October 23, 2014

FOX screws Arrested Development. Again.

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 13th 2006 7:07PM

Arrested DevelopmentIt's official: FOX hates Arrested Development.

How else to explain this scheduling decision? They've scheduled the final four episodes to run in a 2 hour block (so far, so good...) on Friday, February 10...against the opening night of the Olympics. [Insert heavy sigh here.]

This is bad on so many levels. First of all, even without the whole Olympics thing, it's a Friday night, one of the least-watched nights of TV during the week (next to Saturday). And it's also up against NBC's coverage of the Olympics opening ceremonies. It's as if FOX said, "you're a really funny, high quality, critically-adored show that we won't support, and now we'll kick you in the genitals!"

I can understand cancelling a show because it doesn't get good ratings. That's a business decision (though I would think the network would understand the value of critical success, fan fervor, and buzz). But why do they treat the show like it has cooties and they have to keep it away from other shows, or hide it like it's they're embarrassed by even having it on the schedule?

richard uk

hey am from the uk an i think arrested development is one of the best american shows created. hilarious comdey and intelligently written comedy too it takes alot to come up with their jokes etc. its really is a sad day when people start canning shows that are doing well i mean it got a ****ing future classic award doesnt that mean anything. fox need to realise there taking too many good shows away from people as said already family guy was tremendous, futurama excellent, yet the simpsons which i have seen repeated over an over an over again here carries on. the simpsons is outdated and dull an i feel once an for all should be binned after the movie comes out. i mean over here we pay tv tax i dont know if this is the same in america but if so shouldnt we be the ones picking what stays an what goes i mean we ****ing pay for it!?!?!

April 05 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladysugarwalls

the ppl from my name is earl wont let anything but the office be after there show

January 29 2006 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Anderson

Ah, good. Thanks for letting me know to record Fox on February 10th. Screw the Olympics.

January 22 2006 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mattmedia

it does seem perfect on NBC.

January 22 2006 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dustin

At least with the death of Arrested Development doesn't come the death of the talent from the show. Hopefully the show lasts but if it doesn't people like Will Arnett are sure to find a niche elsewhere. If you haven't seen him on Conan he was genius.
You can watch it here:

January 17 2006 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

Listen up NBC!!!

Count my vote in also for a killer NBC thursday night.

I don't care what order they are in but as long as these four shows are on NBC, it's TV's version of Baseballs Murderers Row.

8:00 "My Name Is Earl"

8:30 "Arrested Development"

9:00 "The Office"

9:30 "Scrubs"

10:00 "E.R."

January 16 2006 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

The thing is if "AD" moves to ABC or Showtime that they will have to know if Fox is going to renew "AD" for another season or not because they have to announce their fall schedules (atleast ABC does) in the spring and will need to give "AD" a timeslot if Fox doesn't pick it up.

Personally I'd like to see NBC pick up "AD" and put it on Thursdays.

8:00 "My Name Is Earl"
8:30 "Arrested Development"
9:00 "The Office"
9:30 "Scrubs"
10:00 "E.R."

January 16 2006 at 5:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladysugarwalls

i fing hate them y friday that fing suxs the fans are going to be looking for it on a monday

January 15 2006 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micky

Well at least if fox drops it there's a good chance that showtime or abc will pick up the show for a 4th season and it will be good to see the show go to a network that will advertise it properly and give it a good slot.

January 15 2006 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frightened Inmate No. 2

Personally, I don't think Fox has done so terribly by Arrested Development. Remember Wonderfalls? That was a good show that got yanked after just four episodes. AD ran for most of its life right after the SImpsons, which I would have thought the best possible time slot.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there who simply don't like Arrested Development. I think that's because the show is so genuinely innovative that some people just haven't figured it out right away-- but they have their reasons, whatever they may be.

I just read an article in the Chicago Tribune that says AD still hasn't been officially cancelled by FOX. (The url for the article is ridiculously long, and I don't know if I can post HTML here, so I'll just let you google it if you like) It also says that not only Showtime, but ABC has expressed interest. So I'm not giving up hope yet... A premium cable venue might be the perfect home.

The "SAVE OUR BLUTHS" grassroots movement does have a sort of "Get A Life" quality to it. If the worst happens, let's not get so distraught that it didn't last forever that we lose sight of what we have. Three seasons of Arrested Development, even with the one short , represents a lot of excellent television that stands up admirably to repeated viewings. I'm gonna keep buying those DVDs. And one's for certain, at my house, nobody's gonna be watching the damn Olympics!

January 15 2006 at 3:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply