September 2, 2014

Did Law and Order change their font?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 12th 2006 2:15PM

Famed investigative journalist Paul Davidson dives into a possibly meaty story here: did Law and Order make a subtle change to the font on their title?

In all fairness to Law and Order Executive Producer Dick Wolf, Davidson isn't sure if it's really a new font or if, um, the TV signal is different or the high-def or something.

I haven't watched the show that much in the past two years, so I haven't noticed anything. Readers?

Andrew Larson

Does anyone know where to find the L&O Friz Quadrata font for free on the information superhighway? If Mr. Wolf won't indulge me with this breathtaking font then I'm forced to download and print it out myself in order to get my rocks off...

January 17 2007 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maryan

Well, maybe they'll have throwback jersey nights where we get to watch the original non "get-out-your-measuring-stick" fonts.

January 16 2006 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maryan

January 16 2006 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich Keller

Yes, the font for the scene titles changed starting with the 2nd half of the season. It's definitely smaller. I think this was done because they moved into a 'letterbox' format for all of the franchise.
The easiest way to verify this is to watch the rebroadcasts of L&O (TNT), SVU (USA) and CI (USA and Bravo).

January 12 2006 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BoyWonder

The font has definitely changed. Has been that way for a couple of weeks. I appears that the font is smaller or takes up less screen space. My wife thinks I'm nuts for noticing, but what's a guy to do? I'm an L&O geek, and there's not shame in admitting it.

January 12 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

The typeface itself (Friz Quadrata) has not changed, but its specifications have. When L&O started in the late 80s, the type was probably set in phototype and then shot with a title camera so that it could be combined with the film footage in an optical printer.

Now, it's set with a computer (probably in Final Cut or Avid--whichever they use) and added as part of the post-production process. And I'm not sure about the original flavor, but SVU recently started airing in letterboxed 16x9 format, so all the type is much smaller so that it fits in the image area.

It's funny--I just noticed this change this week.

January 12 2006 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Slow news day, huh?

January 12 2006 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Davidson

Let me just clarify, Bob. It's not the opening TITLE, it's the font of the titles within each episode when you transition from scene to scene.

It's changed. No question about it.

January 12 2006 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply