December 18, 2014

Frey threatens Smoking Gun with lawsuit

by Bob Sassone, posted Jan 13th 2006 1:12PM

I hate going through long legal briefs, but basically author James Frey has threatened The Smoking Gun with a multi-million dollar lawsuit if the site or anyone from the site describes Frey as a "liar" or says that he fabricated events in the book.

We all knew this was coming, right? The interesting thing is, this letter from his attorneys is dated January 6, almost a week before he was on Larry King Live, and Frey didn't mention a possible lawsuit at all. Of course, King didn't ask Frey if he thought about suing the site, so it's not as if he's just going to give up that information.

For the record, I was underwhelmed by Frey's explanations/defense on King's show. I understand that almost all memoirs have events that are changed, names that are changed, and time that is compressed, but he wrapped he whole defense in this touchy-feely, Oprah-ish, "if this book helps other addicts" emotional cocoon, as if that explains away what the Smoking Gun uncovered. And having his mom and Oprah on at the end was just icing on the cake.

Seth Mnookin gives his take at Slate, while Meghan O'Rourke wonders if it matters if memoirs are true or not.

john delong

"truth" has been attacked as a criterion or even as existant.
James frey although brilliant feels mistreated when he is discovered as a fraud in a culture where lies have been embraced in every institution. His crime although reprehensible is par for the course and should be treated in context of the culture of relativistic values where essential truth has been overturned as a philosophic oddity.

January 14 2006 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hooker

I find you group BS the book is a great book and has done a lot of good. I find the man going on all these showes insulting Oprah is a fool and I would give no credit to anything more he or your web site says about anything.
Oprah has a better rep then you do and I find you andyour group nothing more then trash
John

January 14 2006 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candace

Regardless how you feel about the book, it is again selling like hot cakes..backlog of patrons at the library awaiting it..Oprah sells, period!

January 13 2006 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arun

I bet they are really, really scared.. Yeah right. If its true, then its true. He should just admit it and go on getting high and drinking. That's the way it should be.

January 13 2006 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneCharmingBastard

Considering what a culture of un-truth we seem to be living in these days, I guess I'm not that shocked. Oprah may be, but me, not so much. As another recovering addict, just because the poison has been expunged from the system doesn't mean the core of the character has been changed (case in point - the POTUS).

"As long as it helps an addict" - nice sentiment, but just as Karen Hughes was taken to task by Tucker Carlson over, a lie is still a lie, even if the end justifies the means. Lies are eventually revealed to be what they are, and truth is the only thing that can ever really hurt you. That being said, maybe his truths hurt too much.

In the meantime, looking for a publisher of my five years (okay, it was two and a half) worth of crystal meth addiction stories, tenatively titled "A Million And One Bigger Pieces".

January 13 2006 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneCharmingBastard

January 13 2006 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

I had a run-in just this morning (detailed on my blog) where I asked somebody with Frey's book if she'd heard the stories, and she mindlessly spouted back, "Yes, I don't believe them. Oprah helps people." The scary part was that it was coupled with "People shouldn't make Oprah mad, she's very powerful."

You're making Oprah angry. You wouldn't like her when she's angry. Oprah smash!

January 13 2006 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply