October 22, 2014

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes on Ellen

by Karina Longworth, posted Jan 12th 2006 11:45AM
tomcruisekatieholmes.jpgOkay, first of all, let's be fair: Ellen's "exclusive" interview with Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes? Um, she actually just sort of ran into them – her "old friends" – at CES and cobbled together a small on-the-spot crew for a brainless, 2-minute chat. Because neither Tom nor Katie is inherently interesting on their own, Ellen had to work overtime to stretch the dialogue out to fill the segment. She chose the "name your baby after me" angle:

Ellen: "Have you thought about a Godmother?"
Tom (wearing sunglasses inside and freeze-smiling like an android): "Not yet - are you available?"
Ellen: "Have you thought of a name?
Tom (android laughter): "Not yet."
Ellen: "Ellen."
Tom (more android laughter): "If its a boy?"
Ellen: "Dylan."

Then they just kind of babbled for a long time. Tom said that "Kate" had just learned how to snowboard, and "Kate" said, "Snowmobile", and dipped her head into Tom's neck. Ellen looked on, confused, until Tom changed the subject: "Inside joke."

This was the closest it got to resembling an actual conversation between human beings:

Ellen: "I'm serious about really helping out. How often do babies have to eat?"
Tom: "I think it's a couple of times a week?"

So, all in all, pretty crazy-free, and as such, thoroughly disappointing. But Ellen fans would still be well served by tuning in – at the end of the show, she bumps-and-grinds with the Pussycat Dolls, and it's totally worth the wait.

usie Dale

Everyone probably knows how it is. There are just some people you instinctively know if you met them you would not like them. That's how I have always felt about TC and this was before he ever jumped on a sofa and made a fool out of himself by opening his mouth. I don't even think he is that bad of an actor. Two movies that I enjoyed A Few Good Men and The Firm Were good despite Tommy Cruise starring in them.

February 01 2006 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maureen Rocks

I liked som of Tom Cruise movies & think he's a good actor. He is just a human being & sometimes people forget this about actors & actresses. They are playing a part in their movies.

I don't think it was very nice that when Nicole miscarried their baby, Tom Nicole cheated on him because he couldn't have kids, but now he says Katie is pregnant with his baby. He was wrong on 1 of these things. LOL

February 01 2006 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carylle

I was never really a fan of Tom Cruise before, because he seems to be so perfect and untouchable. Now he seems to be more down to earth and he could'nt really care less if he looks goofy at all. He and Katie seems to be genuinely in love and I think they look great together. Katie is a very beautiful and well-bred lady. Very un-Hollywood, just what Tom needs. People should just give them a break and leave them alone. I love them.

January 14 2006 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Herman

John F. Kennedy was 36 when he married Jacqueline who was 24. Charles and Dianna were 33 and 19. Get over it.

January 14 2006 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RENEE

Tom is terrible he needs a life and he is in a cult. I use to like him and his movies i threw them all out and will never and i do mean never watch anything of his again. bashing people for needing medication is not funny you idiot.Grow up and get a real job

January 13 2006 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

The worst thing Tom Cruise ever did was tell Matt Lauer that he didn't know as much about Psychiatry as he does, because he's really studied it's history, which is what Citizen's Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) does. CCHR is an activist orgainzation that is reforming Psychiatry, working to get new laws passed so Psychs have less chance to violate your human rights. The second worst thing Tom Cruise ever did was jump on a couch, enthusiastically. If Jim Carrey had done it, who would've cared? To my next point, how many celebrities get together, despite age? Why aren't all of them in the tabloids, being ridiculed? It's time to move on.

January 13 2006 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MELANIE

I AGREE W/YOU DEN. WAS I A TOM CRUISE "FAN" NOT REALLY. I LIKE a lot OF HIS MOVIES AND DON'T HATE OR LOVE HIM. HIS RECENT COMMENTS ABOUT BROOK SHIELDS & AND THAT INTERVIEW W/MATT L. REALLY TURNED ME OFF COMPLETELY. HE'S ADOPTED THIS PREACHY "I KNOW MORE THAN YOU" ATTITUDE. ESPECIALLY DURING HIS TALK W/MATT HE KEPT GOING ON ABOUT HOW HE'S READ ALL THIS STUFF ON PSYCHOLOGY AND HE SAYS TO MATT..YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I KNOW, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND PSYCHOLOGY "LIKE I DO," AND YOU DON'T READ AND KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE HISTORY OF PSYCHOLOGY. HE MADE THE SAME FOOLISH, INSULTING & CONDESCENDING REMARKS ABOUT BROOK & POSTPARTUM. TOM DOESN'T KNOW BROOK OR MATT. THEY COULD HAVE READ A THOUSAND BOOKS ABOUT PSYCHOLOGY OR STUDIED IT IN COLLEGE. WHO DOES TOM THINK HE IS? I'D NEVER BE AS ARROGANT OR VAIN TO PRESUME I KNEW MORE THAN SOMEONE ELSE. I DEFINITELY DON'T HATE TOM, BUT I HAVE LOST a lot OF RESPECT FOR HIM.

January 13 2006 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Helen Bath

I love Tom Cruise! I think it's great he's finally with someone who will have a baby and isn't worried about her appearance because she's been pregnant. And yes, I am part of Team Aniston as well.

January 13 2006 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

I saw this interview and can only say, 'What's with the sunglasses?'. Obviously they both think they are 'too cool' to be seen au-natural....either that or they don't want people to see how dazzed and confused they both really are. All I can say is: get over yourselves! This is one former fan who is SICK to death of these two.

January 13 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply