October 26, 2014

Dane Cook's very own HBO special

by Annie Wu, posted Jan 14th 2006 7:04PM
Dane CookDane Cook just revealed a big secret to his fans on his MySpace and website: he's going to have his very own HBO special! In case you didn't know, an SNL guest spot (which Dane has already conquered... in fact, his appearance created the highest ratings for the show in two years) and an HBO special are two huge milestones in any comedian's career. Dane will return to his hometown of Boston on April 15, 2006 for the taping (in the massive TD Banknorth Garden) and, as of right now, you can take advantage of the pre-sale by coming here and using the password SUFI (Su-Fi is short for "super-finger"... learn more about it here).

Mister Dane Cook, I offer you a hearty congratulations and a fully-deserved "rok on" Su-Fi.

blueguydotcom

I had no reason to bash him when he was just in clubs sucking up the comedy. Now that he's gone mainstream and every frat boy on earth loves him, I'm stuck listening to people prattle on and on about that twat. His time will pass. Thankfully comedian shelf-life is short. Chris Rock's finally out of our hair. Dice. Drew Carey. Jim Carrey, etc.

January 15 2006 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Voice of Reason

I'll bite. Comedy is a very relative thing; what makes one person laugh will make another person scoff. If you don't like Dane's standup, don't watch. It's a very simple concept. No one is forcing you to Tivo him or buy a ticket.

As for his fans, they're going to watch. Dane Cook fans are loyal and rabid. Mention him, and they're bound to quote something from his act. His fans put him at number 4 on Billboard and now at the helm of his own HBO special. Economically speaking, his fans voted with their dollars and now HBO wants some of those dollars too. It's not rocket science.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course. My take: the more popular a person becomes, the more often that person will be bashed on the Internet. In the mean time, Dane Cook continues to be one B.A.M.F. taking over the world.

January 15 2006 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

I like him. He reminds me of Will Ferrel in his appearance (look at the picture) and the way he speaks sometimes. Other than that, his work is pretty decent.

January 15 2006 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Davis

He sucks. He's like that annoying loud, screaming drunk guy at a party that you're not sure who invited.

January 15 2006 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bgdc

am I the only the male under 35 who thinks Dane Cook's suckage is only surpassed by Pauly Shore? I tivoed his SNL and ended up fast-forwarding through his awful stand up routine. his jokes were obvious and poorly conceived. Every punchline is on display long before Dane's ego gets him to the "laugh." Honestly, I'd rather be spend a nice weekend with Jeff Dahmer and Pol Pot than EVER see that guy again.

BTW, I've seen Cook several times live too...always bad. Always.

January 15 2006 at 2:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply