear). There were definitely images related to Eko flashing in there, and I did my best to capture them (sorry they're not all that large and a bit dark):

Eko's first encounter with the mist, as they just stare at each other.

Definitely a church, on the right. The steeple is very clear.

Possibly Eko's brother, on the left. There's clearly a priest outfit happening there.

Eko holding his dead brother at the plane?

This one wasn't so clear to me, but it was definitely one of the flashes.

This is another one I can't quite make out.

Definitely a person, probably a woman, dead center. Virgin Mary statue?

A plane crashing?

Not sure with this one.

Anyway, our very own Ryan will likely let you know what each of these really is in the Lost Podcast coming up tomorrow.

As far as the rest of the show, I'm thinking that's not Walt on the computer at all. Someone's luring Michael from the group, and the fact that he was asked if he was alone was a good indication of that. But where is it telling him to go?

Then of course there's Charlie, who surprisingly has been storing a LOT of those Mary statues. But why? Can someone who's seemingly kicked a nasty habit be able to restrain themselves from using when it's all right there for the taking, or has Charlie been using all this time?

What about the Nigerian plane? How could it have gotten out into the Pacific? Could it be a Bermuda-Triangle effect going on, some sort of dimensional weirdness? Or are the people on this island not where they think they are?

Let's hear your thoughts!

Eko

i think that that the black fog is anti-matter. Has anyone read the book "Angels and Demons". It said that there was matter wich all things on earth are made of and anti-matter. When teh two colide the anti-matter conquers the matter and they explode. This would explain why it blasts through trees.

May 11 2006 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I know this has nothing to do with this particular episode...but I believe that this show is all about religion. Everyone is finding their way through a dangerous place, trying to get home. The island is a microcosm of the world. Walt is their jesus and they are trying to find him.

January 26 2006 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marisa

In response to Alex's comments, post #25...

Alex talks about Hactar, a computer from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series that had been blown to bits and scattered as a dust cloud around a solar system. Hactar had the ability to produce images (holograms) out of thin air completely of his own volition.

Remember when Locke recently pieced together the Dharma film that had been spliced? The missing piece warned about not tampering/tinckering with the computer (and referred vaguely to a previous episode/accident that had ocured because someone tried to use the computer for something other than the number sequence/button). Maybe that first "accident" created the black smoke monster...hmmm those pesky rogue computers.

January 18 2006 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronit

i don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but in the credits the drug dealers were called 'morroccan drug dealer #1 and #2"...sayid is iraqi...very very dif...

January 14 2006 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie

Does anyone know the name of The Kinks song Charlie was irritating Jin with?

January 14 2006 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

Everything on the island is a manifestation of someone's thoughts. Some of the manifestations are a combination of multiple survivors thoughts. The drug plane is Eko's. Desmond was Jack's. The hatch is Locke's (his need to have faith in something). Kate's horse. Hurley's numbers.

January 13 2006 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Frost

I wonder if this is what Mr. Eko was thinking when he faced the monster:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

January 13 2006 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kat

Did anyone else notice or remember that Eko was dressed in Black Tie when he crashed into the ocean? He is still wearing the remains of a tattered tuxedo shirt. Not many people travel across the globe in full black tie. It gives the feeling that his journey could have been a last minute decision escaping out of a big event (wedding or party?) Could lead to another very cool back story...

January 13 2006 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Until I came here, I wasn't thinking that the black smoke was "the" monster. I thought it was something more like the ghost of his brother. Perhaps too simple for Lost, perhaps not.

January 13 2006 at 2:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

All I want to say is HELL YEAH did I nail Eko's backstory right on the head. Ryan will back me up on it, too. Great episode, I thought. Made me feel all warm and squishy inside being right about Eko and feeling right-er about the nanotech.

January 13 2006 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply